Colorado squirrel Bubonic Plague

Yo

Mar 26, 2020
Hi
Disturbing news indeed. I wonder after they ARE SHOT DEAD and them fleas all jump off their ride and hop on over to all of the house pets then into the homes what if the infected fleas bites a baby or toddler? What about the house pets? 

I would be sure the house pets all have flea collars and take extra precautionary measures to make every effort to anti-flea the whole property by dispersing flea powder if not anything superior by the case loads everywhere around the yard and perimeter of the house YESTERDAY.

1595170069_13017820215f145d15d23e64.97503870.gif

1595170113_10681090185f145d413e1fd3.61391113.JPG

i saw a similar thread a couple days ago while lurking. Yes, plague is not as big a deal as in 1600s. Currently the highest transmission of the plague with humans are in the streets of Calcutta and in the streets of LA with the homeless and their encampments. If you look at SF I am sure there might be a case or two with the homeless there too, and that city ranks the highest in public pooping and poop on sidewalks etc. the plague thrives in filthy conditions, especially places like homeless encampments where food and stuff in in close proximity and invites rats that carry the plague. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2019/08/19/official-lies-bubonic-plague-and-californias-homeless-challenge/amp/

https://m.theepochtimes.com/bubonic-plague-may-join-homelessness-rats-on-list-of-crises-in-los-angeles_3035204.html

California is gross.

The desert between Boise and Mountain Home Air Force base is full of ground squirrels, and they have been known to carry the plague for years. Pets have occasionally been infected, and soldiers from the National Guard who train out there are warned to keep away from them. The mice also carry hantavirus. All the more reason to thin the ground squirrels out as much as possible. 

Hantavirus is a nasty one, I did my graduate thesis modeling the spread of the virus based off human activity in a closed room. Deer mice are the major carriers of it so that is why people say if you see a mouse nest to spray it with bleach and let it sit for a while. And as @idaho_varminter said, keeping the squirrel population down decreases the likelihood of spread.