• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Compressing helium using a omega turbocharger?

If i were you id feed 10-15psi into a 1-2gal tank and connect that to your input. That way you have a "buffer" and wont starve the compressor.
Should be quite simple and doable.

You will see a substantiable loss as the Helium molecules will seap through your piston rings and into the crankcase and out.

If you want to do this on a regular basis a gas Booster is by far a better solution with very little waste/blowby!
Feed it 150psi Helium on the input and it will output 4500psi while using a shop compressor for work air.

Reactions: Smitty911
Helium is a Nobel Gas, expensive and getting hard to come by.

"Helium gas is plentiful in space – it is a by-product of fusion reactions occurring inside stars. However, the helium gas we can find on earth, which is then stored in helium gas tanks for usage in many critical applications, is limited. "

How about just Nitrogen for more performance, we have Boat Loads of that.

"Helium gas is plentiful in space – it is a by-product of fusion reactions occurring inside stars. However, the helium gas we can find on earth, which is then stored in helium gas tanks for usage in many critical applications, is limited. "

If the man wants to experiment with the very edge of what a given airgun can achieve, then why not?
Compared to baloon fills, TIG velding and MRI scanning those farts his gun will expell will acount to nothing.

Calm down, grab a beer and relax ;-)

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I'm the guy feeding Nitrogen to my compressor's both GX-cs2 and a Tuxing twin, I used to work in the compressed gas biz for about 45 years and helium would be an awesome gas to use but the cost is very high especially compared to Nitrogen your gun would shoot probably about 30% faster with Helium but you would also use about the same 30% loss per shot count helium would also test ALL your seals as it is such a small molecule it will find all your leaks.

If the man wants to experiment with the very edge of what a given airgun can achieve, then why not?
Compared to baloon fills, TIG velding and MRI scanning those farts his gun will expell will acount to nothing.

Calm down, grab a beer and relax ;-)
Chickenthief,
At the end of the day, I could care less what he does, I'm not the Government ;)

If he's got the money and time, go for it, report back. Seems like a waste of time when most people need more time behind the trigger to improve their shooting skills. Wouldn't just changing the Velocity (Tuning your gun) do the same thing? If the system isn't accurate at X, than adding an expensive options probably won't improve it.

By beer did you mean and 18 Year Old McCallan Scotch? :unsure:
I'll be shooting my Brocock pair this weekend, Bantam .25 that I have reg to install on, and some more time behind my Sniper XR, while me Red Wolf is getting some repairs.

Okay Thanks for the information. I probably will go with nitrogen because I already have some at home from doing refrigeration work.

Chickenthief,
At the end of the day, I could care less what he does, I'm not the Government ;)

If he's got the money and time, go for it, report back. Seems like a waste of time when most people need more time behind the trigger to improve their shooting skills. Wouldn't just changing the Velocity (Tuning your gun) do the same thing? If the system isn't accurate at X, than adding an expensive options probably won't improve it.

By beer did you mean and 18 Year Old McCallan Scotch? :unsure:
I'll be shooting my Brocock pair this weekend, Bantam .25 that I have reg to install on, and some more time behind my Sniper XR, while me Red Wolf is getting some repairs.
Yeah mate i'd go for that and let you off easy :)

Some go for the fermented grain at once (beer) and some wait for the destilled delight.
Same with wine.

I used to pump Helium into my Career 707 using both a hand pump and an Axor compressor. For the hand pump, I just put the pump into a large garbage bag and then filled the big with low-pressure Helium from a disposable tank for filling balloons. The current disposable tanks have 20% of regular air mixed in with Helium and get generally bad reviews.

For the Axor compressor I fed the Helium to the intake port of the compressor, but I could also have put the entire compressor into a large sealed bag of Helium. Helium pumps up much cooler than air does due to reduced viscosity & friction. It was noticeably easier to pump using a hand pump than air was and hardly heated up my compressor compared to air.

The big issues with Helium these days revolve around the limited access and quite expensive cost. Gas suppliers in the area don't even handle it anymore except for commercial customers due to the restrictions. If I did have a tank shipped here it would run me hundreds of dollars just to fill the tank, plus the cost of buying the tank and possibly needing to shipping it back and forth to a different state for refills. Once the per-shot cost of the Helium alone went up to over a dollar per shot, the 50% to 65% increase in shot power compared to using air wasn't worth it to me anymore. There are PCP guns like the K1 in the market now with adjustable regulators and hammer springs and a min-to-max power range of 5x (~15fpe to ~75fpe). The only limited demand I see for Helium might be in countries where there is a 12fpe power limit on PCP rifles and someone wanted to get some 20fpe shots out of the same rifle without any mechanical adjustments to the gun.

JP

Should probably mention that Helium never seemed to bother the few guns I used it in. I had a 12fpe Falcon F8 (?) air pistol in 22 cal which would generate 20fpe shots on Helium, and my ~62fpe 25 cal Career carbine would get up to 105foe on Helium. Both guns never leaked air or Helium. Some seal materials might swell if exposed to high-pressure Helium for a long time, more likely Helium would slowly leak out past tiny gaps along the edges of the seals.

And, contrary to common urban myth, Helium does not make a gun lighter. But it will certainly make your wallet lighter.

JP

I wouldn't use helium, I'd use (and do use) nitrogen. Starving the compressor for a few seconds isn't a big deal, but I'd watch it and not let it run very long without sufficient inlet pressure. I use a regulator and feed it between 6-10 psi, and have also put a flow gauge on at times just to get a feel for feed rate, but it's not much help in quantifying it, as it's calibrated at 50 psi, and I don't use anything near that. However, it does let me know if the flow hits zero. I also use an empty filter housing as a buffer on the inlet and it stops the pressure gauge or flow gauge from bouncing all over the place. You'd be safe setting the static pressure at 7 psi, and then let er rip. The gauge on mine fluttered between 2.5-7.5 psi while filling. When I added the filter housing, it stopped fluttering and held steady at 5 psi. Works like a charm. In case you're interested, I tried a small filter housing and it did very little to help the flutter, but a large filter housing stopped it dead.