Comment on Moderator lock down

elh0102

Jul 31, 2018
NC
I think the moderators on this web site generally do a great job of keeping the members on point with appropriate discussions. Occasionally, I see instances of what I consider a bit of over-reaching in the editing. Specifically, and currently, I am referring to the recent thread, "Can I use .22lr bullet in my airgun?" The OP asked a question that is directly air gun related, seeking comments that would not only provide general information, but could also enhance safety, as there are a few associated risks. The stated reason for locking the thread, "the disassembly of .22 LR rounds is not within the rules of discussion for AGN". I have a different opinion, and I believe the thread was well within the rules, being directly air gun related. In a previous career, I occasionally had the duty of reviewing and editing the work of my associates, as they did also. This was pre-computer, and the edits were done in a blue pencil. The blue pencil became a mighty sword, and was often used in a power mongering manner. It would be disappointing to see such shades show up here. 

The fact is, the risk of disassembling .22 ammo is much less than the danger of HPA, which we play with every day on the forums. I'm sometimes shocked at what I read about folks doing with HPA, but there's never moderator intervention. Are we allowed to be stupid, as long as it is strictly limited to an air rifle?

Not trying to be a problem, but I just believe that a little more reasonable thinking might be appropriate in deciding when big brother shuts down the dialog. 

Why discuss the same topic in a different thread after a moderator said the subject is not welcome here? I don't agree with some of the moderating here but I understand this is a privately owned forum being run as a business so my only choice is follow the rules or leave.

It's the same as being a guest in someone else's house. If the homeowner asks you not to talk about something you either stay off that subject or get shown the door.

It's not "big brother" as in government "shutting down the dialog", it's the man who owns this business.

Why discuss the same topic in a different thread after a moderator said the subject is not welcome here? I don't agree with some of the moderating here but I understand this is a privately owned forum being run as a business so my only choice is follow the rules or leave.

It's the same as being a guest in someone else's house. If the homeowner asks you not to talk about something you either stay off that subject or get shown the door.

It's not "big brother" as in government "shutting down the dialog", it's the man who owns this business.

Not discussing the same topic at all, but rather asking to revisit the rationale of locking down the original thread. I agree, it's a private party, and the host can ask me to leave at anytime, and if that's his request, I'm gone. I'm merely stating that, in this case, the decision to shut it down appeared to me, a little hasty. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, which my wife says is always likely. My best to all, I'll now move on to topics within the rules of discussion. 

This. This is a for profit, privately run site with an LLC (SOS file number 0802663831--this is public info) behind it. Their rules are the rules, we must abide. 

If there are those who want to continue the OP's discussion they can always send a PM. I respect the moderators here & feel they make decisions in their "business's" best interests and in safety's best interests too. On the public forum we SHOULD follow their lead but no one here is keeping us from having "private" conversations. 

Not discussing the same topic at all, but rather asking to revisit the rationale of locking down the original thread. I agree, it's a private party, and the host can ask me to leave at anytime, and if that's his request, I'm gone. I'm merely stating that, in this case, the decision to shut it down appeared to me, a little hasty. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, which my wife says is always likely. My best to all, I'll now move on to topics within the rules of discussion.

There may be reasons the administration doesn't reveal, like search engine results or contractual obligations with sponsors. I didn't mean to insinuate you'd be asked to leave, I was speaking generally of all members. It may be better to PM the forum owner on this subject.

That tread was locked for safety issues. The poor guy that have a mishap and his lawyer will say they saw it on Airgunnation.

If you look for something to fear, you can find it. In this case, I believe that even the most zealous plaintiff lawyer would be hard pressed to find liability.

I'm new here so pardon my ignorance on the customs here but I tend to agree with the looking for fear statement.

Plus, if the thread is really being closed for safety and/or litigation issues the whole thing is still visible and somebody can still say they saw whatever there is to see. I saw some good advice about how it's not worth the effort and a bunch of other judgy type stuff that happens at a lot of forums.

Personally I thought that thread went into the rabbit hole of pulled apart actual ammo.

I thought the OP was more along the lines of buying bulk .22 slugs for reloading, machining a powder burner barrel for air rifle.

ppl do with it .17 looks like an awesome build here

https://youtu.be/mTLB9iK3h9E

….why couldn’t it be done with .22?

makes a lot more sense shooting slugs with a build like that. Than cranking the living daylights out of the impact platform. 

Reactions: doubloon
Would you get a better response from a direct message to the Mod, rather than start a whisper campaign? I would think so, but I am simple that way. 

There may other reasons beyond your ken for the decisions made.

My purpose was not to criticize or question the moderator personally, as I'm sure he/she is doing the task as directed by the owner. Neither did I want to continue the original topic, and I wish folks would quit responding in that manner. My intent was merely to say, in some cases (IMO this one), a bit more flexibility might be appropriate, as I think the benefit outweighs the risk. Apparently, the majority of members believes the moderator intervention was warranted so, as I often say to my wife, I must have been wrong. A PM to the moderator would not have generated any feedback of the general opinion of the action, and, as I stated, this was not mean to be personal, but rather policy related. I believe it has suffered sufficiently, and should now be allowed the grace of a natural death. 

The analogy I use to understand Moderator interaction is related to driving a car.

Mod comment / user flag post = honked horn to get attention of the other drivers..

Mod edit = guard rails to keep the car on the road.

Mod lock = auto brake system to prevent a crash.

Mod removes thread = tows crashed car away to keep traffic flowing.

I would consider that the thread is still there and viewable as a nod to the information that has not been towed away to the junkyard.

Just my humble interpretation. Have a great day, amigo