• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Compact Scope for Hunter Field Target

The UTG 3-12x44 finally bit the dust on my HW50. I'm looking for some suggestions for a new, fairly compact FT scope for this rig. This scope actually ranged pretty well up until about 40 yards. I've tried the newer UTG 4-16x44 scopes, as well as a Hawke AIRMAX 30 SF COMPACT 6-24X50. I found both of those scopes to be fairly mushy throughout the range. Are there some better options out there?

Thanks!

Reactions: .20calguy
You saw my post on the Athlon Midas Tac for field target. It's not necessarily a compact scope, but it's also not a big fatty Sightron S3 or Falcon X50 or Kahles, or etc. Omitting the sun shade helps to make it seem less "big" as well.

I can see why you'd like compact though, since the HW50 isn't a large gun.

As Dan mentioned, the fixed power SWFA scopes make great springer scopes, since they're nearly indestructible. I in fact still have a 20x SWFA on my HW50 from when I used to compete in Open class piston with it. And their smaller objective bell makes them seem even more compact than a scope the size of the Midas Tac. Problem with the SWFA for field target is the rear focus. It CAN be used to range by focus, but isn't ideal.

HW50S.JPG

Here is my current setup. I like having lots of room for loading, and I like the rear weight balance. This is why I'd prefer a compact scope. It doesn't sound like there are a lot of options though... 🫤

View attachment 392634
Here is my current setup. I like having lots of room for loading, and I like the rear weight balance. This is why I'd prefer a compact scope. It doesn't sound like there are a lot of options though... 🫤
I'm not sure the differences needed in a scope for FT, but... Here's a couple for some overall compact model scopes
They're more toward budget end (~$250ish range) but definitely a step up from most UTG models

Vector Veyron FFP 3-12x44 - only 9.7" length and 17.6oz weight but no illumination (or 4-16, slightly bigger)

WestHunter WHT SFIR FFP 3-12x44 - only 9.57" length and 18.8oz weight (or 4-16, slightly bigger)

Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 IR FFP - a bit longer/heavier at 12.9" length and 23.6oz weight

They all have every other feature you'd want in a scope with decent reticle options as well...I figured these are worth a look compared to the UTGs
I hope this helps somewhat

I'm not sure the differences needed in a scope for FT, but... Here's a couple for some overall compact model scopes
They're more toward budget end (~$250ish range) but definitely a step up from most UTG models

Vector Veyron FFP 3-12x44 - only 9.7" length and 17.6oz weight but no illumination (or 4-16, slightly bigger)

WestHunter WHT SFIR FFP 3-12x44 - only 9.57" length and 18.8oz weight (or 4-16, slightly bigger)

Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 IR FFP - a bit longer/heavier at 12.9" length and 23.6oz weight

They all have every other feature you'd want in a scope with decent reticle options as well...I figured these are worth a look compared to the UTGs
I hope this helps somewhat
Thanks for those options!