• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

CO2 Pistol Suggestions?

I live in Texas, and honestly I would just carry a small lightweight 9mm or 38special revolver and be perfectly legal. Where I walk I have not seen any large dogs loose, but just last week an 80 year old man in the Houston area was killed by a couple of dogs while trying to protect his wife. I generally walk a 3 mile loop around near our home, and never carry, but probably should, as there are coyotes, foxes, coons, and skunks in the area. My concern would be more along the line of coming across a rabid animal, and possibly a wild hog, although that would be a rare instance during daylight hours.

I live in Texas, and honestly I would just carry a small lightweight 9mm or 38special revolver and be perfectly legal. Where I walk I have not seen any large dogs loose, but just last week an 80 year old man in the Houston area was killed by a couple of dogs while trying to protect his wife. I generally walk a 3 mile loop around near our home, and never carry, but probably should, as there are coyotes, foxes, coons, and skunks in the area. My concern would be more along the line of coming across a rabid animal, and possibly a wild hog, although that would be a rare instance during daylight hours.
Yeah, not concerned for myself, just would want to help my dog if he got into a skirmish.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Hello look at Umarex use and their paintball/ self defense air pistols using hard rubber or pepper balls( they run a little over $100). Being that it is a self defense item it my serve you better if you have to use it in both effectiveness and legal issues. Just think of the news report some "bad person " shot at a poor coyote with a bb gun, OR some person defended his dog and self from a coyote with a pepper launcher. Hope this helps Eric
I agree, Umarex does a terrific job with LTL. I own a souped up 50 cal and a Walther PPQ they are terrific fun. Plus I can shoot in my side yard that's been set up as a range complete with polycarbonate backstop and a acoustic material to deaden sound. My PCPs are too powerful to shoot on this range.

Daisy Powerline 415. It's a co2 powered semiauto BB pistol that is inexpensive, simple and reliable. Daisy has been selling this basic mechanism for many years with varying plastic outer shells to resemble different pistols. I have 3 of them that all look different but work the same. No blowback, no detachable magazine. Just a built-in 15 round mag. Shoots BBs at 500 fps. Incredibly they are still made in Japan, not China.

What about a Steel Storm? It may not be an actual pistol but it's pretty compact and being a full auto 5 shot bursts it will definitly scare off a coyote. We have the same coyote problem here in the edge of the city. They are coming right into peoples back yards and taking their small dogs. We have a Boston Terrier and Toy Poodle and I keep a loaded Hatsan Blitz 30cal. right next to the back door.

I agree, Umarex does a terrific job with LTL. I own a souped up 50 cal and a Walther PPQ they are terrific fun. Plus I can shoot in my side yard that's been set up as a range complete with polycarbonate backstop and a acoustic material to deaden sound. My PCPs are too powerful to shoot on this range.
Let me add that Umarex's customer service is as bad as the product is good, don't expect much of the CS. Airgun Miami agrees with me.

Reactions: elwoodblues
Eh, a few days won't hurt them.
But not long term storage.
Don't do that.
I just keep a bunch on hand.
It's better than bad seals.

View attachment 378998
Yeah, I was figuring the OP walks his dog everyday. So does he maybe leave a full one in there two or three days, then discharge it to remove and then the next evening in goes another fresh one ? Isn’t that about the same as long term storage under pressure ?
I have three CO2 pistols that I take out maybe twice a year or maybe a bit more in basement in winter but I always remove cylinder regardless how much gas might be in it as I won’t have it out again for some while. Not trying to be argumentitive just wondering, especially for the OP since he would really be relying on the gun to fire when needed. None of my pistols have any method of showing a level of charge.
Nice CO2 bunker by the way. 👍👍

Reactions: DOOMRIDER
I walk my dog at night, we are experiencing a coyote population explosion.

Fairly populated area, don't want to use a PB. Just want to be able to fire a number of pellets quickly in the dark if the need arises.
I'm thinking a red dot ready CO2 would do the trick.

I usually am wearing a headlamp, so a gun mounted light wouldn't necessarily be needed.

I have the red dot. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob
i had a umarex beretta px4 and it was pretty sweet. the fact that it could take either pellets or BB's was also cool. unfortunately, it gave out on one of the internal components. my brother's did too. not sure if we were just abusing or bad pistol parts. i would say it was not worth the buy