Clueless on Pellets

I have an HW-100 (22 cal) It arrived a few days ago along with a variety of pellets. Crosman hollow points and destroyer both 14.3gr. Also H&N terminator 16.36 gr. 
The H&N seem to be I little more consistent. 
The problem is with the massive selection of pellets available I need a more scientific approach to narrowing down the choices to fit the rifle and shooting objective. 
example.. Strictly used for plinking and target shooting. Probably in the 100’ range. 
The rifle manufacturer recommends Diablo but which ones should I be looking at? What weight? Etc…. 
Thanks

I don’t own a Weihrauch PCP but have read that they like JSB and H&N, like most PCP’s on the planet. I’m sure others that own the gun will chime in and be more specific about pellets but this might help get you started. It’s always a good idea to try two or three brands, JSB, H&N and Crosman for example. In each of the brands, try a light weight pellet, medium weight pellet and a heavier pellet. Something like the JSB 13.43gr. 15.89gr, and 18.13gr. This will give you a really good idea of which brand and weight range your gun likes. From there, after you get more comfortable with your gun and changing the settings, you can make necessary adjustments that dial in those particular pellets that showed the most promise. Make sense? Don’t worry about buying the pellets to test out, they’ll all get shot up eventually…That’s the fun part!

Good luck and have fun!

Stoti

Thanks
can you tell me the purpose of the heavier over the lighter pellets?
I was thinking heavier was a hunting/ stopping power thing but that’s purely speculation.

i'm going to guess that lighter pellets are going to work better in lower power setups

in general, a heavier pellet will tend to have higher BCs (all other factors being equal) and be more accurate out to longer distances.

https://hardairmagazine.com/ham-columns/the-external-ballistics-of-diabolo-pellets/

https://www.airgundepot.com/vault/articles/all-about-ballistic-coefficient/

and yes, you would want maximum energy transfer within an accuracy requirement, so heavier bullets are going to be preferred.

I’d do this a little differently. I’d stick with one brand of pellet and try several weights. I’ll bet you if you can get them JSB will do all you need. Then shoot groups at 20 to 40 yards (your pick) and find the pellet that CONSISTENTLY shoots the best. Preferably thru the same hole or at least touching Then move out to 100. If you can shoot around an inch at 100 you have found your pellet. I think it can get confusing if you have too many different pellets to choose from. Heavier pellets typically shoot better at longer distances or the have for me. Some times not the healthiest available but next to it maybe. Good luck. Any wind will dramatically affect your group size so shoot under the calmest conditions you can find. Early morning and late in the evening often best. Watch your sight picture, trigger release and follow thru. Shoot front the most stable rest you can fabricate ( or buy). 

Too much forum time! Here's the deal: grab a pellet (preferably the one you can buy cheaply and locally), try it out. If it does everything you need - you've got a solution! If it's erratic or whatever, try another one. Unless you're competing, and past the early stages where you can't shoot as well as any gun or pellet, you just need to find a pellet that does what you want it to do. Don't get too hung up on group sizes, etc - if it hits your pigeon every time, it's*perfect*. Too much online reading will have you constantly searching for the smart-pellet that will net you 1/2" at 100 yards. (I need to be there to believe that...). Point is, don't let internet expectations drive your choices - if it works for your needs, it's good enough - perhaps even "perfect".

GsT

14.3 is standard weight i would say and cheapest, big factor to me ... but yeah try a few groups with lighter and heavier to see if theres an improvement ... weight affects trajectory curve and impact height, so imo the goal is settle on one and stick with it or youll never be able to learn your gun enough to be effective on anything but paper ... roundnose domes almost always are the most accurate pellet type, and in pelletguns its not about anything else .. hollowpoints and mushrooms are newb candy ...

I’d do this a little differently. I’d stick with one brand of pellet and try several weights. I’ll bet you if you can get them JSB will do all you need. Then shoot groups at 20 to 40 yards (your pick) and find the pellet that CONSISTENTLY shoots the best. Preferably thru the same hole or at least touching Then move out to 100. If you can shoot around an inch at 100 you have found your pellet. I think it can get confusing if you have too many different pellets to choose from. Heavier pellets typically shoot better at longer distances or the have for me. Some times not the healthiest available but next to it maybe. Good luck. Any wind will dramatically affect your group size so shoot under the calmest conditions you can find. Early morning and late in the evening often best. Watch your sight picture, trigger release and follow thru. Shoot front the most stable rest you can fabricate ( or buy).

some brands even have a variety pack, with several of their most popular pellets. the price per pellet isn't good, but maybe still cheaper than buying hundreds of pellets that don't work that well in your rifle.

JohnWicck

My neighbor sold me a $275 Benjamin Trail NP XL in .22, for $25, after he'd had it less than a year. Reason? He hated it, hard to cock, terrible trigger and inaccurate. Gave me 8 tins of various .22 pellets, he'd tried, without success. (I couldn't get any of them to shoot well, either.) Finally, by some stroke of beginner's luck, I found the rifle liked H&N Sniper Magnums. I've since bought a sampler pack from H&N, which provides a small amount of 5 different types of pellets, to see if it might prefer others.. TheLBC wisely offered this "sampler" advice while, like Marley5, the tins gotten from my neighbor are now gathering dust at my house.

WM

I have had an HW 100 in 22 for several years now. It is amazingly accurate and reliable. It shoots the most consistently and accurately in the following order: JSB 18.1, Air Arms 16, JSB 15.89. It will shoot the Crosman 14.3 OK but does not produce the tightest and most consistent groups. Keep in mind the HW 100 is Not a super powerful airgun and not designed to shoot out to 100 yards, but it surely can with the proper holdover. It is crazy accurate out to 50 yards, but starts to fall off after that. HW does not seem to get the same love as the big marketing companies such as FX and Daystate but at shorter distances can easily compete with them at shorter distances. As you will learn their triggers are awesome, they are quiet and did I say accurate. I also have a daystate RW HP in 22, the only reason I got the RW was that it could reach out to further distances because it is more powerful. If the HW 100 had the umph, It would have been my one and done. One of the drawbacks with the HW 100, is if someone is a fiddler and modifier the HW 100 is not really designed for that. Just shoot it, calculate your holdovers or dial ins and off you go. Back to the pellets, the cheapy, pointy ones don't work real well. Stay with the JSB and AirArms and you will often wonder if you even shot another pellet because it went in the same hole. Happy and straight shooting to you.

Wow!! Thanks for taking the time for the in-depth post. 
Glad to hear that your so pleased with the HW. Along with the accuracy and ease of shooting the beauty of the wood and meticulously designed mechanical aspects makes for a future family air loom.
Considering the size of my property, under 50yrd’s will be the norm, and I’m a tinkerer but I can’t see anything I’d want to change.
Thanks for the heads up on the pellets, I’ll give it a shot. (See what I did there?)

You are most welcome! It is an awesome airgun!! As you will discover. Once it is fully broken in and settled, it is just pull it out, load it up and shoot. Also, just a head's up, as you become more familiar with it, you will notice that the elevation of POI will change a bit as the pressure in the tank changes. So make note of the changes for yourself, there is nothing wrong with the rifle, you will recognize that change is remarkably consistent. I have the laminate thumbhole with the 16.1 inch barrel and 175cc cylinder. I get around 70 good shots from each fill. I typically shoot it down to midway in the yellow before it completely falls off.