Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32 vs Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x33

I bought the Leupold first, had it for a few months, and then got the Clearidge for another gun.

side by side the Leupold offers a slight better image quality/color/light, but definitely not enough to justify paying $350-$400 (Leupold) vs $200 (Clearidge) for me in the future. the Clearridge also has resettable knobs.

the only other downside to the clearidge for me is the glossy finish, which could be covered up by tape. all the matte finish ones are sold out

i see the two mentioned together often enough that i thought a quick comparison might be useful. the only reason i'm holding onto the Leupold is because i got it on sale for pretty cheap, but have not found it at that price range since.

ohhh i'll definitely take a look at that if I ever build a bench gun. i've been really into lightweight setups, and don't see myself wanting a 20oz scope... yet :)

sometimes i wish i would've stayed with UTG and just been happy at the budget budget level!

Not a big fan of large scopes myself.

I prefer objective bells that are less than 40mm, especially if it is front adjustable.

No so bad, a 40mm one, if it is a side focus.

Another contender is the Burris 4.5-14x32 Timberline.

It will focus down to less than 10 yards.

Pomona Airguns still has them.

I gave Pomona AG a call just now and was told they no longer have them (Burris Timberline) in stock.

They need to update their inventory status because it shows to be still in stock.

I was kind of wanting to have this scope for one of my custom carbines.

I have tried and tested this scope years ago when I was still in the Philippines.

Impressive clarity and I do like its size.

Getting spoiled cost $$$$$,I remember years ago this very subject came up and the census is what you found out.

Odoyle got it right on the Elite..also they can be rather light,the Elite keep their valve for a reason.

must be why the matte are all sold out!

i see some 3-9 used elites on ebay at clearidge prices right now.

Darkhorse - thanks for looking into Pomona!

Sticman77,

I have both scopes and agree with you in your comparison.

One thing I will add about the Clearidge. I had to send mine back about a year ago for a repair. I was prepared to wait several weeks to get it back. To my surprise, it came back in no time. They couldn't have had it in their shop for more than a couple of days. Very impressive in this day and age.

I have several of the Burris Timberlines and they are an outstanding compact scope. The crosshairs and mill dot setup are not too thin and not too thick good enough for target but not too thin for hunting. Real low AO below 10yds. The only thing is the eye box is tolerable but not roomy. They have been out of production for at least a year probably two. Sometimes still pop up on Ebay. I think Timberlines were one of the first scopes made in Philippines quickly followed by the Bushnell Legend.

I have a couple of the older Leupold VX-2 3x9 EFR's and I don't think you can beat these for a compact without going crazy with Zeiss etc. They also come with a real nice fine duplex reticle that is very versital from target to hunting. Over at Rimfire Central they really like the UltraXP model at $329 with the Japan optics but not really the cheaper models. Good little "old school" scope company. Might be the only company still selling gloss.

If you care at all about lifetime service/replacement as well as resale value etc you can't beat Leupold. My 3x9 EFR's are worth close to double used what I bought them for new. The longer you hold your scopes the more Leupold makes sense economically. Bushnell makes some nice scopes but is a tad challenged in these areas to say the least. 

Sticman,

I had a Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9 with mil dot reticle on a Beeman Kodiak for years and it held up just fine so that says something for the Clearidge. Clearidge told me if the scope ever failed to perform to send it in!

I don't know how the Leupold Freedom compares to the older Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 EFR or how 10 year old Clearidges compare to today's, but my older Clearidge doesn't hold a candle to my VX-II EFR's.

this thread has turned into a good reference for me when looking for new optics.

r1lover - the difference may be more significant than my eyes can tell, maybe because i've never gone above the entry level leupold level of quality.

also happy to hear the good experiences with clearridge's warranty service... now i need more guns to put more scopes on

I have to weigh in on the Burris Timberline scopes, as I have owned three of them and still have two of them.

The Timberline 4.5-14x32 AO is a great airgun/rimfire scope because of the AO that focuses down to 7 yards. Really bright for a 32mm objective lens. The smaller size ocular bell relative to a lot of whats out there today allows it to clear the bolt handle on older CZ rimfires.

The 3-9x32 is a great scope if you do not need AO and are shooting 50 yards and beyond. Has worked great at PD Town for me. It is unmounted at the moment, but I believe there is a new CZ 527 in the future for it, but haven't decided between .223 Rem or .204 Ruger. When taking quick shots with a brush gun, the AO has to be prefocused anyway, so the lack of it is inconsequential and prevents the AO being at some absurd setting when time to adjust AO does not exist.

Same can be said for the 2-7x32 I once had on an FN-FAL. I traded this scope in on a new Burris Signature Select 4-16x44 and received what I originally paid for the scope in trade value. All the Timberline scopes are very bright and clear for a 32mm objective size.

Can't go wrong with the 4.5-14x32 AO on an airgun or rimfire rifle. They were a great value at their original prices, and could be an even better value when bought used.

Sticman,

I had a Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9 with mil dot reticle on a Beeman Kodiak for years and it held up just fine so that says something for the Clearidge. Clearidge told me if the scope ever failed to perform to send it in!

I don't know how the Leupold Freedom compares to the older Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 EFR or how 10 year old Clearidges compare to today's, but my older Clearidge doesn't hold a candle to my VX-II EFR's.

I do not have a Clearidge but I have the new Freedom with adj A/O and the VX-2 with adj A/O and can tell you except for the glass the new Freedom falls short of the VX-2.