• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Clearly I needed another hole in my head.........

Care to actually put those items to a test or subject it to peer review?

Accuracy is easy to measure…temp shift is easy to plot, and so is efficiency.

I’ve got tons of long term data to compare to.
Ok I’m breaking out the popcorn and buying a ticket 🎟️ I love mad scientist(s)!

Reactions: qball
The accuracy benchmark for 12-20 fpe guns built by me is 25 shot groups from the bench at 25y indoors that don’t exceed .315” outside to outside. That will translate to a score of 250 and at least 16x.

The same guns should be able to print 25 shot groups at 50y outdoors and be covered by a dime.

For checking efficiency. You can connect your fill rig and use your fill tank gauge to observe the number of shots per 100 psi. It may take you a few tries to get an accurate and repeatable number if you haven’t done this before. Take a sample of at least 400 psi.

To check velocity stability over temp…you have to get the gun cold. Run a shot string over the chrono then put the gun in the fridge for 4 hours. Take a temp measurement of the gun and shoot another string and record. You can use a bbq thermometer inserted into the barrel to check temp.

Here’s 4 25 shot groups at 25y using different pellets and a 25 shot group at 50y from a 12 fpe gun I finished last week.
IMG_0944.jpeg
IMG_0942.jpeg
IMG_0943.jpeg

Thomas guns that were built by other smiths are required to have a distinguishing mark on the bottom of the action block that identifies the builder.

Mike

Reactions: dgeesaman
Thanks Mike

I don't have access to indoor range and my local range is windy perpetually so getting 25 shot groups will be tricky, will try but doubt I can find a windless day. I have little patience for bench rest nor the gears, but I do know the gun is far more accurate than I can shoot.

Will try to see how many shots per 100 PSI like you mentioned over multiple fills.

Temp variable is a great idea, I looked in the fridge but not gonna fit! Doh! I'll try to leave it in the sun to heat it up and see if there is any delta.

Let's see!

Last edited:
Thanks Mike

I don't have access to indoor range and my local range is windy perpetually so getting 25 shot groups will be tricky, will try but doubt I can find a windless day. I have little patience for bench rest nor the gears, but I do know the gun is far more accurate than I can shoot.

Will try to see how many shots per 100 PSI like you mentioned over multiple fills.

Temp variable is a great idea, I looked in the fridge but not gonna fit! Doh! I'll try to leave it in the sun to heat it up and see if there is any delta.

Let's see!

I find that night time shooting is when I get the best air conditions. I put a spot light on the target and a small lamp on the shooting table. I usually have a head mount lamp, also.

I love night shooting, but then again I have been working the night shift for the last decade. Don't ask about my tan ,😉

Reactions: qball
I find that night time shooting is when I get the best air conditions. I put a spot light on the target and a small lamp on the shooting table. I usually have a head mount lamp, also.

I love night shooting, but then again I have been working the night shift for the last decade. Don't ask about my tan ,😉

Sadly I live in suburbia so not enough distance in the yard and too quiet at night, need to make it out to my local range. Allergy and fixing my AC prevented me from shooting a single pellet this weekend. 😭

Nice, now go win some matches.

Fortunately for me my only aspiration is not to place last. 😅 😅 😅

That being said even blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes! Pepe did help me win last year or 2022 Oregon state championship WFTF category......all because good folks from team USA decided to not show up and embarrass me. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: