• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Clearing a Jam

While trying to adjust my scope, I apparently jammed my Seneca Aspen by way of, I think, a second pellet in between being chambered and the rotary magazine. So, yeah...I'm delighted.

I've tried everything I can think of that might remedy this situation. Alas, I'm out of answers, other than breaking the rotary magazine so as to at least get access to the second pellet.

SIGH

@ 2D1C: thanks for the suggestion.

@ socaloldman and bdzjlz: the "space" between the rotary cartridge and the protrusion on the back of the chamber is almost non-existent. I'm guessing that's because of the newness of both the gun and the cartridge. Still, can anyone give me ideas as to what I can do to try and give myself some more wiggle room there, so as to be able to get the blade in a bit further, or even ensure it's on the pellet? Also, I do appreciate the suggestions. I happen to have a couple of those exact types of blades, so this seems to be the best route so far.

It appears to me that the only way to make the cut of the pellet, presuming reasonable access, is from the top of the pellet, not the bottom. (Just not enough space between the bottom of the loading platform and the pellet itself.) Also, what about applying some amount of a lubricant to the area of surgery? Good idea? Bad idea? If good idea, silicone?

Thanks.

Not gonna hurt anything to add some silicone lube but most likely wont help. When I first got my pcp I had a real bad jam, knocked the mag out with a little block of wood. Between the barrel and mag (metal mag) acted like scissors and cut the pellet in half. Not suggesting this just relaying some experience. Of course make sure the probe is retracted assuming you can.

If there's any way of removing the barrel that would be best. Do you have a cleaning rod? I got a cheap one with a brass tip from cabelas, works well.

Have you considered using a soft aluminum or brass cleaning rod and pushing the pellet back into the magazine? If a powder burner revolver has a squib (no powder, only primer) and the bullet lodges between the cylinder and forcing cone, a soft rod is used to push the bullet back into the cylinder so it can then be opened.

If the probe will move into the empty magazine hole, it should work once you pull the probe out.

Maybe?

Not gonna hurt anything to add some silicone lube but most likely wont help. When I first got my pcp I had a real bad jam, knocked the mag out with a little block of wood. Between the barrel and mag (metal mag) acted like scissors and cut the pellet in half. Not suggesting this just relaying some experience. Of course make sure the probe is retracted assuming you can.

If there's any way of removing the barrel that would be best. Do you have a cleaning rod? I got a cheap one with a brass tip from cabelas, works well.

Interesting. I can see why that might work. But the gap between the magazine and the back end of the barrel is almost non-existent, so much so that I'm not sure I can get even a razor blade in there. I'll go take some more looks from this perspective. Thanks.

As far as removing the barrel, I do not know. Even if there was I'd be very reticent to do so, if only because of concern about getting it back on without creating a new set of problems. Still, I'll see what I can find about this option. Thanks.

Have you considered using a soft aluminum or brass cleaning rod and pushing the pellet back into the magazine? If a powder burner revolver has a squib (no powder, only primer) and the bullet lodges between the cylinder and forcing cone, a soft rod is used to push the bullet back into the cylinder so it can then be opened.

If the probe will move into the empty magazine hole, it should work once you pull the probe out.

Maybe?

Yeah...like I told Glem.Chally, at this time removing the barrel sounds like a bad idea for a guy who screwed things up in the first place. Thanks, though.

Maybe?

I have. It didn't work, as I believe that there is one pellet in the barrel, and a second one jammed in behind it. This would mean that the cartridge advanced, allowing the second pellet to enter the barrel, if only partially. So in reality, I think I have a magazine with either a pellet "tube" that is not aligned with the barrel, or a pellet "tube" that is aligned but with two pellets on top of each other in the barrel...or maybe a combination of those two situations.

UPDATE: I was finally able to remove the jammed (and disfigured) pellet.

1560600578_1913840955d04e002a28695.07274259_Rotary Magazine.jpg

This picture shows the rotary cartridge (from the User Manual) being inserted behind the barrel. The dark-colored section of the magazine holds the pellets, while the light-colored section (transparent, actually) rotates so as to allow manual insertion of the pellets. So these two sections rest on each other with the light-colored section rotating over the dark-colored section.

In any event, it was at this juncture of the two sections, as depicted by the red arrow, that I first took a coping saw, and then a hacksaw, to cut through the axis of these two sections. Once I cut through that point, the light-colored section was able to be pulled out and away, at which point a single pellet fell out. I was then able to gain some wiggle room and subsequently remove the bulk of the magazine, with pellets. I then blew compressed air in and around the area behind the barrel, so as to ensure as best I could that there was no foreign matter.

To me, this seemed the least-invasive tactic. That is to say, it was least likely to damage the gun, sacrificing only the rotary magazine, which is replaceable at minimal cost.

I will add that I did remove the scope for this undertaking. 

So now it's back to square one: mount the scope, adjust it, ensure the gun operates appropriately and safely, and try NOT to do this again.

My thanks to everyone for their suggestions, thoughts and good wishes.

P.S. I plan to issue another update regardless if the outcome from here on out is a good one or a bad one.

SECOND UPDATE: The scope has been both remounted and sighted in (for the most part). The gun appears to be functioning without issue, thank God. However, on a sad note, all my targets have moved off-property, but they'll be back.

Yes, GlemChally...exactly. 👍

And blubberboy64, I'm still too new to PCPs to know any better. 😚 But I will say that in my particular case, it was user failure, not equipment. Still, a word to the wise (well, maybe at least wiseR). 😉