• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daisy CMP Referb Daisy 853

I received my referb 853 a little while back. I replaced the stock sights with the Daisy Match versions and added an adjustable iris. On the front, I swapped in the 753 barrel weight and globe.

I currently only have about 7m worth of practice space and here’s after a few rounds offhand just using RES Hobby Wadcutters. It’s certainly not Olympic level but not bad for a $150 rifle. I’m sure a better shooter would have them all in the center. This was 10 shots.

I need to fab up an extension for the buttstock. Even with the three extension, it feels a tad short to me. I also need to clean up the trigger - this one didn’t come with the trigger job and it’s pulling about 4 1/2lbs

IMG_2470.jpeg

Very nice. This is a great indoor 10m gun. I had the same issue of the short stock. Needed up making custom extension out of a block of cherry I had in the shop. Turned out ok and functional, but doesn’t look as nice as I wanted.
Also did the trigger job. Not too bad, but as mentioned these are a pain to reassemble. You really need three hands to do it.
Enjoy your rifle. They are so fun to shoot, and RWS Hobby work great in mine.

Reactions: mjb206
Very nice. This is a great indoor 10m gun. I had the same issue of the short stock. Needed up making custom extension out of a block of cherry I had in the shop. Turned out ok and functional, but doesn’t look as nice as I wanted.
Also did the trigger job. Not too bad, but as mentioned these are a pain to reassemble. You really need three hands to do it.
Enjoy your rifle. They are so fun to shoot, and RWS Hobby work great in mine.
Is the reassembly anything like the 777 10m pistol series? If so, I've done that a time or two....

Yes, and no. Being a rifle things are just more spread out. The hardest part is getting those plastic rails on each side of the barrel to stay lined up when putting the trigger group into the stock. It just usually takes me a few tries to get it right, but I seldom have it apart, so forget how to hold it between maintenance.

I saw some of those for sale a few weeks ago when I was there doing a poor job shooting. Can’t beat the price, I’ll probably get one next time.

Rick H.
They are one heck of a deal at the referb price. I’ll probably end up refinishing mine at some point. It came with the numbers “753” written on the stock. Aside from a tad bit of rust on the pump arm bolt, it’s in really good condition.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
the 853 i have was one of those i wish i hadn't bid and then hoping someone would bail me out and no one did
got the rifle and did nothing with it, too much going on
so, when i did get it out it shot with no power but i had a air on my hand
well, that wasn't right and looked and there was a hole that was open the barrel area and in reality, there is a small plug that goes in there, now a grub screw has taken it's place, the plug is not a part, at least i never at the time found one
and years later i picked up an Avanti 853cm target pro for a song and i don't think the 853cm was that popular but ROTC's used it as training rifle in collages from what i gathered

I have a 753S, and after doing a trigger job, it's a great shooter. Mine needs a bit more weight up front as well. Probably fire up the lathe and turn a steel weight then face the back of the existing weight off square so they blend together. Great guns for the money.
I should probably face mine off on the large as well. I just wanted to see if the additional weight would help. It seems to, but I really need to do the trigger job. Might try that today.

Reactions: Frogy
Completed the trigger mod today. The only tricky bits are getting the safety ball bearing in when swapping trigger housings (I ordered the newer style that’s pre drilled) and then getting the sear spring tucked in when putting the housing back together. I realized when I took it apart, who ever did the reverb neglected to put the screw/spacer back in behind the trigger guard. So it’s only been held in the stock by the front screw.

Thankfully, I had ordered the extra screw kit, as it comes with those. Wondering if anyone knows the size? I had originally wanted to use that screw for my sear adjustment - it’s not machine threaded, and appears to be a #6 sheet metal pitch and size (which is what I ended up using for the sear adjustment)

853 from the CMP is the best deal in the airgun world at the moment. If youre on the fence, pick one up! I shoot in the basement and garage nearly every day with mine.
I’ve been shooting mine every day as well. I’m pretty decent at 10m but still struggling a little bit to keep it in the 9/10. I need to finish carving the buttstock extension I made for it. It’s a completely different shooter now that I did the trigger mod.

Reactions: Florida_Man