• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Closed-cell foam to wrap gun with to quiet the pipe-ringing sound?

I like this topic. Getting back to the original question of Closed Cell foam wrap. I was thinking vinyl tubing of the thicker variety. Like taming the vibration from the handle of a hammer strike on a nail. Also changing the resonance "bell" with tension on maybe the plenum or similar cylindrical item. Using whatever, electrical tape wrapped, maybe plastic hose clamp, or sturdy nylon zip ties. Just experiment with ideas to see where it leads. The image that I am trying to confer is a wind chime and trying to reduce the "chime" either in tone (volume) or pitch (frequency). Also it was mentioned the "hammer of the airgun" by using tungeston for a different material from original. That would be also an idea to explore and maybe, I am not familiar with the actual internal schematics but maybe a " buffer" can be employed, that is dissimilar in material that 'checks' the relation between spring and hammer. This may sound like a bit of a ramble, and I apologize in advance. If anyone understands this train of thought, I thank you in advance for your consideration. Hopefull that more ideas are forth coming from the forum.

My buddy informed me about a week ago that for a while there were 3 horses on the same lot. The spooky horse would still get spooked when he took a shot, but the other two horses did not get spooked. This is a confirmation of sorts of what Oldspook sugguested -- that the one horse may have been shot at by someone with a pellet or bb gun in the past (it wasn't me or my buddy). And also the same horse spooks when we shoot an air ventury avenger 25 cal -- not nearly as much hammer smack as our maverick sniper 30 cal is putting out. The horse doesn't spook at the sound of a sub-sonic 30 cal slug flying through the air or at the sound of the slug punching through a cardboard target and hitting a mound of dirt. It doesn't spook if we stick the barrel out of the window of his cabin most of the way and shoot, but it does spook when we hold almost the entire rifle out the window. It's definitely that hammer smack sound that the horse is freaking out about. It doesn't matter if we are visible to the horse or not -- it's not afraid of US. And the donnyfl ronin is doing it's job because the horse doesn't spook when the front end of the rifle is hanging out the cabin window or sticking out in front of the parked truck in the driveway or out over a dirt mound. So that rules out muzzle pop as the problem.

The really amazing thing is that this behavior even happens when the horse is on the other side of the lot -- over 200 yards away from us.
All it takes for us people to not hear much of anything is the ambient sound of a slight breeze blowing through the pine trees.

The bottom line for me is that I'm not going to back off the power setting on my rifle just for the horse (sorry horsey -- whatever your name is).
But it still makes me wonder if any potential game critters have gone in hiding after my first shot.
One of these days I will probably try some thin sticky-back foam and some camo-printed duct tape. I'm not going to wrap everything with it, but just stick bits here and there as is convenient.

grungy

Reactions: Blankshot17
Hi folks. My FX Maverick 30 cal sniper is very quiet as far as muzzle pop is concerned thanks to a DonnyFL Ronin. However, I've got the power cranked up pretty good and the whole gun sounds like someone smacking a steel pipe with a hard rubber mallet. The sound does not bother me, but a neighbor's horse that is more than 100 yards away gets spooked every time. I gotta shut this thing up some how. Have any of you had this problem and solved it by, perhaps, covering as much of the gun as possible with closed-cell foam?
grungy
@grungy, that is the reason I prefer my Impacts over my now gone Maverick/Wildcat platforms. Quiet shot cycle and harmonics.

Patrick

My buddy informed me about a week ago that for a while there were 3 horses on the same lot. The spooky horse would still get spooked when he took a shot, but the other two horses did not get spooked. This is a confirmation of sorts of what Oldspook sugguested -- that the one horse may have been shot at by someone with a pellet or bb gun in the past (it wasn't me or my buddy). And also the same horse spooks when we shoot an air ventury avenger 25 cal -- not nearly as much hammer smack as our maverick sniper 30 cal is putting out. The horse doesn't spook at the sound of a sub-sonic 30 cal slug flying through the air or at the sound of the slug punching through a cardboard target and hitting a mound of dirt. It doesn't spook if we stick the barrel out of the window of his cabin most of the way and shoot, but it does spook when we hold almost the entire rifle out the window. It's definitely that hammer smack sound that the horse is freaking out about. It doesn't matter if we are visible to the horse or not -- it's not afraid of US. And the donnyfl ronin is doing it's job because the horse doesn't spook when the front end of the rifle is hanging out the cabin window or sticking out in front of the parked truck in the driveway or out over a dirt mound. So that rules out muzzle pop as the problem.

The really amazing thing is that this behavior even happens when the horse is on the other side of the lot -- over 200 yards away from us.
All it takes for us people to not hear much of anything is the ambient sound of a slight breeze blowing through the pine trees.

The bottom line for me is that I'm not going to back off the power setting on my rifle just for the horse (sorry horsey -- whatever your name is).
But it still makes me wonder if any potential game critters have gone in hiding after my first shot.
One of these days I will probably try some thin sticky-back foam and some camo-printed duct tape. I'm not going to wrap everything with it, but just stick bits here and there as is convenient.

grungy
Meanwhile, keep your eyes out for people mistreating the horse(s).

@grungy The high pitched pinging sound that you are experiencing is coming from the large penum chamber when the valve opens, all due to the gun getting tuned for high power. The simple fix is to place anything in the plenum chamber that will break up and stop the air's reverberating ping and not effect the plenum volume (by too much), or air flow. As a member said previously, don't use a bottle brush for a permanent solution as the bristles can and do break. I have used a piece of plastic corigated loom tubing in non-regulated airguns where the ping is way more pronounced. Hardware stores carry different diameters of wire loom tubing in the electrical section. (Google "Gardner Bender Black Polyethylene Flex Tube" ) This stuff also works great in the FX's hollow moderators.
What the dimension of the tube should be?