Close focus scopes

Matthias, can you list ones something cheaper that doesn't cost arms and legs and a liver
and shorter so I can fold my L2
;)

Attila, buddy, 😄

after a 3-digit amount of hours scouring scopes on the interwebs and my own Specs Tables — I have come to a conclusion about choosing a scope:

In fact, it's the same conclusion I have come to with guns.

Here it goes:

🟠 The more requirements you have for a scope or gun — the more prioritizing and compromising you will have to do.

🔘You (and I) have a long list of requirements that we want fulfilled before we hit the place-in-cart button.
🔘By contrast in Peru I deal with a lot of airgunner that just want to hit a pigeon or vizcacha anywhere between 10 and 40 yards. They don't mess with ballistics, have no parallax, don't know what an adjustable stock is, and just point and shoot (and cook and eat). ➔ For them it's easy choosing a scope! 😄

🟠 There's a part 2 to my conclusion on choosing a scope or gun:
You need to weigh & balance your different requirements against each other.
Because many
of them are diametrically opposed to each other.

➧ Below is an example of a set of 3 requirements of mine — my Scope Performance Triangle #1:
High Magnification -vs.- Wide Field of View -vs.- Compactness (Light+Short).

Cheers, 😊

Matthias

SCOPE Triangle 1 – to Balance High Magnification + Wide Field of View + Compactness (Light+Sho...jpg

Try a close focus adapter. I have a Leupold 50 ft one and it works with my Athlon Chronus which only focuses down to 25 m without it. It is too small to fit the 56mm objective so I made a foam ring to hold it in place. I can focus down to 7m with it. Some competition centerfire rifle shooters use a .25 diopter lens so they can dry fire practice indoors. Google I.O.T.A (Indoor Optical Training Aid). Some shooters have a lens .25 x lens from a local optical shop.
Hey @Ed99 just to be sure, .25 diopter lens means +0.25 diopter lens, right? I checked the IOTA and DFAT but they are only available in USA, I am from Europe and I cannot find such thing here. I have Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30x56 which has side focus at min 23 meters. I want to be able to train on place with distance from 3 to 9 meters. I am not sure how to calculate the diopter of the lens so that i can DIY this kind of adapter. I will be happy if someone share the science behind this :)

Last edited: