Cleaning pellet (felt) with regular pellet behind it - bad idea?

Mycap, what do you use to polish your bores?
Thick (tight) cotton patch with JB bore paste rubbed into it. I'll run a few passes like that. The patches start off black and move to a rustish color. It never comes out completely clean. I think it's a reaction the paste has with the steel. I'll usually push a couple dry patches through afterwards. I've skipped the last step on my personal guns without issue.

They all shoot well enough I don't dare touch the barrels now. The more shots they have on them the better they shoot. Lead fouling is an important part of accuracy. A good scrubbing ruins the accuracy for sometime. Some people figuratively shoot themselves in foot by constantly cleaning their barrels. They never become properly fouled or call it seasoned if that sounds better to you.

FWIW, if I get a used gun, I assume it's had Crosman (hard lead) pellets run through it at one time and I'll start with a bronze brush. I want to be sure I'm starting with a clean slate. You can't believe the clouds of crap that come out of older guns before I go to the JB paste. I only work on Weihrauchs so I can't recommend this for other brands.

Again a thorough cleaning like this will initially ruin accuracy for a while and have you questioning what you just did. I now only use H&N, JSB and RWS pellets to avoid hard lead fouling. Cheaper pellets aren't really cheaper if you have to throw away a few hundred each time you occasionaly have to scrub the barrel. Not to mention they upset the accuracy of the more expensive pellets.

I have hink most find .177 harder to clean due to not much stuff under .22 size.

Building your own patch worm thing pretty much a best option. As most say above

I use a strong nylon harness thread double up with a loop end . I van use steel, brass , copper wool , scotch Brite, and cotyon/ cloth patches .

Also i can add a extra string so i can scrub back and forth on real dirty barrels .
patchworm.jpg

One thing i will say of you do that pellet and cleaning plug and that swells one or the other 1/2 in the barrel and it's stuck + being .177. Lol... Your going to have a bad day .... Real bad.

On PCP's, I use cleaning pellets to improve accuracy. I fire 3 dry cleaning pellets, when I see my accuracy start to drop off. Seems to work fine as far as improving accuracy. This way you are not removing the smoothe conditioning lead. I can do this at my shooting bench and start shooting in less than a minute. Accuracy restored, without having to shoot a number of pellets, to restore the advantageous lead in the bore.

For springers, patchworm for sure, just use dry patches, for the same reason as above.

I would never shoot cleaning pellets thru a springer, to many possible issues. I use beeswax spray on my pellets and in my bore. Beeswax is self cleaning, in otherwords it doesn't build up. On the rare ocassion I do get some buildup, one pull thru patch with beeswax spray and barrel is clean, two on rare ocassions if it has been a long time since last cleaning. Never have had a lead fouling problem since I started using it back in the early 90's....but there are numerous ways to handle barrel cleaning, just how much effort you want to put into it...