Close focus scopes

I shoot Field Target and have been working on my weaknesses which is the same for probably 80% of us offhand and kneeling. Years back I had a 10 meter rifle I used to practice with and I had a compact 6 power Burris scope that would focus down to 6 yard. This setup was great for practicing in my garage and I am thinking about trying to duplicate that setup now. So for about the 100th time I am lamenting something I have sold and now wishing that I had hung on to it. Are there any current models that focus down this close.

I had an Immersive 5x30 (old model) that focused down to 12 feet once the diopter was adjusted. I do not recall if I also checked if it was parallax error free at that same distance.

Dedal Stalker is listed as four meter & that seems accurate for me. Technically a current model but hard to find.

Had a 3-12x32 Bugbuster briefly & I think it was listed at three yards. Did not care for that scope & do not recall checking to confirm.

Hawke Vantage & Airmax 2-7x32 models are both listed as focusing to seven yards as I recall. Close to your six yard preference.
[Correction] Five yards for Vantage. 7.5 yards for Airmax.

Lastly, I had a March 1-10x24 SFP Compact that focused to something like six feet on full power. Note this is not the more well known Shorty model.

Only other scope I've had with extremely close focus is my Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32. But it's not a current model.

If you don't mind a fixed parallax scope I believe any of the Leupold fixed parallax scopes could be easily adjusted to a fixed closer distance.

Last edited:
The UTG 3-9x40 AO focuses down to 5yds and has a much better eye relief than the BugBuster. Honestly everything about it is better IMO.
i got the little 9.5 inch bugbuster so it fits my FWG 600 and the loading gate clears it . Even comes with a focus wheel .

Reactions: Sqwirl57
i got the little 9.5 inch bugbuster so it fits my FWG 600 and the loading gate clears it . Even comes with a focus wheel .
Some people love it but I could never get myself to like it. I had to use a backwards cantilever mount to get the eye relief and my cheek weld close to right and the clarity was just not there for me. Its a personal preference obviously but I just find the x40AO to be much more usable for me personally.

FWB 600 (fat finger typing ) . to me UGT is a bottom line scope , but it fits some situations when the higher grade scopes do not physically fit .
Thats exactly what they are. I use them as a placeholder scope that goes from gun to gun until I decide a gun is worthy of something better. They were cheap and almost impossible to kill so win/win

Earlier this year a hords of squirreles started visiting my wallnut threes and that made me very much emotional, and nervouse. I could not adjust my target scopes below 10 meters and I was looking for a solution.
And I got an idea I read about a while back.
I had one noname scope laying around in my locker for yeas, I managed to unscrew the front bell and moved the focus distance down. Yes I lost the 30+ from focus but now I got it down to 3-4 meters. I tuned the FFP reticle to 10 and this scope now became my dedicated backyard tool, which I may be using it in my garage as well over the winter.

Reactions: Bullpupone
Try a close focus adapter. I have a Leupold 50 ft one and it works with my Athlon Chronus which only focuses down to 25 m without it. It is too small to fit the 56mm objective so I made a foam ring to hold it in place. I can focus down to 7m with it. Some competition centerfire rifle shooters use a .25 diopter lens so they can dry fire practice indoors. Google I.O.T.A (Indoor Optical Training Aid). Some shooters have a lens .25 x lens from a local optical shop.

20230821_190645.jpg

20230821_190617.jpg

20230821_190904.jpg

Last edited:
Try a close focus adapter. I have a Leupold 50 ft one and it works with my Athlon Chronus which only focuses down to 25 m without it. It is too small to fit the 56mm objective so I made a foam ring to hold it in place. I can focus down to 7m with it. Some competition centerfire rifle shooters use a .25 diopter lens so they can dry fire practice indoors. Google I.O.T.A (Indoor Optical Training Aid). Some shooters have a lens .25 x lens from a local optical shop.

View attachment 382611

View attachment 382612

View attachment 382613
Thanks I had one years back. Had a scope on Field Target rifle that only focus down to15 yards. The lens worked great, scope not so much. Great idea on the adapter.

You can also put an iris out in front to increase the depth of field. They also reduce parallax which I found interesting. It will make it more difficult to range using the parallax focus as the image will be in focus for a much wider range of the dial. They say a

March provides their screw on MD (Modifier Disk) with most models that has a fairly large hole in it, but the increased depth of field is significant, particularly on the 56mm models. They say it can help with mirage but I am not familiar with using one, but plan to figure them out.

An iris will reduce the light coming through, so not good in low light but they are cheap enough to make out of a slip on or flip up dust cap, an old or new $8 UV or 1A camera filter that fits your objective and some thin sheet metal for the iris, or you can paint both sides of a clear glass filter flat black and drill a hole in the middle with a diamond bit in a dremel or on your drill press. If you leave the glass in the filter and go with sheet metal, be sure to put the metal behind the glass for the best clarity. You can test it out beforehand using heavy duty aluminum foil or a piece of soda can aluminum taped over the objective with a pin hole in it. Try progressively larger holes until you find a size that is bright enough to see the target but gives you closer focus. You want material to be thin and the hole as clean as possible with no burs, particularly on the back side. If using aluminum foil or pop can metal, paint it flat black to reduce reflections.

If these came with standard camera filter threads on them, I would definitely get one for several of my scopes.

1692710307153.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 17dean and 491458