Cleaning the bore REALLY did the trick!

1598402561_6389062325f45b00109f155.45873784.jpg

Just for kicks a couple days ago I mounted a 4-12X rifle scope on my beloved .22 AR6 Hunting Master pistol, only to find she wasn't grouping worth a flip. Fifty yard groups in still conditions were much worse than this awesome six-shooter usually prints with its usual 2-7X pistol scope. 

Dirty yes, but the cleaning patches showed no evidence of leading or other gremlins. Of course I couldn't wait to check results; so figured I'd shoot at least enough rounds to "season" the sterile bore... despite very gusty winds. 

The first shot through the clean bore printed about an inch higher (at 50 yards) than the last 5 rounds in the cylinder, suggesting a dirty bore might have indeed been the accuracy problem. The next six-shot group measured slightly over 1", slightly better than the Hunting Master averages at 50. So I decided to reload the cylinder and shoot six more rounds at the same aiming spot, on the same charge; knowing very well that would be a couple shots more than my ten-shot, 3400 PSI fill "sweet-spot" powerband.

Much to my satisfaction shots 7 through 10 fell right into the previous six-shot group. Not unexpectedly, shot 11 printed 1/2" low of the fine group. So knowing velocity was falling, I held 1" above my aiming spot to put shot 12 back into the nice group. 

If we ignore shot 11, the twelve-shot group measures 1.23" center-to-center... BUT WE DON'T! The full twelve-shot group in gusty winds measures 1.5" center-to-center; not only back to the Hunting Masters usual gratifying level of fifty-yard accuracy, but not too shabby for a REVOLVER producing 750 FPS and 20 foot-pounds (with 15.9 grain JSBs). She's BAAAAACK!

Happy Shooting Y'all,

RR