Umarex Colt SAA BB

just wanted to know if it has enough power to knock down a empty tin food cans at 10 yards to more .. also will it have enough power to put a hole in it? thinking about the standard Colt SAA nickle BB version but also wondering about the shorter one that used to be available as the Ace.. now I don't see it anymore but you can get the nickel one in the short barrel custom build.. also anyone have the short barrel one? how is the front sight mounted? looks like it might be flimsy and clipped on?
if I were to get one it would have to be a BB one because I can't handle 177 pellets with carpal tunnel..
I just wanted to find out if it would work for plinking tin food cans and not have BB bouncing back at me..
thank you
Mark

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I have a couple of the Colt SA and a couple of the 1911’s (Colt Commander and Tangfolio - same gun) with blow back action. They both will shred a pop can to pieces. I put pop cans upside down on a 2 foot plant stake out to 20 yards. They are both fun to shoot. No bounce backs. Loading the bullets on the SA is much easier than the magazine on the 1911’s. The blow back action is really fun. My favorite for sure. But you may have trouble loading the magazines. I made a tool to hold the magazine open while loading it. I have arthritis in my hands and it’s still a challenge to load the magazine. I aged this Tangfolio Witness and use it in my fathers WWII memorabilia collection. It‘s a placeholder for the Colt that is in the safe. Everyone likes shooting it.
CA09E980-D69B-4A2A-B122-D36C263B7EFF.jpeg

I have a couple of the Colt SA and a couple of the 1911’s (Colt and Tangfolio - same gun) with blow back action. They both will shred a pop can to pieces. I put pop cans upside down on a 2 foot plant stake out to 20 yards. They are both fun to shoot. No bounce backs. Loading the bullets on the SA is much easier than the magazine on the 1911’s. The blow back action is really fun. My favorite for sure. But you may have trouble loading the magazines. I made a tool to hold the magazine open while loading it. I have arthritis in my hands and it’s still a challenge to load the magazine. I aged this Tangfolio Witness and use it in my fathers WWII memorabilia collection. It‘s a placeholder for the Colt that is in the safe. Everyone likes shooting it.View attachment 420894
well I don't have any pop cans and don't know where to get any free.. also they are aluminum and a lot thinner..
I do have empty food tin cans like beans come in but they are thicker than pop cans.. just wanted to set out a way and hopefully knock over at least..
yes there's no way I could load BB in a magazine.. figure the only way 177 caliber will work now is the cartridges like the single six, since you can dump some BB in a pellet tin and then hold the cartridge since it is similar to 38 or 357 and push it over a BB where the primer would normally go..
I have a hard enough time loading up 22 PCP magazine so I don't even want to try to load a spring loaded magazine.. last one I shot was probably 20 years ago a Walter ppk.. been so long I don't remember what it did on cans.. but it was fun to shoot with my girls.. and blowback and lock open when the magazine was empty.. yes it was fun.. but it was before carpal tunnel.. I can't even hardly use tweezers anymore.. and have to use a large pen to write much of anything..
well also I have really enjoyed cowboy guns.. Henry golden boy and Ruger bearcat.. but I don't shoot much powder anymore, I prefer less noise..
thank you for your reply
Mark

well I don't have any pop cans and don't know where to get any free.. also they are aluminum and a lot thinner..
I do have empty food tin cans like beans come in but they are thicker than pop cans.. just wanted to set out a way and hopefully knock over at least..
yes there's no way I could load BB in a magazine.. figure the only way 177 caliber will work now is the cartridges like the single six, since you can dump some BB in a pellet tin and then hold the cartridge since it is similar to 38 or 357 and push it over a BB where the primer would normally go..
I have a hard enough time loading up 22 PCP magazine so I don't even want to try to load a spring loaded magazine.. last one I shot was probably 20 years ago a Walter ppk.. been so long I don't remember what it did on cans.. but it was fun to shoot with my girls.. and blowback and lock open when the magazine was empty.. yes it was fun.. but it was before carpal tunnel.. I can't even hardly use tweezers anymore.. and have to use a large pen to write much of anything..
well also I have really enjoyed cowboy guns.. Henry golden boy and Ruger bearcat.. but I don't shoot much powder anymore, I prefer less noise..
thank you for your reply
Mark
I’m sure if you set a tin can up on a thin base (balance) there will be plenty of power to knock it over. Sitting flat on the ground, I’m not sure. The Cowboy part of the SA’s is the cool factor. Good luck.

I’m sure if you set a tin can up on a thin base (balance) there will be plenty of power to knock it over. Sitting flat on the ground, I’m not sure. The Cowboy part of the SA’s is the cool factor. Good luck.
thank you, I just was worried about the BB bouncing back at me.. I hadn't thought about it but you gave me a idea.. a board rail.. I used to have a Webley tempest and then a Beeman P1.. liked the size of the tempest so much I regretted trading it for the P1.. but the P1 was a lot more accurate.. I started with empty shotgun shells that I found and worked down to empty 22 brass.. and at 10 meters I got to where I could knock off the empty 22 brass and not hit the rail.. so I suppose if a 2x4 was too wide, I could use a 1x4 plus instead of shooting at the ground I could have it out level like I did with the P1 I think around 35 years ago.. it's funny how I got the P1 in 177 and a 22 barrel kit for it but I don't remember why but I never put the 22 kit in.. I had matching calibers for awhile.. the tempest and rws34 were 177 and then I traded the rws34 for a rws48 in 22 caliber.. the 48 was much more accurate in 22 than the 34 in 177 but I didn't notice the difference in accuracy until I scoped the 34.. I think it was because the scope was not rigid to the barrel.. and that was back when they were stamped rws Diana 34 or 48 and made in Germany.. now I hear it is just Diana and imported from China.. but I honestly haven't handled one in over 30 years.. I only have 3 PCP guns in 22 and a Gamo 22 varmint shotgun..
only one pistol and it's a umarex notos 22.. wanting to get more actual pistols but was not sure about CO2 pistols and BB..
thank you for your response and ideas 😊
I do remember shooting with my daughters when they were younger a Walter ppk and it was a lot of fun, my youngest daughter could empty a magazine into a pop can faster than I could reload the spare magazine.. but it was when we picked up trash along the road going to the park in front of the house.. now I'm a long way from a road 😀😊 but unfortunately I don't think I can get the spring retained, let alone put BB in a tiny hole in the magazine..
anyone else have this problem or a way to solve it.. because I agree blow back was fun..
Mark
Mark

thank you, I just was worried about the BB bouncing back at me.. I hadn't thought about it but you gave me a idea.. a board rail.. I used to have a Webley tempest and then a Beeman P1.. liked the size of the tempest so much I regretted trading it for the P1.. but the P1 was a lot more accurate.. I started with empty shotgun shells that I found and worked down to empty 22 brass.. and at 10 meters I got to where I could knock off the empty 22 brass and not hit the rail.. so I suppose if a 2x4 was too wide, I could use a 1x4 plus instead of shooting at the ground I could have it out level like I did with the P1 I think around 35 years ago.. it's funny how I got the P1 in 177 and a 22 barrel kit for it but I don't remember why but I never put the 22 kit in.. I had matching calibers for awhile.. the tempest and rws34 were 177 and then I traded the rws34 for a rws48 in 22 caliber.. the 48 was much more accurate in 22 than the 34 in 177 but I didn't notice the difference in accuracy until I scoped the 34.. I think it was because the scope was not rigid to the barrel.. and that was back when they were stamped rws Diana 34 or 48 and made in Germany.. now I hear it is just Diana and imported from China.. but I honestly haven't handled one in over 30 years.. I only have 3 PCP guns in 22 and a Gamo 22 varmint shotgun..
only one pistol and it's a umarex notos 22.. wanting to get more actual pistols but was not sure about CO2 pistols and BB..
thank you for your response and ideas 😊
I do remember shooting with my daughters when they were younger a Walter ppk and it was a lot of fun, my youngest daughter could empty a magazine into a pop can faster than I could reload the spare magazine.. but it was when we picked up trash along the road going to the park in front of the house.. now I'm a long way from a road 😀😊 but unfortunately I don't think I can get the spring retained, let alone put BB in a tiny hole in the magazine..
anyone else have this problem or a way to solve it.. because I agree blow back was fun..
Mark
Mark
Good luck Mark. Be careful the board under the cans will not cause a bb return. I would cut a 45% degree angle away from myself. If a bb strikes the board, it will glance downward and away.

Reactions: markhooper
Good luck Mark. Be careful the board under the cans will not cause a bb return. I would cut a 45% degree angle away from myself. If a bb strikes the board, it will glance downward and away.
would you go with a 2x4 rail or a 1x4 rail? I can easily rip the angle like you suggested.. and I would be using standard empty food cans like beans and corn come in.. aluminum cans would be better but get shredded and I don't drink anything in aluminum cans and I am a long ways away from the main road and here people don't throw their trash along the road, so nothing to pick up.. plus those who recycle their aluminum cans, they have to be not smashed here for recycling, I don't understand why since after they pay you they go through a crusher.. and yet if they are dented or like it used to be stepped on flat, they don't accept them..
thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate it

Mark

would you go with a 2x4 rail or a 1x4 rail? I can easily rip the angle like you suggested.. and I would be using standard empty food cans like beans and corn come in.. aluminum cans would be better but get shredded and I don't drink anything in aluminum cans and I am a long ways away from the main road and here people don't throw their trash along the road, so nothing to pick up.. plus those who recycle their aluminum cans, they have to be not smashed here for recycling, I don't understand why since after they pay you they go through a crusher.. and yet if they are dented or like it used to be stepped on flat, they don't accept them..
thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate it

Mark
1x4. Keep the wood harder to get to.

Reactions: markhooper
Another good trick is to roll up some plastic shopping bags and staple them to the board.
so I'm assuming that it doesn't shoot hard enough to stick in the wood.. I just might have to make a triangle rail.. so if I hit it it would glance down similar to a pellet trap 🤔 without the trap.. so on the top flat area would it not get off balance enough with the flat top 1.5 inches wide to sit the cans on? or if I understand what you mean correctly the top maybe only 3/4" wide so they tip over easier?
I'm going to have to find some empty 12 gauge shells if I do this.. I used to be able to shoot empty 22 brass off the fence rail at 10 meters, so I'd like to think a can would be easy and the 12 gauge shells hopefully slightly challenging.. of course I don't expect it to shoot like a Beeman P1 made in Germany..
just trying to think it through.. I used to shoot single six 22 at 50 yards and easily hit the bottom of a tin can.. so am I expecting too much accuracy for 10 meters?
would be nice to shoot cowboy guns more, I don't enjoy the noise of powder burner and rarely get them out.. but air is a lot more peaceful 😊

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
When I lived up north in snow weather, I would shoot all winter long in my finished basement. I loved shooting the C02 bb pistols. I would simply fill a good size cardboard box with plastic grocery bags and tape a target on the box. The bags not only lasted forever, they saved the bb’s and I could reuse them. There are many ways to enjoy your bb pistols safely. Good luck.

1. NEVER assume that BBs won't bounce back at you. ALWAYS wear eye protection when shooting BB guns of ANY kind at ANYTHING. And make sure everyone with you has them too. Walmart sells excellent full-coverage goggles for about $5. Your eyes are PRICELESS.

2. The CO2 Colt SAA has enough accuracy to hit cans at 10 yards. I have no idea if it has the power. You might want to think about some other kind of targets. I like shooting at cheap small paper plates but use your imagination and you can come up with SOMETHING that's hella fun to shoot and costs next to nothing.

3. Here's how mine shoots at 7 yards. I get over 90 shots per CO2 cartridge. It is AMAZING fun!

1704314036620.jpeg

I shoot a Crosman 357 revolver with the 3" barrel. Using BB's I get a little over 400 fps, the same velocity specs as the Colt SAA BB. It shreds soda cans at ten yards. I also shoot the heavier cans, cat food and people food cans. BB's at 400 fps will definitely knock them over hard at that distance, dent them deeply, and sometimes penetrate one side or the base. I do get some BB's coming back in my direction from time to time. Glasses with good side shields are a must.

Shot at some cans on a sawhorse made of untreated pine, and my misses would embed in the soft pine, but not much more than level. Been thinking of getting a C02 SAA replica myself. Own a Cimmaron SAA 7.5" in .45 LC, but I hardly shoot it these days due to ammo/reloading component cost.

1. NEVER assume that BBs won't bounce back at you. ALWAYS wear eye protection when shooting BB guns of ANY kind at ANYTHING. And make sure everyone with you has them too. Walmart sells excellent full-coverage goggles for about $5. Your eyes are PRICELESS.

2. The CO2 Colt SAA has enough accuracy to hit cans at 10 yards. I have no idea if it has the power. You might want to think about some other kind of targets. I like shooting at cheap small paper plates but use your imagination and you can come up with SOMETHING that's hella fun to shoot and costs next to nothing.

3. Here's how mine shoots at 7 yards. I get over 90 shots per CO2 cartridge. It is AMAZING fun!

View attachment 421785
what a pretty six gun.. I like the nickel one as I prefer stainless..I measured and it is the same size as my 357 single six.. so I could take out the 357 cartridges out of the gun belt and then it would drop in the custom holster I made.. my 357 is blue, but I have a lot smaller stainless steel bearcat.. it's a joy to handle.. but loud.. 22 CB shorts with just primer make it similar to a airgun.. years ago they used to sell flobart cartridge and it was literally a pellet or lead bb with just primer.. was tempted to get a convert a pell years ago after reading a article by BB Pelliter.. but he didn't think to much of them.. always love reading his air gun testing.. glad he is still around..
Mark

Reactions: Snake45
I shoot a Crosman 357 revolver with the 3" barrel. Using BB's I get a little over 400 fps, the same velocity specs as the Colt SAA BB. It shreds soda cans at ten yards. I also shoot the heavier cans, cat food and people food cans. BB's at 400 fps will definitely knock them over hard at that distance, dent them deeply, and sometimes penetrate one side or the base. I do get some BB's coming back in my direction from time to time. Glasses with good side shields are a must.

Shot at some cans on a sawhorse made of untreated pine, and my misses would embed in the soft pine, but not much more than level. Been thinking of getting a C02 SAA replica myself. Own a Cimmaron SAA 7.5" in .45 LC, but I hardly shoot it these days due to ammo/reloading component cost.
I wish that the replica cartridge guns would have the same cartridge so like if you got a Colt SAA nickle BB.. and then say you got a legends lever action, those use the same shells.. but like your crossman I think I read that they are a different size.. and different size yet on the Dan Wesson.. then there's the one I think 1895 replica of the black powder conversion one.. it's got the tapered part under the barrel to mimic the loading lever.. and then the Schofield replica.. probably a year ago I read a article from someone who has them all and he listed ones that would work with the other one cartridge.. I like how the Colt SAA the BB goes where the primer would sit.. so the cartridge actually makes your effective barrel longer..
seems like the crossman and Schofield have a rubber bullet tip so the BB goes in that end.. and I am not sure on Dan Wesson.. I have seen some that look like the same rubber bullet tip for the BB and I think I also saw some brass tip ones that you unscrew each one and put a pellet inside..
if I did get into this it definitely the nickel Colt SAA.. but I used to shoot running targets so another I think fun option would be to get a little DC motor from surplus that is 15-30 RPM and put a pulley on it and another one a way away and put a cord on it so it's like a motorized close line like my grandma had.. then hang cans from short strings like a ski chair lift from short cords out at least 10 meters of not 30 and turn it on and plink away.. figure it would get the cans swinging each hit.. if I do this I'll try to post pictures and part numbers because I think it can be done under $30 for everything.. don't know how many of you ever shot a running ground squirrels.. I might need a bit of practice with a pistol but they better watch out for a lever action rifle..
Mark

Reactions: Northwoods22
have any of you shot the dust devils?

safety glasses are not a issue for me.. have several, and backups for metal work grinding.. here is the thing.. I have a covered deck with a spinner at 30 and 50 yards so I don't bother sitting up targets.. and I can shoot in the rain.. not that I would use the spinner because my 22 PCP only wiggles it, I made them for 22 ,38, 9mm and 357.. one has a hole where if you are a good shot you can shoot straight through.. yes my daughter tried the 30-30.. clean through.. but I am trying to think this through so I can get it ready for March when I will be pretty much out of commission trying to heal from surgery and I likely won't feel like going out to put up targets and then retrieve them.. and yes I am also considering a rolling close line off the deck with a pants hanger so maybe get back into punching paper targets..
however whatever I do I would have windows behind me on the deck.. and I don't want to have to replace glass..
it's convenient off the deck, close to the house and heat, not to far to go, and I already have chronic fatigue so I want to keep it interesting and not a chore 🤔 like shooting my PCP in the same spot.. I only have 2 rifles and a pistol PCP and well can't carry them all and unless I am just wanting to shoot a certain one.. how do you choose.. those of you, I know have big collection, that must be a chore to shoot 🤔 probably too tired to shoot after packing out half a dozen guns..
Mark

There is a cartridge for bb’s and one for pellets. I have shot pellets out of the bb one. I think the Legends lever action rifle uses the same cartridge as the Colt SA. My friend has the lever. Very accurate and fun. My Colt’s. I don’t think they make the blued one anymore. Just in some type of commemorative model.
E782654D-A0BD-4C01-99A4-C246C15BEB22.jpeg

Last edited:
Good stuff, everyone!

1. BBs vs .177 pellets: I have one of those Crosman 357s, too. It came with 6 cartridges for BBs and 6 cartridges for .177 pellets. I expected the pellets to be more accurate, but they weren't. As they're a lot more expensive than BBs and have no advantage, I shoot BBs exclusively in it now.

1704372889193.jpeg

2. Cartridges: For Christmas I got myself the Dan Wesson 4" gun and an extra box of cartridges (for BBs). These are identical to the Crosman SNR 357 cartridges and I'm looking forward to using them in both. In addition to the Colt SAA, I also have the Umarex Smith & Wesson M29. I ordered an extra box of the M29 BB cartridges and was delighted to discover that they fit the SAA perfectly. (I haven't shot the Dan Wesson yet but it is a VERY impressive piece and might end up being my favorite if it shoots halfway decently at all.)

3. Finishes: I think I know why the Colt SAA is available only in "nickel" plating. As I mentioned, I have the Umarex S&W M29. The finish on it is beautiful--really comparable to a real Smith 29--but I found out that it is VERY fragile and rubs off pretty easily. I theorize that the SAA is only available in nickel because they figger many/most users will want to use it from a "fast draw" holster of some sort, and they didn't want to have to deal with complaints about the "bluing" wearing off too easily. Pretty smart, actually.

I've been searching for a good CO2 DA revolver for decades, and have tried just about everything available. After I shoot the Dan Wesson, I plan to write an article on them all for BB Pelitier's blog. (I wrote the review of the Umarex Legends M3 Grease Gun for his blog, and that seemed to go over well.)