• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Umarex Colt SAA BB

thank you all so much.. this is the first time I have ever tried starting a thread or conversation, whatever you call it and well you all have been the best..
my thoughts are possibly the Colt SAA nickle BB version but I'm also wondering about the custom shorter barrel, do any of you have a idea about the front sight and how it's attached, I just have it in my head that it was a clip on plastic one? seems like that would be a problem if you used a holster and what's the point in cowboy guns if you don't have a holster and gun belt with extra cartridges.. 🤣🤣
one of you mentioned the m29 cartridges are compatible with the Colt.. as I remember that's the long barrel?
so for those of you that have the sn357, or the Dan Wesson snub nose.. or if there is any other snub nose.. it there any that the Colt SAA cartridge is compatible with a snub nose?
to be honest I have had my eye on the Colt SAA nickle since I first saw it.. but I have pretty much stayed away from the CO2 cartridges since I have a compressor and PCP and hopefully soon I will actually convert my umarex notos into a large pistol instead of a huge pistol.. 22" long is just to much to shoot freehand..
that said I'm also wondering if anyone knows what parts from pyramid air are available to us the little air tank and hose along with the adapter so it is regulated to CO2 pressure and then you can shoot CO2 or air.. I saw once a conversion kit for i think it was the storm pistol but not interested in that, also I don't know how much a hose coming out of the bottom of the grip and the small tank on your belt would work, you definitely won't be able to fast draw..
thank you for all the information.. please keep it coming.. I got so discouraged about air pistols because I was looking for PCP and unless you have $1200 laying around the others are either huge or bolt action..
id probably be the first one to buy a gun if they made a Colt SAA PCP version, even if I had to refill the air after 6 shots.. and I tried desperately to find a dealer for the mustang lobo but it is not available in the USA..
I've shot a lot of different guns.. but my absolute favorite are cowboy guns.. I so much regret that I didn't get the entire collection of brocock tandem cartridge guns.. had the 522 but a tough year and raising my kids 25 years ago and I had to sell my entire collection of airguns just to make it through the year..
for those of you who are not familiar with the brocock tandem cartridges they were a pain in the neck, always leaking until I got the best industrial o ring and then I never had a leak or rebuild.. I had the 522 snub nose revolver right after it came out.. and I found out recently that they had the single six and Henry golden boy.. but things changed and they went out of business.. the current brocock company is actually a new one..
so it appears that the Colt SAA, legends lever action are basically the only cowboy guns available..
now if there's a snub nose that matches the cartridge that would be awesome
thanks again all
Mark

Good stuff, everyone!

1. BBs vs .177 pellets: I have one of those Crosman 357s, too. It came with 6 cartridges for BBs and 6 cartridges for .177 pellets. I expected the pellets to be more accurate, but they weren't. As they're a lot more expensive than BBs and have no advantage, I shoot BBs exclusively in it now.

View attachment 422029

2. Cartridges: For Christmas I got myself the Dan Wesson 4" gun and an extra box of cartridges (for BBs). These are identical to the Crosman SNR 357 cartridges and I'm looking forward to using them in both. In addition to the Colt SAA, I also have the Umarex Smith & Wesson M29. I ordered an extra box of the M29 BB cartridges and was delighted to discover that they fit the SAA perfectly. (I haven't shot the Dan Wesson yet but it is a VERY impressive piece and might end up being my favorite if it shoots halfway decently at all.)

3. Finishes: I think I know why the Colt SAA is available only in "nickel" plating. As I mentioned, I have the Umarex S&W M29. The finish on it is beautiful--really comparable to a real Smith 29--but I found out that it is VERY fragile and rubs off pretty easily. I theorize that the SAA is only available in nickel because they figger many/most users will want to use it from a "fast draw" holster of some sort, and they didn't want to have to deal with complaints about the "bluing" wearing off too easily. Pretty smart, actually.

I've been searching for a good CO2 DA revolver for decades, and have tried just about everything available. After I shoot the Dan Wesson, I plan to write an article on them all for BB Pelitier's blog. (I wrote the review of the Umarex Legends M3 Grease Gun for his blog, and that seemed to go over well.)
I didn't know you wrote that article.. I read it and it was great..
so simple question.. hopefully.. you mentioned two snub nose, I think it was a 4" Dan Wesson and the crossman sn 357..will either of them fit the Colt SAA cartridge?
thank you so much for all the information you have given me
as a side note if any of you want to PM me I'd like that too.. I have made more friends on here than pretty much anywhere in the last few years.. you all are wonderful with the sharing.. keep it coming 😊
Mark

you mentioned two snub nose, I think it was a 4" Dan Wesson and the crossman sn 357..will either of them fit the Colt SAA cartridge?

Mark
No, the Colt SAA/M29 cartridges are bigger.

Glad to be of help. I found little good information when I started down this road about three years ago. I had to find all this stuff out for myself, and I have a buttload of $$$ in the journey. But guess what, I haven't asked for any of my money back YET. ;)

Thanks for the kind words about my M3 piece. I was the first one to review it anywhere and I'm very proud of that.

Reactions: markhooper
No, the Colt SAA/M29 cartridges are bigger.

Glad to be of help. I found little good information when I started down this road about three years ago. I had to find all this stuff out for myself, and I have a buttload of $$$ in the journey. But guess what, I haven't asked for any of my money back YET. ;)

Thanks for the kind words about my M3 piece. I was the first one to review it anywhere and I'm very proud of that.
diameter or length bigger.. id not think twice about putting the cylinder of the Dan Wesson or SN 357 in the mill and boring it out to fit the Colt SAA cartridge if it is just diameter.. but it won't work if the length is different..
maybe you could measure the cartridges for me and see if the length is different..
thank you

diameter or length bigger.. id not think twice about putting the cylinder of the Dan Wesson or SN 357 in the mill and boring it out to fit the Colt SAA cartridge if it is just diameter.. but it won't work if the length is different..
maybe you could measure the cartridges for me and see if the length is different..
thank you
OA length is about the same but the SAA/M29 cartridges are fatter. One will start into a Dan Wesson chamber but only go about 1/3 in.

I can't imagine why you would want to do that.

OA length is about the same but the SAA/M29 cartridges are fatter. One will start into a Dan Wesson chamber but only go about 1/3 in.

I can't imagine why you would want to do that.
just so you can use the Colt SAA cartridge in the Dan Wesson.. just like my PCP guns are all 22 one kind makes some things simpler.. it could add up to a lot of money for spare cartridges if you had several guns that were not interchangeable.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas