Coltri MCH 6 Owners, get in here, this thread is for you!!

You could run from an electric clothes dryer outlet if you have one, and it’s convenient. Just a quick way to get up and running if you can’t install a new circuit yourself, or are waiting for your electrician.
That's what I do. My wife just LOVES it when I hijack the laundry room to fill my tanks. Lol. God bless an understanding and patient spouse.

If you go the dryer plug route, check your receptacle and get a compatible plug from the hardware store. It's easy. On the "Alkins owner" thread, there are multiple posts where guys chip in and show how to wire on a 220 plug.

You will need a 30 amp 2 pole breaker and a 30 amp outlet and plug using 10 gauge wire. The 230v Coltri motor is listed at 17 amps and code says you can't exceed 80% of the breakers capacity. 80% of A 20 amp breaker would be 16 amps. Make sure you have room in your breaker box for a 2 pole breaker. I just topped off my Great White from 3400 to 4500 in 5 minutes.

So I already have a 30amp 2 pole breaker in my Panel. It's been inactive for years (It was an electric water heater-I've converted to N Gas)

Coltri says I need a 35amp. I'm tempted to just use the 30 amp. Then all I need to do is buy a receptacle and a plug and wire them up.

Do I need the 35 amp? When I asked Craig , he told me it would only be for the high draw at start up.

Mine is on a 30 amp. I would like to hear what others say. Eaton compressor has a chart showing what size breaker is needed for compressor motor HP and they say 30 amp for a 3 HP. You can always replace the 30 with 35 if you want. The 10 gauge wire on the 30 is plenty for a 35. Do not start it under a load. I let mine come up to almost the tank pressure before I open the tank valve. This also give the desiccant time to absorb the moisture.

Plug I put on mine is this
Screenshot_20230210-200156.png

The Icon is still an MCH6. I think the main difference for the new MCH6 is a die cast monoblock (as opposed to sand cast?).

That would be a reasonable change, especially if they plan on making lots of them for a long time. More expensive tooling but faster production with more consistency. Thinner walls possible on the die casting, so lighter, but hopefully not too thin.

Edit: I watched the videos and it sounds like Coltri has updated a lot of their manufacturing processes. Older blocks were done in a permanent mold, with sand cores. Cylinders heads, rods, etc were said to be done the same. The parts for the newer models use die castings and forgings. And lots of other little updates.

Last edited:
i purchased one from Nuvair today (monday), thru Mitch (salesman) he is a great guy to deal with ,i got the 220 volt with a preasure switch option. the sale price $ 2,495.00, preasure switch $ 200 , shipping=$ 285.51 ( to illinois)=$2,980.51 & NO Sales tax. i wanted a Alkin , but not for the $$ they wanted ..i think i will be happy with the Coltri.. BTW , Mitch said they have been selling alot of them , but they have a few left..