• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

COLD weather and Air Guns

Well folks it was 3 degrees below zero here on the east side of South Dakota this morning! I'm not a BIT concerned because with the wind it only FEELS LIKE 7 degrees below zero - LOL!

I watched a review on YouTube last night by our old buddy Kenny testing another cheep break barrel. Kenny ALWAYS has a reason why his groups are not as good as they should be (wind, had a bad day, dog was barking...), in any case, in this video he said the rifle was shooting dime sized groups and he had to go inside for a 1/2 hour and left the gun outside. He said the rifle got cold and when he came back it was grouping like a shotgun.

Question; how cold would you guys say it has to be to affect the accuracy of a air rifle?

Geezer
About at the 11:00 minute mark

I'm in East Tx so it never gets much below freezing here . But for me I mainly noticed it on guns ( springers ) that were grossly overlubed . Velocity kinda jumped around a little ....Not a huge amount , but it was there . 
Can't say about Kenny's shooting as all I've seen him shoot was like 10 yards. Plus he FOR SURE don't like my one eyed ass !!!! Lol 
I honestly noticed it more on a regulated PCP rifle I had at one time ...No idea what the culprit was 

I know Joe, I was raised not far from where you hail from. I married a YANKEE and this is my punishment--LOL

Yeah, I saw his "Bash Joe" video. I get a kick out of ole Kenny but I just wanted to see if anyone on the forum knew anything about how the ("Cold as a well digger .....) would affect shooting springers. I know the gun companies brag about the cold not affecting the "gas piston" guns, however, my TRUST of what those guys claim is not that high (I place most of them between a Politician and a used car salesman) LOL

Thank for the reply Joe,

Geezer

Below zero? Break out the cocoa and Legos (or K'nex in our case). We're having an inside day.
I went deer hunting one morning without checking the weather report. I was in my stand for 45 minutes when I finally said - I don't care if I see a world record buck on the way down the ladder - we're gonna do the Buggs Bunny "Hi Sam, Hi Ralf" thing, cause it's quittin time. I got back home and found out it was 8F that morning (and I'm in piedmont NC - so that was unusually cold.) 

From what I read it is "unusually cold" over a lot of the nation right now N8.

When I was young I did some of that Deer Hunting (and even fishing) in cold weather. At the time I thought it was the price you pay. Not anymore - LOL

Going to be VERY COLD here for the next several days even for South Dakota. We always have a nice "breeze" to go with our cold weather!

Old Geezer

Geezer, I’m not sure what you mean by “polished”, but I’ll take science and fact over whatever “polished” is supposed to mean. In my opinion, and that’s all I truly mean, in my opinion, the video was made by a pretty intelligent and well educated individual who was stating nothing but facts.

I apologize if I sound condescending, but I guess I’m taking your “polished” statement as being judgmental by some standards I’m not sure I understand and may not care too!

If by some chance I have misinterpreted your implication, please accept my apologies!

Hello, everyone! I would be the unpolished individual who made that video above. LOL

Indeed, I both concede to and welcome the label "unpolished." I cannot deny what I am, and I am indeed not the most polished person. LOL

I am overwhelmed by the kind words spoken about me. Especially behind my back. It's not always a bad thing to be discussed when not present. In this case, I am HONORED!

My Youtube channel, ALL THINGS AIRGUN, and the corresponding Facebook group by the same name are intended to be as purely honest as possible.

I am quite unsponsored, and make my videos entirely to provide unbiased information. Most of what I do is things that I used to do off camera. Testing pellets, testing claims about this or that, and just having fun. I absolutely LOVE airguns. I just noticed the outrageous number of sponsored reviews and incorrect information being spread in the airgun community by vendors and manufacturers, and decided that I would share the results of my personal experimentation and experience.

Yes, I will give credit and praise where it is due...such as my review of the Beeman P-17. I stand by my assertion that the P-17 HAS to be one of the best uses of $30 in the airgun world. That is my honest opinion, not my paid for opinion. I want to keep my opinions to a minimum on the channel, but when I'm impressed by something (which isn't easy to do) I will surely tell you so.

I am a Physics and Astronomy undergrad right now, and hopefully I'll be able to work out actually getting my PhD in Astrophysics eventually. That is why I approach things in such an experimental nature. I'm just a scientist at heart. I can't believe nearly anything until I test it. LOL

Again, it's OVERWHELMINGLY awesome to be spoken of highly behind my back. While I do not seek praise, this is evidence that I am achieveing my goal of providing information to the airgun community that can be trusted. Nothing pleases me more.

I hope to get to know all of you soon, as this is my first post here on AGN. Speaking of that, is there an "Introduction" thread anywhere? I didn't see one at a quick glance.

Regardless, you can expect to see me here as often as is possible. It's great to meet you all! :)

Reactions: Muchacho
G’day Donnie I very much enjoyed your video on cold weather and gas rams. Physics is physics and what you have stated makes perfect sense to my old brain, but your experiment to me was at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Where I live my rifles stay in the safe in my shed and are all subjected to the same atmospheric conditions, springers and gas rams. So through winter spring summer and fall they are all used and their scopes are slightly adjusted when poi may change. This is done without thinking that it caused by the temperature so when winter comes around all rifles springers and gas rams are on target as they are all througout the year.

I dont have a chrony at the moment ( fell off the bench) but when I get another I’ll test each rifle at the beginning of each month to record the drop or rise in fps and then compare with the data you found. It should be the same but it may vary due to the extremity you put your rifle through. What do you think? Again thank you for an honest and informative video.

Gary

Geezer,Thank you sir for accepting my apology! I truly hate any kind of Drama, and even more so if I should be involved in it! I do not mean this as an excuse, but I’m a huge fan of Donnie’s YouTube channel “All Things Airguns” and I clearly overreacted.
Ironically, I completely agree with everything you’ve stated about honesty, and the fact that most other reviews are nothing more than infomercials.
Joes Airgun Classics and Donnie’s All Things Airguns are my two favorite YouTube channels for exactly the reasons you’ve stated.

I will now go and stand in front of a mirror and hurl appropriate insults at myself for having jumped to a conclusion based on an assumption!
All I had to do was simply ask “Can you explain what not polished means?” If I had just taken a breath, and done that, I would have agreed with you completely!

So in addition I also thank you for helping another old guy (67) learn a valuable lesson about social conduct on the internet!

LOL I do the insults in the mirror thing every day. It keeps me grounded. LOLOLOL

Windmill, I would LOVE to see the results of your experimentation! And I agree, my 68.5 degree change in temperature WAS pretty drastic, but still representative of what a hunter in my neck of the woods would commonly experience. What I REALLY need to test is the POI shift caused by the whole affair. I think I'll do that in a separate video.

Joe Rhea....SUBSCRIBED!!! Great channel man! :)