• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cock or Not

I only have a springer at the moment, but I never leave it cocked. Once I see something I am going to shoot I cock it and proceed to stalk close enough. If the shot don’t happen in a matter of five min. or less, I shoot that pellet at something and carry on. I am interested in what others say, and how they do it with a pcp. My plan will remain the same when I do decide on which pcp to get. 

I have my gun cock and ready to shoot anything I see. Having it cocked, pcp or break barrel. It wont hurt it. Unless you leave it cock like overnight or long periods of time. I wouldnt leave it cock overnight. But having it cock during a hunt wont hurt it.

That's what I was thinking, I don't leave them cocked other than hunting.

The biggest problem is there is little to no oversight or quality standards 

It's like the Gauntlet ... The safety is almost impossible to engage when the gun is cocked. This would never be acceptable with a firearm 

Please guys always treat your gun as a lethal weapon that it is 

I have my gun cock and ready to shoot anything I see. Having it cocked, pcp or break barrel. It wont hurt it. Unless you leave it cock like overnight or long periods of time. I wouldnt leave it cock overnight. But having it cock during a hunt wont hurt it.

That's what I was thinking, I don't leave them cocked other than hunting.

The biggest problem is there is little to no oversight or quality standards 

It's like the Gauntlet ... The safety is almost impossible to engage when the gun is cocked. This would never be acceptable with a firearm 

Please guys always treat your gun as a lethal weapon that it is

Willie, trust me I have been around firearms my whole like. I'm not saying don't use a safety. My Leshiy, Vulcan and Impact all have them and I use them. As a hunter ( weather it be power burner or air gun ) you are 100% correct they are lethal..😉

Never meant to imply you folks aren't, I kind of made myself a black sheep on the forum because of a rant over some big bores not even coming equipped with a safety. A while back

Still I always practice safe trigger and muzzle control even when hunting alone..

If I am on a direct stalk with the gun cocked I walk with my palm covering the trigger guard insurance to make sure a branch or brush doesn't hit the trigger.

My Texan can be uncocked but loaded. 

When you are walking around with an Airgun with the same amount of power that a 45 pistol you treat it with much more respect 

The most important rule is to do the safe thing every time no matter what.

Every time I get in a vehicle I click the seat belt even if I am only moving a few feet I grab the seat belt.

Every time I end my stalk I uncock, every time I decide to move from one location to another I uncock, every time I get to my truck I unload and uncock doesn't matter if I am only going to my truck to warm up or grab something I forgot, I do the exact same thing every single time no exceptions.

I do a lot of combo hunting spotnstalk and stand hunting including a 20ft tree stand by keeping these rules I insure that I don't forget

I would rather miss a trophy deer than risk my or someone's life. My own opinion I will NEVER buy or own a hunting gun that isn't equipped with a safety. 

Further, Snap shooting in hunting is the leading cause of 2nd person accidental shootings 

Some will say it's not the same thing because you are pesting and it's all small game, I disagree, you are training your mind and body, setting habits that can lead you to do the same with other rifles 

This precisely why I choose the Taipan Veteran. I can cock and when shot presents itself, take the shot without having to cock. When I decide to continue stalking, I can decock and recock when another shot opportunity comes as the Taipan Veteran has an anti-double load feature. Never any worries or wasted pellets, air ect.

Beach-gunner

Dennis

My big bore Badger has a stupid safety design. It’s right on the trigger gaurd. You have to turn it towards the trigger to put it on safe. Dumbazz setup. I have the rifle loaded but decocked until ready to shoot. BUT. The first thing you learn is to keep your gun pointed in a safe direction. Might miss a chance to shoot. But if it were that quick of a shot, it wasn’t good anyways. 

PB or AG I never walk with something in the chamber or in the breech until I see something and then I load and make my final approach with the safety on. That is what I also preach to my kids. If I can't take the shot, I'll unload the round back in the mag or just shoot the pellet after a short time. I think it comes down to the user, I just don't like surprises.

My2C

Papy_Yosh

I'm retired law enforcement. For three decades I moved around with firearms (multiple) locked, cocked, and ready to rock. No other way to do that. I'm not saying that is the way everyone should do it, but if gun safety is ingrained in your methodology, there won't be a problem. I pest in the back yard here, and never know when I will glance out the window and see something that needs leadifying. I have a springer and a PCP at the ready, and both are ready to slip the safety off and shoot. Granted, there are no children in my house, and when I have visitors, all guns go in the safe.

A secondary consideration is what is best for the gun. My springer is a nitrogen piston, and some have suggested that it should not be under load all the time. I disagree. Any vehicle with a hatchback has nitrogen pistons that help hold the hatch up. They are under load all the time. For years and years, and nothing bad happens. If your spring has an actual spring? Different story. It may retain memory if not properly designed. The springs in my handgun magazines are under load forever, but I'm not going to empty mags and reload them every time I come home then leave again. So far, the mags from my earliest semi's still retain their force, and I have never had a misfire because of them. As for the health of the PCP, I have not read anything that has made me think it needs to be uncocked when not in use.

Each of us must make our own decisions based on our gear, knowledge, and experience. Great topic for discussion, and I'm certainly open to hearing different viewpoints.

I'm retired law enforcement. For three decades I moved around with firearms (multiple) locked, cocked, and ready to rock. No other way to do that. I'm not saying that is the way everyone should do it, but if gun safety is ingrained in your methodology, there won't be a problem. I pest in the back yard here, and never know when I will glance out the window and see something that needs leadifying. I have a springer and a PCP at the ready, and both are ready to slip the safety off and shoot. Granted, there are no children in my house, and when I have visitors, all guns go in the safe.

A secondary consideration is what is best for the gun. My springer is a nitrogen piston, and some have suggested that it should not be under load all the time. I disagree. Any vehicle with a hatchback has nitrogen pistons that help hold the hatch up. They are under load all the time. For years and years, and nothing bad happens. If your spring has an actual spring? Different story. It may retain memory if not properly designed. The springs in my handgun magazines are under load forever, but I'm not going to empty mags and reload them every time I come home then leave again. So far, the mags from my earliest semi's still retain their force, and I have never had a misfire because of them. As for the health of the PCP, I have not read anything that has made me think it needs to be uncocked when not in use.

Each of us must make our own decisions based on our gear, knowledge, and experience. Great topic for discussion, and I'm certainly open to hearing different viewpoints.

GiveEmLead

That's more along the line of what I was thinking, I never unload my Magazines for my pistols ( unless at the range..LOL ) so my thoughts are in line with yours. 

Thanks

I never myself walk around with something in the chamber or breech firearms or airguns. Before going out in the woods or walking around I will usually load and fire the first pellet so all I have to do is lever in the next pellet when game is sighted. I particularly don't like to be around others with a round or pellet loaded, one mistake and bad things can happen. If I do load a pellet and the game moves off I will leave the pellet in the breech but be continuously reminding myself not to double load and see if a second chance presents itself. Once I get up to move around I will fire the pellet. I guess I would rather error on the side of safety and loose a few pellets. Bill

I never myself walk around with something in the chamber or breech firearms or airguns. Before going out in the woods or walking around I will usually load and fire the first pellet so all I have to do is lever in the next pellet when game is sighted. I particularly don't like to be around others with a round or pellet loaded, one mistake and bad things can happen. If I do load a pellet and the game moves off I will leave the pellet in the breech but be continuously reminding myself not to double load and see if a second chance presents itself. Once I get up to move around I will fire the pellet. I guess I would rather error on the side of safety and loose a few pellets. Bill

You're right Bill. I'm not comfortable with that either, unless my partners are former or actual cops. Then I know they have been highly trained in the use of arms and I don't worry so much. It's like driving. I'm not comfortable with others driving me unless they're cops. Then I know they have been highly trained and experienced.

I got the Lelya for hunting small game, in part due to the well designed safety and the anti-magazine cycling lever (which allows for leaving one in the pipe and de-cocking it to prevent double loading when I re-cock it). 

I have spent several full 8-hour days with it at my practice range in the mountains, getting a feel for both of these mechanisms and target shooting at steel gongs as I stalk around with it on a sling. My confidence is high enough where I would not hesitate to leave it cocked with the safety on. I would also do the same with my R5, but I wouldn't do so with any of my other PCP rifles.