Cocking trouble with my new Benjamin Akela

Hello. I'm new here. Anyway...

I have a Benjamin Akela. Everything was working until the forward motion of the bolt got stiff. Eventually, I had to put an uncomfortable amount of force to fully lock the bolt in place. My first thought was that there was a problem with the breech o-ring, so I carefully removed the barrel and took a look. The o-ring was secured in place. With the barrel still removed, I watched some videos, and it looks like I can easily access the cocking mechanism by removing a few screws. However, I'm not sure I want to dig in there. What's the best course of action? It's still in warranty, although I'd rather avoid the wait when sending it in.

Thanks.

There is a detent pin and spring in the breech above where the bolt probe comes out. That's the bolt tensioner. It has a set screw that can be accessed from the magazine well. You'll see it if you look in the mag well towards the rear of the breech.

Parts 0013 0014 0015 is what talking about. Adjust that set screw 0015 out a bit should relieve tension.
Screenshot_20221127-072423_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsocial
I would file the head and maybe the tip of the flat screw down some to reduce its height before the bolt closes when cocking the rifle. Then use locktite when you replace it. Like you, I’ll do almost anything to avoid sending it back as you never know what new problem to expect.
As mentioned below the detent spring/screw may need to be adjusted. Mine was set so far outside that I couldn’t insert the mag.