Cleaning issue with pull through

Got the RedWolf and every time I clean the barrel with patchworm pull through I blow the barrel oring within 100 shots. I have used the felt plugs, a plain small patch that patchworm supplies. Same issue, so any ideas? It is not easy to just remove the barrel without taking the scope off and removing grub screws from the carbon fiber shroud so I'm not going there. Change the oring every time I clean it? I'm frustrated because it never blows when I want it to, go figure. I don't use any solvents either. Help!!

I'm wondering why they decided to use a breach o-ring on the Red Wolf instead of a bolt probe o-ring like the Daystate Huntsman Regal, Air Wolf and Air Ranger. I hate breach o-rings! Sorry, I know this doesn't help your question but was just curious if it made a difference between the two styles (breach o-ring vs. bolt probe o-ring). I would also suggest a smaller patch to run through it.

I would like to throw something out there about these breech o-rings, there seems to be a significant amount of issues with these things, some people don't have any problems others have issues. I have 6k pellets through my Wildcat and I clean a lot with no problems. For the last 10 years of my machinist career (38yr) I ran parts for air actuated cylinders on CNC turning and milling centers, and it was a rare day I didn't machine sometimes hundreds of internal seal or o-ring grooves, in plastic to stainless steel and everything in between. These o'ring grooves were tricky to program tricky to machine and tricky to measure, each of these grooves must be chamfered on both sides at the top the width is critical the depth is critical the surface finish at the bottom and sides must be correct ( that is difficult to check) and the smaller the ID hole the more difficult these operations are, also in production these dimensions can change due to flex of the cutting tools, I always 100% checked mine, generally on smaller ID holes I would have to cut setup parts to measure. Just have to wonder if the problem is in the grooves themselves, because I've sure seen a lot of ID groove related problems in my tenure, these checks take time and very experienced people to verify these measurements. I would love to measure some of these grooves, quality control on these ID features is easy to ignore, be a good question for a master airgun smith. If I had issues I would be all over this...Long story short don't take it for granted the grooves are correct.

Also. If you do buy mre Orings get Viton or 90 buna. They are tougher material and should last longer.

I have been talking about this with a couple of friends. I'm shooting the 34's out of my RedWolf and after about 30 shots, it kills the o'ring. Doesn't matter if it just been cleaned or not. I even tried removing the o'ring and cleaning. It still kills the o'ring. I think it is because of the amount of pressure required to push the 34 and the o'ring just can't deal with it. So I am going to get some buna 90's and see if it helps any. If not, I'll just have to stick with the 25's.

And there may be something to the fact that the groove might not be perfect.

Crusher

Also. If you do buy mre Orings get Viton or 90 buna. They are tougher material and should last longer.

I have been talking about this with a couple of friends. I'm shooting the 34's out of my RedWolf and after about 30 shots, it kills the o'ring. Doesn't matter if it just been cleaned or not. I even tried removing the o'ring and cleaning. It still kills the o'ring. I think it is because of the amount of pressure required to push the 34 and the o'ring just can't deal with it. So I am going to get some buna 90's and see if it helps any. If not, I'll just have to stick with the 25's.

And there may be something to the fact that the groove might not be perfect.

Crusher

That is a bummer. i would send it back as it seems to be a manufacturing defect not user error. Good luck either way.

Good morning-

As I come from a competition air pistol background I learned not to clean, at all, until accuracy drops. I have shot 1200, or so, pellets through my Red Wolf with no obvious damage to the breech seal and no change in accuracy. I would just like to have a spare, for when the time comes. 

Kind regards,

I only clean when pellets start flying wild on me. I had this issue with my renegades as well especially the .25cal when using 34gr JSBs. The fix for the renegades and what I have done with my Redwolf is switching to the Viton Orings. No issues since i switched. .22 Breech orings are 1.5mm x 5mm. I think shooting my RW on hi power has something to do with it as well. The harder oring can handle the pressure. The Viton orings I am using are 75 hardness. 

Good afternoon-

Hookster's dimensions, 1.5 x 5 appear accurate, from my measurements.

http://www.oringsandmore.com/viton-fkm-o-ring-5-x-1-5mm-price-for-10-pcs/

I posted an enquiry, today, directly to Daystate requesting all seal dimensions, and a complete parts schematic for the Red Wolf rifle. Daystate is closed on Monday for the summer bank holiday, though. I will post whatever information I receive, from them.

Kind regards,