• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cold Weather Shooting

The weather here in Michigan has turned towards winter again. The cold can really put a shooter down and keep them indoors. My friend has a solution and it is called an ice fishing shanty. Chuck has had the shanty in his garage for ten years gathering dust. His son goes fishing all year and fills his freezer with walleye so no more ice fishing. We repurposed the shanty into a shooting shanty. We filled the fishing holes up with plywood and cut some big shooting holes in the front of the shanty. The shanty is a standard sized sheet of plywood so plenty of room for each shooter.

We use an indoor rated heater to keep the cold at bay and it gets pretty toasty. The shanty keeps the temps in the 60's even with two big holes cut into it. When the weather gets colder we put a big horse blanket on top for insulation. We typically shoot for four or five hours with some breaks thrown in. When we are done shooting we take it back down, takes about five minutes to put up or take down.

I hope this gives other shooters an idea on how to keep shooting in the winter time. I suggest looking on Craig's List for an old ice fishing shanty. They are easily repurposed and keeps the elements at bay.

IMG_1920.jpeg

IMG_1921.jpeg

IMG_1922.jpeg

IMG_1923.jpeg

IMG_1924.jpeg

IMG_1925.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg

Not bad.

I was thinking, while shooting last time ( maybe that's why i dident hit squat ) one of those disposable white tyvek coveralls, then add to the back a sleeve from another one, and in the end of that sleeve a small electric heater, maybe a hairdryer or something like that.

This also tempting. https://www.kickstarter.com/project...h-projectcollection-1-staff-picks-ending-soon

But i cant get myself to spend that much.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Ha! Very ingenious solution to very cold weather! I hope to be able to get a chance @ walleye someday,
I used to go fishing. Eight hours to catch a couple of fish. Now I go eating. Go to the bar and get walleye fillets and cold beer. Never been snookered at the bar. 😀

The weather here in Michigan has turned towards winter again. The cold can really put a shooter down and keep them indoors. My friend has a solution and it is called an ice fishing shanty. Chuck has had the shanty in his garage for ten years gathering dust. His son goes fishing all year and fills his freezer with walleye so no more ice fishing. We repurposed the shanty into a shooting shanty. We filled the fishing holes up with plywood and cut some big shooting holes in the front of the shanty. The shanty is a standard sized sheet of plywood so plenty of room for each shooter.

We use an indoor rated heater to keep the cold at bay and it gets pretty toasty. The shanty keeps the temps in the 60's even with two big holes cut into it. When the weather gets colder we put a big horse blanket on top for insulation. We typically shoot for four or five hours with some breaks thrown in. When we are done shooting we take it back down, takes about five minutes to put up or take down.

I hope this gives other shooters an idea on how to keep shooting in the winter time. I suggest looking on Craig's List for an old ice fishing shanty. They are easily repurposed and keeps the elements at bay.

View attachment 408039
View attachment 408037
View attachment 408035
View attachment 408036
View attachment 408038
View attachment 408040
View attachment 408041
i cannot stress enough how much my wife hates blue tarp or camo material ! great idea though . i am making one out of Styrofoam 4x8 boards .

This was our solution. We built an 8x10 shack to shoot from! Entirely from scrap wood! I made a small, but powerful woodstove for it, from scrap metal! It stays really nice inside even with the flap open. We tried a rocket stove first, but it took constant feeding and did not burn sticks very well.
There is a never-ending supply of wood and sticks to burn! It's a great place to shoot from but it does rain inside a bit! We need to work on the roof. It's just plywood sheets. I spend a lot of time in here!

IMG_5899.JPG

IMG_5902.JPG

I am wondering why people have such big openings to shoot out off, i would just have a 3 - 4 Inch wide slit for the rifle to poke thru.
Of course here in Denmark we pay record high prices for a KWh, so electric are sort of a no go for this scenario.

It is funny though a good decade ago when i was skin and bone i did not like the cold, now that i am 2 X that weight and pack a substantial layer of fat i still freeze my behind off.
And worst of all as a skinny i would barely break a sweat in summer, now it just pour off me like my friend that have always been big.

I am wondering why people have such big openings to shoot out off, i would just have a 3 - 4 Inch wide slit for the rifle to poke thru.
Of course here in Denmark we pay record high prices for a KWh, so electric are sort of a no go for this scenario.

It is funny though a good decade ago when i was skin and bone i did not like the cold, now that i am 2 X that weight and pack a substantial layer of fat i still freeze my behind off.
And worst of all as a skinny i would barely break a sweat in summer, now it just pour off me like my friend that have always been big.
The shooting windows are cut that large so that we can use the deck rail as a rest. The window rests on the deck rail when shooting. Keeps the shooting bags dry. Can also reseal the windows with gorilla tape. Here is an example with the HW70. Notice the black plastic on the rail.

Gorilla tape is awesome. Works when wet, cold or frozen. Warm it up with friction and it starts stickin'.

IMG_1927.jpeg

The shooting windows are cut that large so that we can use the deck rail as a rest. The window rests on the deck rail when shooting. Keeps the shooting bags dry. Can also reseal the windows with gorilla tape. Here is an example with the HW70. Notice the black plastic on the rail.

Gorilla tape is awesome. Works when wet, cold or frozen. Warm it up with friction and it starts stickin'.

View attachment 408337
Ya know, I could make use of one of these if it collapses and sets up easy, I would make my shooting porthole on one of the other sides so I could use my stable table on the inside. Thinking now.

Ya know, I could make use of one of these if it collapses and sets up easy, I would make my shooting porthole on one of the other sides so I could use my stable table on the inside. Thinking now.
The shanty is a little on the heavy side, say a bulky 100 pounds. Super easy to setup, the only tricky part is getting the main support pole in place. We fold it up and cover it with a tarp when not in use.

The Craig's list for my area has 11 shanties for sale;

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_