• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cleaning Pellets.

Because of my use of Black Powder guns I'm use to adding a wad behind the bullet and in front of it to help clean out the barrel from the last shot and also prevent chain fires. I was wondering if that could be the same for airguns or to be used to replace a pellet to clear the chamber. I looked for something based on a post here and found these. https://www.straightshooters.com/beeman-cleaning-pellets-.25.html. Does anyone ever use a cleaning pellet?

Fun Fact: Q-Tips fit a .177 barrel perfectly and cost a lot less than cleaning pellets do and they do just as good of a job in my experience. On springers I usually just push them through with a carbon fiber rod but on PCPs you could probably just shoot them through with the moderator removed. On average a Q-Tip weighs about 7gr so you could shoot them safely through most springers as well. Snap it in half (or don't depending on the gun), load it fuzzy side first, load a JSB 8.44gr or CP behind it, and fire. Even my 30S has no problem pushing them out.

Last edited:
In my opinion why bother with ‘cleaning pellets’?
Buy a pull through cleaner, such as the economical patchworm, or my preference the ATP Boreman. They’ll last most of a lifetime. Then pull simple dry patches or wet, your preference.
But, it is good to have options in life, even when cleaning airgun barrels 🖖

Buy a pull through cleaner, such as the economical patchworm, or my preference the ATP Boreman. They’ll last most of a lifetime. Then pull simple dry patches or wet, your preference.
I agree with this to an extent. Some pcp’s that have fixed magazines, or hard to reach breech areas can benefit from cleaning pellets. A lot of Huben and lcs guys use them instead of taking their guns completely apart to clean the barrel.

Fun Fact: Q-Tips fit a .177 barrel perfectly and cost a lot less than cleaning pellets do and they do just as good of a job in my experience. On springers I usually just push them through with a carbon fiber rod but on PCPs you could probably just shoot them through with the moderator removed. On average a Q-Tip weighs about 7gr so you could shoot them safely through most springers as well. Snap it in half (or don't depending on the gun), load it fuzzy side first, load a JSB 8.44gr or CP behind it, and fire. Even my 30S has no problem pushing them out.
Oh wow I been putting the fuzzy in back🥴 and nothing else

I only use them in my 10m, Steyr, target pistol. The way that the gun is designed, there is no convenient way to put a "pull through" cord out of the breach, and around the corner. Way too small of an area.
So...I do what the manual says to do, put the small wadds/"cleaning pellets" through it. Only done it twice, both times, white clean.

My other guns, I use a "pull though" cord with a wet "patch" at the end.

Mike

Heck, dont need to buy a fancy one. Just use strong thin nylon cord/ harness/heavy carpet type thread . A small cheap spool makes a plenty.. heck you may even have just the thing already around the house .😉

image198.jpg

That works too!
I started out making one with a length of shrink tubing and doubled up cord. Turned out that after the shrink tube was shrank with a heat gun, it didn’t get as tight as I would have liked it, so I gave up.
Bought the Boreman and it should last for the rest of my life.
I do like to make things though.

18"-24" weedeater line, burn end to make a "mushroom", cut other end on a bias to make a point... use favorite cleaning patch, done.

Now... make 2 of them and then stick them together. You can push-pull the patch and not have to remove the patch until it loosens up in the bore.

This is my go-to method of "burnishing" a bore with a metal polish. You can get in hundreds of strokes on a tight spot with one patch.

I use the beeman cleaning pellets. They seem to help for when you don't wanna pull the shroud and baffles off a gun since you'll have to resight after usually. I just load a mag of them and fire them out. Wear ear pro, they make a sonic crack and they will go through a couch cushion😆 so make sure to aim safely.