• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cleaning pellet (felt) with regular pellet behind it - bad idea?

I have read that 'firing' cleaning pellets through my .177 Weihrauch springers is not recommended, but is it possible to place a cleaning pellet in the bore, then place a regular pellet behind it & fire both (in one shot)? If not, what would be the recommended procedure for the use of cleaning pellets? Thread them onto a 'Patchworm' - type bore cleaning pull? What about placing multiple cleaning pellets into a bore & firing that package?

I don't presently have any cleaning pellets but contemplating acquisition of some - TIA :)

Reactions: Deerstalker
What do you feel the advantages using cleaning pellets over standard patches is ?
If it’s your gun and regular maintenance is done to it. It should not take that many patches to clean the bore. If it’s an old gun. Maybe new to you. It will probably take lots of patches to clean.
And with patches you can see your cleaning progress. I guess if you recover the cleaning pellets you could see the results.
I made a patchworm style device with string trimmer line.
Lastly a quick search. 300 cleaning pellets are about $17.00
800 .177 patches are about $14.00.

I personally wouldn't shoot cleaning pellets through any of my guns, but if you're already going to do it, then I'd suggest stuffing a couple o' more of them into the barrel, especially if the gun is powerful - over 12 ft/lbs. However, I definitely wouldn't shoot cleaning pellets through a moderated barrel, or otherwise through a barrel that's got a can at the end of it, because the cleaner could get stuck in some baffle and could therefore affect accuracy thereafter.

I've never tried cleaning pellets, only patches using Patchworm and that has worked well for me.

I've been viewing various dealers websites contemplating my next pellet purchase package and thought a box of cleaning pellets might be added to the order.

@Triglav, good point on the moderated barrel - thanks! :)

@d_denver, is that 'one shot' with the 3 pellets?

Reactions: Deerstalker
I rarely clean my airgun bore. If accuracy falls off then in a last attempt to bring it back to a “zero” position, I’ll use a rod, brush, patches and a jag. I’ll soak a patch with Shooters Choice and rap it over a brush. One or two passes back and forth loosens up the lead. The patch is black. Then with the jag and many patches, finish the cleaning. With shooters choice I’ll get lead residue out continually for several patches. Now the bore is as new. How can a 1/4”, dry, cleaning pellet blasting through the bore at an incredible speed do anything to remove lead? Another Beeman money making scheme.

I only recommend cleaning the barrel when accuracy degrades like a few others have stated. The only time I shoot is when I am at the range so it pays to be ready. Nothing worse than having a range trip ruined by a rifle that loses accuracy all of a sudden.

I recommend the Patchworm kits. Small enough to keep in the range bag along with a small bottle of Ballistol. Keep a plastic straw for baffles on PCP's and Bob's your uncle. Patchworm sells felt cleaning pellets in different calibers and they compliment the kit well when soaked in Ballistol.

I've never tried cleaning pellets, only patches using Patchworm and that has worked well for me.

I've been viewing various dealers websites contemplating my next pellet purchase package and thought a box of cleaning pellets might be added to the order.

@Triglav, good point on the moderated barrel - thanks! :)

@d_denver, is that 'one shot' with the 3 pellets?
Yes , one shot with 3 pellets

Reactions: numbertwo
Cleaning pellets are worthless. Airgun barrels seldom need cleaning. When they do, felt pellets aren't aggressive enough to do anything.

Traditional airgun barrels should be cleaned and polished when new to remove corrosion protectant and smooth machining burrs. After that they shouldn't need to be cleaned if you use soft lead pellets. If you use hard lead pellets like Crosman you'll need to occasionally clean the barrel due to fouling from the antimony content. Felt pellets will not remove hard lead fouling. Therefore felt pellets are useless.

I will clean and polish a barrel when I buy a used gun or do a tune for someone. After a good cleaning it can take a couple hundred shots before the barrel fouls (in a good way) and accuracy can be judged.

This is a very debated subjuct but this is what has worked for me. I have airguns that shoot very well and they haven't had their barrels cleaned in tens of thousands of shots since switching to soft lead brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1