Comparable Scope to the Athlon Cronus

I have an Athlon Cronus that I really like in every way but two things. It’s heavy and only focuses down to 25yds. Is there another scope that compares in image quality and magnification that’s lighter and focuses down to even 15 yds in that price range? I tried a Hawke Frontier and it’s a really nice scope and lighter but it’s not quite as bright and sharp looking through it. What else should I look at?

Probably have to go 'up' in price to something like the March 4.5-28x52 for a FFP scope as far as lighter weight and focuses at 10Y with better IQ than the G2 Cronus.

IMHO, The problem is that the G2 Cronus is the best scope going in this price range as far as street price so its difficult to top it without spending more money.
One example is last year I bought a Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50/ $2185 retail (however I didn't pay retail) and to me its not even in the same league as the Cronus is in build quality. Though the Cronus is much heavier.

If the Cronus has a 34mm tube and 56mm objective, which I believe it does...it will be difficult to find a comparable scope that is much lighter...there are physical parameters in scope design. If you are ok with a 30mm tube and 50mm objective, it is a different story altogether. I'm currently running a Trijicon Tenmile 4-24x50 Long Range in SFP which focuses down to 10 yards and weighs in at 26 oz...10 oz less than the Cronus. I use it primarily for .22LR ELR and can't imagine needing more glass, it's the perfect scope for my uses.

Unless one plans to shoot past 200 yards with a .22LR or air rifle, I don't know why anyone needs a 34mm tubed scope, IMO.

Last edited:
Try Leupold, they are usually the lightest scopes.Your scope is going to be hard to beat,but I see no reason you need to spend that kind of money if you are thinking about shooting 15yds..I need to learn more as to why ,can you please tell me your thinking? Thank you. Oh maybe you want your cake and to eat it to,LOL. Maybe better to get 2 scopes for your needs? Have you thought about a fixed focus scope?

90% of the time I don’t need focus down to 15 yards. There are times shooting pests it would be nice though not very often. I’ve thought about fixed power but trying to find pest birds in a tree sometimes it’s a lot easier to find them in the scope if I can zoom way out to find them. I think I probably do want my cake and the option to eat it too! Preferably with my choice of frosting! I’m just trying to make sure I’m not over looking a better option for my next scope.

Reactions: boscoebrea
If you go used, you can get the focus range you want without sacrificing image quality for very little more than what the cronus cost you. For instance right now someone is selling a zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 with the mil reticle on snipershide for 1750. Won't save you any weight, maybe an ounce at most but does focus to 15 meters. And you won't be giving up any image quality. Problem is, if you haven't been a user on most forums for a long time, you won't be able to buy anything because nobody would trust you unless the two of you are close enough for a FTF cash sale.