Compact bullpup scope

What are you guys using for compact bullpup scopes?

I'm looking to hopefully get a Taipan Veteran Shorty in the future for my pesting needs. The scope that would go on it is my Athlon Ares ETR UHD 3-18x50. It's not a little scope by any means but for what it has its one of the best scopes all around I've found for my uses. Weight wise isn't light at 31oz. Length wise is just over 14". What are you guys using? Im picky with reticles so that's my issue. Hard to beat the APRS6 reticle in my eyes. The Helos 2-12 is really cool but not sure the reticle is exactly what I'll like. Plus only 6oz lighter yet 2" shorter is it really gonna be that much nicer on it? I used to have a Shorty years back and kick myself for getting rid of it. @intenseaty22 has it now. Anyways had a SWFA 10x42 on it and liked it. Length wise no different than the Ares ETR and a much better scope on general. But does carry a good 10oz more. Not sure if anything else out there is comparable. 

Reactions: Ad1150
 Optisan 3-12x32 

This would be my choice at this point for a compact bullpup scope with good glass. I was very happy with my eve 4-16x44. Great glass for the price, light, spot on ranging. Only minus on mine was the turrets but if you don't dial it's a non-issue imo. The tracking is good, the turrets were just mushy and not quite on par with others in the price range as far as feel alone is concerned.

Dillon, check out the shorty forty ll. Big 40 obj to let light in. I like. Tommy
Screenshot_20210512-094610.1620827398.png
Screenshot_20210512-094653.1620827413.png

I am using the Aztec 5.5x25x50 on my compact Impact. Love the clarity and even more the reticle. The chromatic aberration in very specific lighting conditions is not a problem for me. I also have an SWFA 3x14x42 which is very nice as well. It has the more plain Mil Quad reticle. Both of theses scopes come in at 24oz so quite a bit lighter and less expensive than the Ares.

Have an M3 on the way and am thinking about putting my Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50 it is only 21oz. The Leupold scopes are usually pretty lightweight.

Dairyboy,

I recently faced the same dilemma.

The Athlon Ares ETR UHD 3-18×50 has spoiled you so not sure you'll be happy with any of the suggestions so far. After glowing reviews, especially the one by Chuck, I bought an Athlon Ares ETR UHD 3-18×50 and mounted it on my edgun. Yes, it's a very heavy rig but it's set up to shoot prairie dogs from a bench. Wouldn't consider carrying this setup afield. I like this combination for my specific needs and can't wait to get it on some prairie dogs.

Recently acquired a cricket mini carbine to replace my ranchero carbine for my pesting needs. Wanted glass that was on par with the Athlon Ares ETR UHD 3-18×50, with a similar reticle (I like the APRS6 reticle a lot for my needs), lighter weight and an Illuminated Reticle option. Found out this is a lot to ask for. I ended up with the Hawke Frontier 5-25 X 50 with the new H7 optics. It's SFP vs. FFP, is basically the same length as the Athlon Eres, has a similar reticle, and only weighs 2/3 of the Athlon. I've only sighted this combo in and started to mark my side wheel but so far I like the glass. Oh by the way, if you want a sidewheel, it will have to be custom made. Eric Sanders made mine.

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/frontier-sf-5-25x50-mil-pro.html

Hawke 4-16 x 44 mm IR, SF, compact scope.

Length: 296mm / 11.7"

Weight: 621g / 21.9oz

Eye relief: 76mm / 3"

Focus/Parallax - Side Focus 9m - ∞ / 10yds - ∞

Field of View: 10.9 - 2.7m @100m 32.8 - 8.2ft @100yds

Exit Pupil: 11-2.8mm / 0.43-0.11"

Chassis 30mm Mono-tube

Optical System 4-16× Objective 44mm

Illumination Red

Reticle AMX IR

Elevation Increment 1⁄10 MRAD Elevation Adjustment Range: 20 MRAD

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/airmax-30-sf-compact-4-16x44-amx-ir.html

What are you guys using for compact bullpup scopes?

I'm looking to hopefully get a Taipan Veteran Shorty in the future for my pesting needs. The scope that would go on it is my Athlon Ares ETR UHD 3-18x50. It's not a little scope by any means but for what it has its one of the best scopes all around I've found for my uses. Weight wise isn't light at 31oz. Length wise is just over 14". What are you guys using? Im picky with reticles so that's my issue. Hard to beat the APRS6 reticle in my eyes. The Helos 2-12 is really cool but not sure the reticle is exactly what I'll like. Plus only 6oz lighter yet 2" shorter is it really gonna be that much nicer on it? I used to have a Shorty years back and kick myself for getting rid of it. @intenseaty22 has it now. Anyways had a SWFA 10x42 on it and liked it. Length wise no different than the Ares ETR and a much better scope on general. But does carry a good 10oz more. Not sure if anything else out there is comparable.

I am also very picky about reticles. Mess is not my style. I went with a Meopta Optika6 FFP 3-18x50 in Z-plus with very clean 2 MOA wind hold overs but the tree is very simple. Incredible scope IMO. Glass is as good as the super high price stuff at the $1200 price range, very nice zero stop with lockable and resettable turrets, clicks feel incredible and are perfect, tracks perfect, 10y parallax and is correct on the yardage, very little darkness on full power, sight picture is full and enjoyable, illumination is visible in sunlight, weights 30 oz. And it costs $650. Can't beat it. Better than Athlon or Element IMO. Your ETR is also pretty great. You want small, I would not change, I would still pick Meopta over Athlon. 

Almost all the scopes are around 27-30oz nowadays I have noticed. If you want light you will need to give up magnification as you are aware. I was reading about objective size and how it has noting to do with light gathering, it's the tube size. You can go smaller and keep great glass and a lot of light gathering. Maybe go with Meopta Optika6 FFP 1-6x24 with a 34mm main tube, should run you about $500ish. Only 20oz.

I also see a lot of US Optics TS-12 on a lot of compact guns. Not illuminated, but people like them. 

Reactions: peaceful_ruler
I love the MTC 3-12x32 viper connect for really short guns. The low eye relief has the benefit of creating a third touchpoint (eyebrow) on the gun. This adds stability (for me) when shooting offhand (might just be in my mind, not sure).

I have one of these on a .22 Pulsar and like it. The wide angle view is good for hunting and general pesting. Like the zero eye relief as it makes getting the scope lined up for a shot much quicker.

Wow lots of things to look at! Might take awhile.

Just wanted to share my journey down a similar road...

I had an ETR on my MKII (sold) and moved it to my Maverick for ELR from the bench (Fantastic scope!), all be it is the 4.5-30, and it weights in at 34oz, so not much different than your ETR 3-18, a bit heavy for the field. I knew I wanted an upgrade for the bench Maverick as well as a light weight fantastic scope for field work out to 100+- on the WC MK3, which left the ETR moving to the .25 DL Classic. Over the last 4 months I ordered 9 scopes I felt deserved my attention to test based on my research and some reliable hype from you all here.

Based onmy benchmark scope. Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 because it has “Wow” factor, a technical term you all know.

My personal criteria for each discipline, bench and field, are as follows.

• Lightest weight
  • Smooth/Tactile hardware
  • FFP
  • 10-25yd parallax
  • Uncluttered Mil reticle
  • Excellent IQ (Image Quality) for the money
  • Low zoom 3-6
  • High zoom 15-30
  • Warranty

These are the scopes that made it to the test.

• Burris Extreme Tactical XTR III 3.3-18x50
  • Hawke Frontier 30 4-20x50
  • Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50
  • Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44
  • Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 4.5-27x50
  • Crimson Trace Series 5 3-24x56
  • Tract Toric 4-20x50
  • Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50
  • Athlon Helos Gen2 2-12x42

My abbreviated high/low points on each are;

• Burris- Unreal glass! / All adjustment knobs are like a juice blender, Ouch!
  • Hawke- Lightweight King! / Average IQ (Image Quality), hard to focus, turret slop.
  • Midas Tac- Just average at best for the money.
  • Trijicon- Lightweight, great reticle, great DOF / Short focal range.
  • Ares BTR Gen2- So close to the ETR in many respects,but…/ it weights 6oz less and the cost difference is nill. Advantage goes to the ETR.
  • Crimson- IQ (Image Quality) was average for its price / Hardware feel was terrible, it was worth less than the discounted price IMO.
  • Toric-Excellent eyebox, very good IQ / Heavy, turret caps were loose, CA was a bit high.
  • Vortex AMG- Unreal on 95% of my criteria / Slightly larger reticle for the zoom range would be nice.
  • Helos- Athlon nailed it on so many levels, FOV,DOF,IQ,CA,Eyebox,Weight,Price point / Con? Only if you didn’t like the reticle, but give it a chance @ 50-150 yds and see.

As you might have noticed the Vortex AMG and Athlon Helos are the two that checked my boxes enough to keep and are on their respective platforms.

I agree that any SWFA X by X would be a fantastic option.

The Athlon Helos 2-12x42 @ $499 must be experienced to truly appreciate regardless of the reticle (you will get use to it).

Enjoy your search.

Patrick

Last edited:
Reactions: Pfddi