Diana Cocking rod adjustment? | Diana 48

I have a new to me T05 .22 Diana 48. I got it in a trade with a friend that had it sitting around with a broken cocking rod (first side lever I have ever shot).

My question is on your guy's Diana 48 do your have that much of resistance when closing the lever after cocking (@ 7:48)?

I have my rod adjusted and buy turning it out 1/2 a 🔄revolution my lever will pop like in the video, but I do see the rod bend/warp.

Yes, it should take a little pressure and have that nice little snap. Too loose will allow hot gas to escape and melt your breech seal. Struggling right now getting one right after rebuild. Link below.

Reactions: Northwoods22
Shot my D48 this morning and watched the link rod when closing the lever. It definitely bows outward slightly before the final snap shut. There's also a tiny amount of final forward breech movement during the snap which is the final breech sealing that Cjtamu mentioned. My rifle is unaltered new production with only around 2000 rounds through it, so it's a really good example of how factory settings should be.

Shot my D48 this morning and watched the link rod when closing the lever. It definitely bows outward slightly before the final snap shut. There's also a tiny amount of final forward breech movement during the snap which is the final breech sealing that Cjtamu mentioned. My rifle is unaltered new production with only around 2000 rounds through it, so it's a really good example of how factory settings should be.
Yep. Comparing my 52 to my 56 it looks like there might be a 2nd little kink in the rod for the 52. Might be the issue. Going to take another pass at it, if I can’t get the pins through will get a new rod. Should probably keep a spare anyway.

Edit: Northwoods I’m sure you know, but that slight pressure and snap is the rod pushing the compression tube forward and making sure the breech seal is tight.

Last edited:
I have a new to me T05 .22 Diana 48. I got it in a trade with a friend that had it sitting around with a broken cocking rod (first side lever I have ever shot).

My question is on your guy's Diana 48 do your have that much of resistance when closing the lever after cocking (@ 7:48)?

I have my rod adjusted and buy turning it out 1/2 a 🔄revolution my lever will pop like in the video, but I do see the rod bend/warp.
Racer, I'm trying to PM you but I can't see how to do it

Racer, I'm trying to PM you but I can't see how to do it
conver.png

Click his avatar then the pop up pops up then click start conversation and the pm text box thing pops up .

Yep. Comparing my 52 to my 56 it looks like there might be a 2nd little kink in the rod for the 52. Might be the issue. Going to take another pass at it, if I can’t get the pins through will get a new rod. Should probably keep a spare anyway.

Edit: Northwoods I’m sure you know, but that slight pressure and snap is the rod pushing the compression tube forward and making sure the breech seal is tight.

I didn't know that until you mentioned it. All my years of gunsmithing were only with firearms. Although I've owned and shot airguns since I was a kid, the technical and mechanical aspects of them are still a very new thing for me. I learn something new here every day. (y)

I didn't know that until you mentioned it. All my years of gunsmithing were only with firearms. Although I've owned and shot airguns since I was a kid, the technical and mechanical aspects of them are still a very new thing for me. I learn something new here every day. (y)
I have a short write up somewhere Hector did. Had a name for it. Basically if it’s not sealed properly the hot gasses melt the seal. Saw it firsthand when I bought the 56. I’ll find the write up.

Reactions: Northwoods22