• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cleaning your Air Rifle.....What's your process?

Hi All,

I was just wondering what you do to clean your air rifle. Do you have a regimented process? What cleaning products do you use? How often do you clean your rifle (i.g.. after so many shots, after so many uses, etc.), do you completely disassemble your rifle? I'm trying to learn how to care for my FX Crown since I'm new to air gunning. If you have some time, I would love it if you would share your process. Thanks everyone! 

CrossFire the first thing I would do is go online and find everything thing you can in print about the gun in question BEFORE!! you even consider taking it apart. Search FX Crown in youtube and watch videos (there are a lot of them out) FX and AOA has a bunch 

2nd if you do not have one get a space set aside with a table that you can work on your gun never assume that it is going to be a kitchen table job, trust me on this. It never fails halfway through someone will call you away and loose parts are on the table and they get moved and your avatar picture is all of a sudden going to look just like you😁 bug-eyed and hair and red-faced a spare bedroom with a door is a good place if you do not have a shop just make sure it is off limits 

Take pictures or better yet video of the disassembly it can be your life saver when you reassemble 

CrossFire the first thing I would do is go online and find everything thing you can in print about the gun in question BEFORE!! you even consider taking it apart. Search FX Crown in youtube and watch videos (there are a lot of them out) FX and AOA has a bunch 

2nd if you do not have one get a space set aside with a table that you can work on your gun never assume that it is going to be a kitchen table job, trust me on this. It never fails halfway through someone will call you away and loose parts are on the table and they get moved and your avatar picture is all of a sudden going to look just like you😁 bug-eyed and hair and red-faced a spare bedroom with a door is a good place if you do not have a shop just make sure it is off limits 

Take pictures or better yet video of the disassembly it can be your life saver when you reassemble

Thanks for the post Willie14228. I agree 100% with the pictures and video.

My experience with the FX liner system is limited to one Crown. I found that it lead fouled rather quickly, and needed more aggressive cleaning than a pull through. I removed the liner a few times and gave it a good cleaning with a brush. I believe others have had a similar experience, but like all barrels, the liners are individual in their cleaning requirement, so maybe yours will be easier to maintain. As always, you just have to let performance by your guide. 

When I first got into PCP’s all I tried was the pull thru method with weed wacker line as it seemed the most popular suggestion at the time, but now I go thru the process of removing the barrel completely, shoot a 5 second shot of low VOC brake cleaner down the barrel, then set up the barrel on a padded vice. 

From there two passes with a nylon bristle brush attached to a ball bearing Dewey rod, then a bore mop soaked in rubbing alcohol and let dry.

Once dry I go thru multiple passes with JB Bore brite, wash the JB off when done, then finish off with a high shine, super slick wax.

Not at all saying my method is the best, but what I’ve seen come out after I run that initial alcohol soaked mop after the nylon bristle brush has convinced me that there’s no way I’m getting the barrel “completely and absolutely” clean with weed wacker line and patches. And that’s after the brake cleaner has flushed out most of the crud.

Since my barrels stay clean for a long time, I take opportunity of this method by replacing any o rings involved with the barrel.