• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

CO2 Questions for the Cognoscenti

I have recently purchased a QB78D in .177. I am going to mod it in future, but for now I am just enjoying it as it seems to be accurate with a variety of pellets. One of the things that I would like to know is whether or not there would be any real benefit to either tethering or bulk filling the gun rather than using 2 12gr powerlets. I know that I could have gone the QB79 Route, but I could not get past the aesthetics of the bottle hanging under the barrel of the rifle. Your thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eutsler and others have pointed out that liquified CO2 provides a constant pressure no matter the volume of liquid in a given space - at least as long as there is sufficient liquid CO2. So, 2 12-gram powerlets provide the same pressure (=power) as a bulk tank or a tethered tank of CO2. The only difference in the systems is the number of shots you get based on the varying volume of liquid CO2; the performance of the pellets is the same in all three systems until the liquid volume drops below a critical point for CO2. All that said, the decision on how to set up your gun really depends on how you want to use it. Powerlets = portability, as does the bulk bottle (aesthetics not withstanding). Tethering really only works for static shooting (bench rest).

Reactions: scrane