Complete noob

All - brand new here - wanting to get into the PCP game but don’t have a fortune to spend (that was done in fly fishing …). Looking for an all around hunter/shooter in a bullpup configuration - I am considering the Air Venturi Avenger BP in .22 cal, though I’m not enamored with the high scope rail. 30 year Army vet - never shot less than an expert score using M-16A1, M-16A2, M-4, and M-9. Only saying they because my standards for accuracy and dependability are high. Any advise, personal experience, or suggestions will be most welcome. I currently shoot a Gamo break barrel 10 shot mag toy in .177 with a UTC Bug Buster but am not impressed. Looking forward to sharing info, experience, and tighter groups!

80CFD2A0-AC50-4FB8-BF7F-B8424AB60077.jpeg

Welcome! It would be helpful to know your total budget. To get into PCP you will need the rifle, scope, air source, and a Chrono. We can help point out ideas if we know your total budget. You could also just tell us your max price for the rifle. I started with an Umarex Origin kit that included a hand pump. It was $299 and then I put a $100 scope on it, bought some pellets, and was shooting. It was way more accurate than my Gamo break barrel, which I immediately sold.

Check out the Kral line of rifles man. They’re tack drivers with no issues. If you’re not looking for a powerhouse look at the NP03, it’s running around 28 fpe stock in 22cal. Easy to pump and a great little hunter. If you have your eye set on a bullpup the puncher breaker has been good to me. With a little work I got mine up to 43fpe. Great looking walnut on these guns also.
I’ve got three Krals and they’re helping teach my three boys to shoot. They’ve been bumped, banged and dropped with never an issue.

I think if you are wanting a bullpup the high scope mount is a must. Since your cheek weld is on the action it puts your line of sight way above the barrel. Other than being goofy looking I don’t think it causes as much of an issue with airguns as powderburners, just moves your point blank range out a little further. The Kral knight is a semi bullpup and I believe it helps with this issue, but I’ve never handled one. It puts your face back behind the action.

Beau

Check out the Snowpeak P35. It is in the same price range as the Avenger Bullpup, but has a regulator for more consistent velocity.

Reactions: JG063
If you shot that group with Crosman pellets from a Gamo rifle, then hold your head high my friend.
That is a dead squirrel with each pellet, and that ain't nothing to shake your head at.

Welcome to the whirlwind on AGN. You will find opinions, nonsense, total disinformation, and real world solid information and experiences from highly skilled shooters here. It is just like talking to random people at Walmart.....

250 dollar factory refurb origin + 50 dollar china pump and you are good to go with a 50 yard moa rifle. Gun has a 3600 max psi fill but pump to 3000-3100 which will put you in the heart of the power and shoot about 25 times and top back up.
Thats what i do, Avenger in .25, 4-5 mags, top up, with sumo on the end. But JG063, i may buy something this week and maybe selling my A

Welcome aboard. You're fortunate you're getting into airguns now as opposed to 4 or 5 years ago. The "entry level" PCP's available now are more accurate & have more options for tuning then the guns of a while back. Good luck on your quest but be forewarned, your budget will keep "growing" the more addicted you become!

Don't be afraid of the high scope. Once you put your cheek on the comb and your eye is in the scope, there is no difference. I have all manners of guns, from .410, 20 and 12 shotguns, .50 muzzleloaders, Browning Lever Action, SKS, and more .22 long rifles than I want to count - 3 main line .22 have aftermarket stocks to accommodate better sight picture. Airguns include carbine, bullpup, semi-bull pup, and 3 traditional stocks. Bullpups are NOT any less accurate than longer stocks.

The bullpup or even semi-bull pup is a dandy walking rifle platform and they are super easy to shoot from the side by side UTV and from the truck window for ranch work. The design in well proven.

I do want to advise you that not all bullpups are left eye friendly. I have had good success with KRAL and Crosman and poor fit with FX.

Shoot'em Good!

If you shot that group with Crosman pellets from a Gamo rifle, then hold your head high my friend.
That is a dead squirrel with each pellet, and that ain't nothing to shake your head at.

Welcome to the whirlwind on AGN. You will find opinions, nonsense, total disinformation, and real world solid information and experiences from highly skilled shooters here. It is just like talking to random people at Walmart.

I try to hit the sales and close outs where you can get good deals. An example would be the Athlon Talos FFP 4x14 scope on clearance at Midwayusa for $200 with free shipping. Anything you add to the order adds very little to the shipping bc the scope caught the hit for ya. I added three 100 count boxes of CCI 22 LR ammo for a shipping cost of $2.40. Thats a lot of scope for the money. Im sure the new version is better but I doubt its $140 better than the clearance version. If you dig around on this site people have put together carbon fiber fill stations on the cheap using fire dept SCBA tanks with a year or two left on the hydro tag. If possible make friends at the fire dept. They have more clean 4500 psi air than they know what to do with. You will need an adapter to fit their setup. That will easily be $50+ Always work the holiday sales. I got ten percent off at optics planet, used saved up store credits and there is a factory rebate on the scope. In the end I got a $100 scope for $62 with free shipping. As far as ammo goes find out what your guns like and buy at Pyramid Air. Buy three and get one free, free shipping over $150 and you could have gotten a holiday discount for the 7/4. I have a thread about a used Diana M34 in .22 I found in a pawn shop. It had a factory scope and one piece mount that I walked out the door for $150 for a friend. The scope is absolute garbage. The rifle had three bb sized spots of surface rust. The asking price for one new is $380 and Umerx wants $30 for the scope mount. We got it home and upon shooting it I noticed a smell from the past. The smell of factory oil dieseling off. My buddy got a new gun on the cheap. Once the oil burned off it shot five shot groups you could almost cover with a nickel at 25 yards with Crosman domes and that horrible scope from the bench. There were some here poo pooing the deal but I bet they would have been more than happy to get it for them selves. The best deal of all is the wealth of information available here for the asking.

Last edited: