• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cleaning Pellets

Not necessary really. Most competition shooters will wash with dawn or similar, dry, sort by weight/size, and lube. It will help seating pellets into the lead easier and keep the barrel cleaner besides the accuracy aspect of weighting and sizing. Not necessary though. I do it to maybe half of my pellets and don't see much difference but then again I don't compete or even shoot 100 yards that often

I did a whole series on "tuning" up pellets. Washing all the way to rolling. The biggest difference is gained by simply washing. Lubing is rifle specific (did a video on that too). Often times, I'll put a thin film of divers grease on my breech or probe o-ring. That helps the pellet load smoothly and the probe seat easier. it also helps to lengthen the life of the o-rings. 

Tom

I’ve gone back and forth with and without lube and it doesn’t make a big difference with pellets unless the barrel has a choked muzzle (and even then, only if it's a particularly tight one). The benefits of lubing slugs however is more pronounced because of the vastly greater contact with the bore.

Granted, most of my airguns have gotten a JB Bore Paste and Bore Bright treatment so they no longer have the same propensity to lead up. Lubing was more useful before that.

Meanwhile I still wash and lube my pellets most of the time, more so to tumble them in a wire strainer to break up flashing and parting lines. It’s not a magic wand but it often improves otherwise ho-hum pellets into something usable.

For example, I had a tin of .22 Crosman Premier Hollow Points that wouldn't group better than about 1.25" at 25 yards. After tumble deburring, they were closer to 1/2".

The .177s in the photo improved as well but not nearly to the same extent. They were just too far gone.

I think that it's more psychological than anything else. I remember reading about rimfire bench-rest shooters weighing and measuring their ammo and sorting them by weight. It was an exercise in futility, but it made them feel better. I had an Anschutz silhouette rifle that was extremely accurate. I tried the weighing and measuring. It made no difference.