Tuning Cleaning FX smooth twist barrels?

Once they start to wear in they don't need much cleaning. But most of mine still need it every 600+ shots these days when the accuracy falls off a bit. I actually can't remember when I last cleaned my well used .25 slug A liner I have 12K rounds through this one. I also lap my liners when I get them to hurry this seldom need cleaned thing along.

I had some accuracy issues with a gun I just got (used) with a 500mm superior barrel. For poops and giggles, I cleaned the barrel. It was FILTHY!! 
afterwards, groups tightened up substantially. I don’t believe a word he says about these barrels. Some need cleaning, some dont. Also, slugs tend to gum the barrel up faster than pellets I’ve found. 
B90AEF55-971C-402D-BC2D-59515921F1E4.1629378562.jpeg

Reactions: Impact701
It depends a lot on what liner and which projectiles you are shooting. Let accuracy(usually more "flyer" pellets/slugs in your groups) be your guide for cleaning frequency. Some combos dirty up(lose accuracy) faster than others.

Also, it depends on what level of accuracy you expect. What is accurate enough for Matt's pesting, may not be accurate enough for someone else's benchrest shooting

I had some accuracy issues with a gun I just got (used) with a 500mm superior barrel. For poops and giggles, I cleaned the barrel. It was FILTHY!! 
afterwards, groups tightened up substantially. I don’t believe a word he says about these barrels. Some need cleaning, some dont. Also, slugs tend to gum the barrel up faster than pellets I’ve found. 
B90AEF55-971C-402D-BC2D-59515921F1E4.1629378562.jpeg

I 100% agree. Slugs get it dirty quick and accuracy improves with even a couple runs with a patch. I do mine every 100 rounds, 4 passes with a patch, takes 2-3 minutes. Every 500 I scrub. 

Agree that the older solid ST barrels almost never needed cleaning. I clean the .30 FX Bobcat barrel about once a year "just because"... Like what was said above the STX liners are on a case by case basis, and slugs seem to require more cleaning that pellets. Just a thought, if you think Matt (or Ernest or Roelf or Gerhard or Ken) shoot the liners that come with their guns, and don't cherry pick from a large selection of liners and choose the best of 25/50/100?, then I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you...

I've also used a lot of ST barrels, and it seems the older ones tend to not need cleaning much if ever. (I still use one because it's an excellent barrel) The STX on the other hand might need it 200-600 rounds. But found when I polished and waxed mine, I've yet to need to clean it again. At least the one I gave that treatment. The superior I have has never needed cleaning either. 

Cherry picking has and will always be a thing with barrels. As long as there is reputation and competition to maintain. But is it entirely ethical? It's a bit grey.

All my LW barrels aside from one with a custom choke foul up pretty quick. They tend to be very tight. All that friction (like with slugs) leads to a lot of lead debris in the barrel. 

A "worst case" scenario might be if shooting hard alloy oversised pellets, which are fouling barrel, and then going back to soft lead JSB. I do not think the soft lead pellets will be able to push out the harder lead fouling. In my experiance it might need a proper pull with a nylon, or bronse brush first, then followed with regular patches, before going back to JSB pellets. If you shoot only the same type of pellets, you can probably shoot much longer before needing to clean. Think Matt for the most parts shoot slugs in his guns, and he might be true about his guns, doeas not need cleaning. Maybe the longer surface of the slugs work better pushing out the fouling? If the barrel is alredy fouled with hard lead, a pellet with a tiny surface against the barrel, may be stripped away of its surface, berfore being able to remove what is already there?