CO2 Pistol Suggestions?

I walk my dog at night, we are experiencing a coyote population explosion.

Fairly populated area, don't want to use a PB. Just want to be able to fire a number of pellets quickly in the dark if the need arises.
I'm thinking a red dot ready CO2 would do the trick.

I usually am wearing a headlamp, so a gun mounted light wouldn't necessarily be needed.

I have the red dot. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
Not a repeater but a trusty pistol nonetheless, the Crosman 2240. On sale now for less than $60 on Ebay:

Its a loud gun too, so even just dry firing it might be enough to scare off unwanted critters.

Many to choose from...
Have you looked at the internet shops, see what they have to offer ??

YOU...should do the picking, since you...will be the one using the gun.
Go to Pyramyd, Utah Airguns, Airguns of Arizona, (others)... Pick out a few that YOU think that, you might like, then go into YouTube, and watch a coupla videos about each gun, then make a fairly-informed decision.

Most co2 repeaters will be firearms look-alikes.

Mike

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
Hello look at Umarex use and their paintball/ self defense air pistols using hard rubber or pepper balls( they run a little over $100). Being that it is a self defense item it my serve you better if you have to use it in both effectiveness and legal issues. Just think of the news report some "bad person " shot at a poor coyote with a bb gun, OR some person defended his dog and self from a coyote with a pepper launcher. Hope this helps Eric

Not a repeater but a trusty pistol nonetheless, the Crosman 2240. On sale now for less than $60 on Ebay:

Its a loud gun too, so even just dry firing it might be enough to scare off unwanted critters.
Mine works great. The only downside would be a single shot proposition, and trying to drop a pellet in there, in the heat of the moment, would not be easy. Just like Bad News Beeman said, it is a trusty arm with low cost.

For Coyotes and things like that, I think a .177 or .22 CO2 pistol is underpowered. Maybe you will injure it without really deterring it. I don't think they're well suited for any kind of self defense.

I would consider something like this. The Umarex "less than lethal" .68 caliber revolver, but in this case its modded to have a lot more power. You can use different ammo, but even with normal rubber balls this will send a strong message to an animal to back off. And its a 6 shot revolver so if you miss the first shot, double action semi-auto for 5 more shots. These will crack coconuts and go straight through a pumpkin.

I believe this model is rated for about 30 joules (just under 20 fpe), which is almost a 3X power increase from stock. There's a couple other guys doing similar modded "less than lethal launchers" for sale as well.

Reactions: Clear Fork
If you just want noise try a .22 starter pistol. Nobody uses them any more for races so it should be cheap. If you lived close I have one I would give you. Uses the .22 blank rounds that a Hilti fastener uses. Dog trainers still use them for training dogs to firearm sounds.

The AEA Defender 2.0 will also make a bang that rivals a PB pistol. Of course if you hit the coyote with it, its a dead coyote. Also a bit of a different system that takes some getting used to with the cartridges, nor do they hold air forever and need to be topped off periodically.

I kind of like the idea of hitting them with big caliber rubber balls with some velocity behind them. Tail between the legs! But the starter pistol or a blank shooter could be even more practical for the specific use case.

Hello look at Umarex use and their paintball/ self defense air pistols using hard rubber or pepper balls( they run a little over $100). Being that it is a self defense item it my serve you better if you have to use it in both effectiveness and legal issues. Just think of the news report some "bad person " shot at a poor coyote with a bb gun, OR some person defended his dog and self from a coyote with a pepper launcher. Hope this helps Eric
...or take a can of bear pepper spray too. I have a couple of these, and they certainly "bring the rain", in a non-lethal way.

Been eyeballing this one🤪🤙

Screenshot_20230301_195342_Chrome.jpg

Be sure of the legal ramifications in your locality. If you're looking for something less lethal and more legal, go with pepper spray and a heavy stick. Chances are, you won't be crossing any lines if you need to use either. A pellet gun of any sort is likely going to be less effective and more of a legal burden.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1