Clicking vs Holdover

Turret tape is the key to dialing. Takes me about 5 minutes at the start of the day to write down new values on the current tape. 

You do trajectory validation one time and you just check weather for each day after that and Strelok will give new values.

It's just one of those things that might be worth a person trying. They might find it works better for them. 

I mean, you have to range the shot regardless of the method you use.

1555267358_3385740745cb37f1ec940c7.78675756_IMG_20190222_081337_602.jpg

Stoti that’s one helluva reticle! I didn’t realize that it also went all the way up top too. Mine goes halfway. Bob, I’m with you on clicking and I started shooting like that, but my critters are all different ranges and I was clicking all day. Not to mention I don’t have turret stops so I goofed and came back down too much which screwed me until I realized my error. My prob if I’m dialing is once I’m ranged and shoot, I need to figure how to go from that distance to the next WITHOUT dialing down first. Then I would be faster to the shot. Maybe not as fast as using the hash marks, but you see the what I mean. Bob, the only difference is that the birds are stationary. Theses squirrels are eating, moving a little, eating. When I get one sunning himself I usually have the time. But on more than one occasion as I calculate the range from rangefinder to Strelok to click, the critters move. Doug, my shooting is like yours so I’m gonna try the holdover method to get as many kills that present themselves.

Oh I understand. I have birds that move from one silo to the next (10 yds difference) and maybe a tree to a barn roof, same with squirrels that go from tree to tree. I don't range and dial each time under those circumstances. If I ranged a target at 60 and it moves to 70, it's just a slight amount of hold-over to make the shot. Same is true for a target that moves closer, just a tad of hold-under.

I have some scope stickers on the way to try out. But for now I just use the JSB pellet tin tape. Sticks lightly without leaving residue on the turret, and sticks to itself so no need for any other tape. I use a fine sharpie to write on there. It rubs right off with your finger so you don't need to put new tape every time. You just have to be careful when dialing so you don't inadvertently rub off any of the current markings.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

1555286055_13733878105cb3c8278ac6c4.17364767_IMG_0474.JPG

Make a dope card similar to this and print it out and laminate it. If you are switching between distances and clicking it makes it real easy and fast to see how many clicks you need to go from one distance to another. If I am shooting in calm conditions and the shots are fast I will use hold over for the speed. If I am shooting in wind I click adjust for drop and hold off for wind no matter how fast I need to shoot. If you are trying to hold over for drop and hold off for wind it makes it allot harder to know if you are exactly 3 moa hold off for wind while you are holding 15 moa high for drop.

Have mildot with dope card for short to 116 yards. May need to take my zero out just a bit. need a little hold over for short range and head shot. I like to leave the scope alone hunting and use Mildots or ranging hash marks. Wind is the biggest thing to judge, much harder than range. It does not take much wind from any direction to take a ground squirrel hold over a squirrel width or several. Marking a shot will quickly tell your hold if the varmint will sit still.

I'm with Bob, I'd rather dial when I shoot, that's why I have a Scope Werks turret. It makes changing to new tapes so much faster and easier. I pre print about 20 tapes and if something in my set up changes, or I switch slugs or pellets, I just write in the new ranges and put the new tape over the old one. Dialing the elevation is the same with any turret, the Scope Werks turret just gives you more room to write stuff down, is less cluttered and changing the tape is easier whenever necessary. In the big scheme of things they're cheap, only like $60-$65. When I don't have time to dial the elevation adjustments is when I use the little reticle card I taped to the rear of my scope. When shooting at longer distances though, where we dial for elevation, there usually isn't a time crunch. Dialing elevation only takes a couple of seconds. Stoti

1555292451_21212811655cb3e1231cd212.62457115_IMG_1087.jpg

Reactions: Bob_O
Holdover, and holdunder, for me. I sight in at 50 yards and shoot anywhere from 30-80 yards in my yard. I shoot at only one magnification (30X on a Hawke 8-32x56). I know the distances to the most common destinations for the critters via a laser range finder. Practice at those ranges gives me the performance of the pellet (JSB 0.25 Heavy Mk II). I've used a ballistics calculator to get the initial idea of what the pellet would do.

Squirrels and raccoons are too sensitive to movement and with the activity of clicking turrets, they would be gone in a second.

Thank you guys. I’ve had lots to think about. I think I’m gonna try a mix. Bob and Stoti have given me food for thought. I am gonna tape my turret, but to the numbers they correspond to after the 1st turn. So if I’m out there at 40 clicks and another squirrel shows himself ranged at 25 clicks. Before I’d go down to zero then back up. With like three rows of numbers corresponding to rotations, I can just dial down to the numbers and I’m ready to pull. 

I doubt I would make a terret adjustment if I had charging elephant closing in .😀 

Assuming that to be an unlikely occurrence . I will attempt to follow Bob O’s lead . His results on video are impressive.

Couple related comments. Those Christmas tree reticles can be too much. If you do dial you need a quality scope. So some of this depends on the equipment you have at your disposal.

HI I see alot do many things and have their own strategies , I m self have programs like streloc pro , ect applied ballistics / an even programs for range finders . I have tried them all , But what I do is practice one day dialing and one day holding over for pcp guns at all distances and angles so it becomes instant , I only use ffp scopes so I can hold over , I do shoot 22 25 and 30 cal pcp and all with different power levels , but after time It seems to become part of me when I see my target I already and ranging and calculation and looking at wind carefully

If I had time I prefer to dial my shots but . if I am in a rapid fire environment I hold for everything . sometimes I just dail for elevation .To me range is easier then reading wind , I also dont want to rely on a program or tape to give me my shot , So I like calculating my shots my self

I am blessed to have great glass for dialing , Smidth and bender ,IOR .STIENER ,SWGA BURRIS XTR ,Trijicon and I have scopes I use to hold over only hawke,dedal ,pulsar

If I am target shooting I like to cross reference my dope to say applied ballistics/kestral to say streloc / liecas range finder/ballistics

and I also like to practice on unknown target sizes at unknown ranges , with out say a range finder with a old trusty Mil Master and my ffp scope .

I feel this is what it comes down to , say the zombies are attacking . and can track your range finder . we need to be familiar at ranging our targets and making a final firing solution with out electronics . what if they went dead ?

SO I like to practice to get better .

LOU

Once you start dialing, you won't ever want to go back!! 

It's as quick as range it and dial it then take the shot. Just have to remember to dial back to your zero before the next shot at a different range, especially if you've gone a full rotation.

Bob I’m a hold over guy because I forget to dial back down... Same reason I don’t switch power on my Compatto, I’ve taken longer shots that I’ve missed because I forgot to go from low to high power. That said your long range shooting speaks for itself.