• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Clicking vs holdover

I set up my Crown .22 this way, using a Vortex FFP scope.

Make sure you get a scope that has matching turrets and reticule. (MOA or MIL)

I bought the Strelok Pro app on the iphone. Input the necessary information:

Scope Height

Pellet weight and speed

zero distance

Scope turret increments

the app should have your exact scope reticule.

Range stuff with a laser and find a way to measure wind speed. Put in the values into strelok pro and It will tell you exactly where to move those turrets. You could even make your tape on the turret from the info the app gives you. Saves a lot of time, instead of having to shoot at each and every distance.

It really works. I took out two starlings at 141 yards with my .22 Crown shooting JSB 18.13 gr.

And two doves at 133 yards.

This is how I did it. Others should chime in on their process.

Reactions: L.Leon
That sounds like a good way to go about it. I think I'd like to probably set it up though for only going off the tape I make for it as trying to count clicks ain't gonna be for me. But sounds like a good way setting it up on Strelok and then that way I can at least get close to where I need to be for testing if it's ranging correctly. 

In case anyone is curious the gun will be my EVOL Tac .22 whenever I get it and will be topping it with a SWFA 12X42 MOA-Quad scope sitting on Burris XTR Signature rings. My ultimate dream setup.

Dairyboy,

Review this post bu AGN member https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/doc-stanley-his-dial-of-death-accuracy-graphic/ all that you need is contained here. I did the same and went to www.scope-weeks.com and bought the necessary products, he has a cap for your desired scope (SWFA) elevation turret that you can make a tape for. I then used Strelock Pro, the spreadsheet icon on bottom of iPhone screen first row far right; used the data in the “vertical correction column” to input the yardage’s and corresponding elevation turret clicks into the scope-works program that comes free when you buy a turret cap from him. Cost me $55 plus shipping, but was very easy.

I have this set up for my Taipan Vet 22 short on SWFA 3-15 FFP scope.

1559407989_4388303505cf2ad750d3580.29503592_180AB729-E3AC-4506-89E0-15E6E43726B6.jpeg

Beach-gunner

Dennis

Reactions: Dairyboy
Dairyboy,

Review this post bu AGN member https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/doc-stanley-his-dial-of-death-accuracy-graphic/ all that you need is contained here. I did the same and went to www.scope-weeks.com and bought the necessary products, he has a cap for your desired scope (SWFA) elevation turret that you can make a tape for. I then used Strelock Pro, the spreadsheet icon on bottom of iPhone screen first row far right; used the data in the “vertical correction column” to input the yardage’s and corresponding elevation turret clicks into the scope-works program that comes free when you buy a turret cap from him. Cost me $55 plus shipping, but was very easy.

I have this set up for my Taipan Vet 22 short on SWFA 3-15 FFP scope.

1559407989_4388303505cf2ad750d3580.29503592_180AB729-E3AC-4506-89E0-15E6E43726B6.jpeg

Beach-gunner

Dennis

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks so much Dennis! Looks like you can still see the line under the turret where it needs to line up?

If you are going to get a SWFA SS scope may I suggest getting a zero stop, it makes it easy to get back to your sighted in range without having to count rotations of the turret, it is shims that you put under to elevation turret to stop it from going much more then a couple clicks past your sighted in range and it works like a dream for me, not sure if they make them for other scopes. hope this helps.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Zero-Stop-Shim-Sets-for-SWFA-Super-Sniper-Scopes/21002974928

I( don't mind using holdover, it's just that at least 1 in 10 shots I end up screwing up and using the wrong hash mark/mil-dot lol. I want to put my ranges right on my scope turret (similar to Matt Dubbers Impact setup) so I can just turn the turret to the distance I'm shooting. I've an SWFA so no worries about repeatable tracking! 😄

You should get your Evol soon Dillon? Can't wait to see your review on that bad boy!!!

I also use a Scope Werks turret. It is just so much less cluttered than trying to smoosh all of your yardages on a regular turret. Of course, to each his own, but these are very easy to use. I have this turret set up with a tape that has two revolutions out to 150 yards. I also have another interchangable tape with three revolutions out to about 200yds. After it's all set up, if you're in a hurry, you can still use hold overs too. There is a typo in part of the post above... it's Eric @ Scope Werks. Eric also has his own ballistic program for figuring out your clicks at each range. It's one of the easiest and most accurate out there to use. All you have to do is print a test tape. Shoot at 3-4 ranges from like 10-60 yards, enter the amount of clicks at each of those ranges and the program figures the clicks for all of the ranges within your guidelines. It is the only program I've ever used that is accurate at almost every yardage when you validate your clicks at those yardages. It's awesome and only $28. Have fun with your rig when you get it all set up. Those Evol guns look sweet and powerful too!

Stoti

1559428251_16382008115cf2fc9b07fd35.19132931_IMG-1626.JPG

HI I read post the swfa is good scope I own 6 of them , they are like 5 mils a turn so you have like 8 turns on some models , it is simple scope , to do zero stop go to any hardware store or autopats store get like a few drain plug washers that fit inside turret but go threw shaft , when you have it zeroed install 1 or 2 and tighten the 3 grub screws snugly but do not go crazy it is aluminum , so now you can dial and just turn it till it stops for your zero stop , Hope this helps .

P/S I have used the orig swfa which was mil-dot , then the moa quad and mil quad , I do like the Milquads best

By the way this won't be my first SWFA. I've had a few of the Mil-quad and loved them. But then found a scope with the dot center instead of crosshairs which I greatly preferred and sold them. I stumbled upon the MOA-quad the other day and kick myself not knowing they had the dot center so now I need to get one!

I have one of those MOA scopes with the centre dot, I hate to burst your bubble but the centre dot is sooo tiny it mites well not be there at all 

I do both; using Chairgun Pro I created a holdover chart for my flip up cap on my objective lense, as well as a dope chart for dialing in elevation and windage. I verified the dope chart at various ranges so I have confidence I’m going to be where I need. I keep the elevation on 0 so if I need to pull off a shot quick I just look at holdover, and if I have time I dial it in. After I’m done shooting with that view, I put the elevation back to 0 and I’m all set. 

My preference is dialing in the elevation though as it’s good practice for the powderburners, and just seems a little more precise. 

The reason I want to try dialing in my targets is because I've been doing holdover for years now. It's great and all but I don't like having to go on my phone to check what my holdover needs to be for the shots. Sure I can just remember what it is but having multiple guns and different setups it's hard to keep track. I want one that I can just have my range finder then dial in the distance on my turret and done. Most my shots have time I can take if not oh well there's more to shoot at on the farm. It's also for people who want to try it out and then I don't have to try to tell them to holdover at yada yada and it should be right there rather than dial it in and keeps it easy for them.