Cleaning and Caring for Your Riflescope

First off I’m not posting this as an authority suggesting that I’m qualified to pen a definitive guide to scope maintenance. What I aim to do here is share information found in older threads, share some things that I have done, to obtain more accurate and detailed information to compile within this thread. 

I sometimes read threads where someone will recommend a scope and a big scope discussion ensues fill of claims and speculation. Occasionally a rush to buy a particular scope that was discussed occurs. Other times a newer member will join and ask the same question asked dozens of times by members new to the sport like “what’s the best scope for….?” I also notice a lot of scopes for sale in the classifieds. I’ve also occasionally read of folks complaining that they bought scopes from online retailers and received a used scope that were advertised as new. All of this got me thinking, how can you ensure that you’re getting a well cared for scope when buying used? I also wondered, is it wise to invest in mid-upper tier glass when you don’t know much about caring for scopes and coated lenses? Or should you learn to care for a decent economy scope before investing in more expensive glass?

As a hunter, my scopes a get dirty out in the field especially the scope on my light woods-walking gun. On a hunt I’m often out trekking through brush in the woods or sitting in an open pasture area exposed to wind (dust), fog, changing weather where my gun and scope are exposed during and after dew point where condensation is an issue, or a combination of several factors. I’m beginning to notice a gritty sound coming from my magnification ring on my main hunting scope. Ordinarily my scope body and rings get wiped down when I wipe my guns down and oil them. This is does not occur after every use.

As for when the glass gets dirty I use a camera lens cleaning kit (see pic below). The blower (it has a bulb that I squeeze channeling through air through a narrow opening) is used first to blow away as much loose dust as possible. What I’ve noticed is that the dust is sometimes sticking to the lens. When I see this I use a lens brush in attempt to whisk away more dust. From there I will use a microfiber cloth that came with the scope to gently wipe away some of the rest. Then I finish it off with a pre-moistened lens wipe using circular motions from the inside (middle) of the lens outwards.

1CC69BCB-CAEF-44A3-802E-5DC7A9982D19.1647526719.jpeg

I’d like to read some sound input on some of your regimens and how to properly care for scopes to ensure a long life on a quality scope. Here are some older AGN threads I’ve found discussing some of this https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/repeated-cleaning-of-scope-lens-with-lens-wipes/

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/what-can-i-used-to-clean-the-objective-lens-on-my-bushnell-legend/

There were a couple others, but I’m not so sure about what some folks were suggesting and I didn’t want to repost them. 

I own Leupolds and Burris scopes, like the poster mentioned I use a blower abd a lebs brush to get debris off the lens. I also use a lense pen to gently wipe the lense or a lense cloth. I also keep scope caps on all my scopes, those with the clear see thru covers. It only takes a second to push the tab to open them open and if weather is really bad, I just keep them closed and look thru...I see no visual problem looking thru them. Have had my scopes for over 30 yrs with no issues !!

I'm not so sure about using the Q-Tip as a lens cleaner. I work on many revolvers (Revoman, get it?) and I can tell you that early on, I would use Q-Tips to clean between the thumb cylinder release and the rear shield. I started noting very fine scratches in the blueing in that area, so I stopped using the Q-Tip as a cleaner and simply removed the thumb release and wiped with a clean rag. No more fine scratches in the blueing in that area.

Maybe I had a bad batch, but I won't use Q-Tips for cleaning other than unseen areas that don't matter.

mike

Ezana, that is what I usually use to clean my scopes after being out in the field along with alcohol wipes on lenses after blowing off most of the dust if need be. I also use electronic compressed air canisters on scope and rifle...gets to hard to reach tiny crevices with more oomph, not needed on scope as much unless it was really dusty out. Thinking outside the box thread!

I typically have a microfiber cloth in my bag when the guns go out. Have been doing this since my last deployment and my optic was basically blasted with sand and garbage. Hard to see through a dirty optic to do your job.

Practice I always use is to start at the center of the lens and make a circular path to the outside of the optic. Doesn't need any real pressure because you don't want the debris to scratch the lens.

For the most part the higher end glass is typically fairly resistant to scratches. Much like the lenses in glasses people wear all day. Just be gentle and they will be fine. That is one reason why the "buy once, cry once" mantra makes sense to me. Quality optics have better coatings and are typically more resistant to damage

Get some flip up scope caps, you are better off cleaning the lens ONLY when necessary. 

When I’m on a stand the covers remain open. What I like to avoid is the sound of the audible “click,” often heard when opening the covers, alerting or scaring away animals.

EZAMA4CE-

go to your local Home Depot, door and window gasket isle, and get some gasket material that’s around 3/8” wide by 1/4” thick. It’s adhesive backed so place a small strip onto your cap. When it flips up the gasket will remove that snap noise it gets when slapping onto your scope.

I prefer the 1/4” tube style gasket strips, myself-

258A4C1E-D69F-4E04-8777-945339B616B2.1648911541.jpeg
6F227A5A-21EC-43D0-9137-9035D6CF67E4.1648911543.jpeg

download.png
DD374236-812B-4597-A4B7-1BCE3D9137CB.1648912873.jpeg

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I tried cleaning around my turrets and adjustable magnification ring with a nylon brush and I am happy with the results. It eliminated some of the gritty feel when rotating the ring. I will continue doing this when cleaning my woods walking scope.

@bigragu I will definitely keep that in mind for springy scope covers. I hadn’t encountered that issue. The “click” I was referring to is what I hear as I open the covers. When closing them I am sure to push them shut firm enough to hear the cover “snap” or “click” securely. If I fail do this I have often had a problem with the eyepiece cover flying open on my way out of the woods when it brushes up against my hip or some brush. With this in mind, the same sound is heard when I open them again. When the woods are calm and I open the cover I have caused animals to stop moving or run off. 

In my search for cleaning scope lenses I'd come across varied suggestions. Someone suggested that I reach out the the scope manufacturer about how they suggest cleaning their scope lenses. I had a dirty Vortex scope I wanted to clean and the following instructions were what was communicated to by a Vortex Optics technician:

"
Thank you for reaching out!

I am happy to give you some pointers regarding cleaning your lenses.

Caked on mud can certainly be a challenge when cleaning lenses. First things first, here is a list of recommended tools and solvents to use:

Nylon brush style lens pen
Ordinary cotton Qtips
Wooden toothpick
Canned or preferably compressed air
Water
60 to 90% Isopropyl Alcohol
Liquid lens cleaner solution
Paper towel

The key to this is really going to be technique more than anything, so I apologize if some of this sounds rudimentary or redundant. First thing I do is blow away and loose debris with some strong compressed air, preferably from a hose. The next thing I do is kind of try to break up any harder stuck on pieces with the nylon brush end of a lens pen. I will kind of poke at the crust and try to flick it out as I do, rotating the entire bino around the lens pen. Periodically I will turn the bino upside down and let the debris fall off the lens as I pick and flick the mud. I focus on the rim of the lens mostly. If there is still stubborn dirt after this you can go after it very carefully with a wooden toothpick, try to poke very intentionally, do not drag the pick across the glass. Continually keep picking and flicking with the nylon brush to remove any loose material as well as blasting with compressed air as you go.

Eventually you should get to the point where you pretty much only have a dusty kind of surface left. When you get to that point, soak the paper towel in water and lay it very carefully on the lens itself to try and soften up the dust. Make sure not to scrub with the paper towel, try to avoid rubbing the glass until you get to the q tips. Soak the q tips in water and very carefully wipe from side to side the lens. Go slowly and do not use alot of pressure. It should almost feel like you are doing a charcoal or pencil rubbing over a plaque or something like that. Continue to let is dry and hit it again with the brush and air. After that, go after it with the same process just with the alcohol on the qtip instead. Repeat again with the lens cleaner. After you hit the lens with the cleaner, go ahead and blow some hot moist breath on the lens to fog it up and clean it with the felt pad end of your lens pen and that should do it.

Do not use any solvents other than the alcohol and remember not to rub the lens until all the dust and dirt has been removed.

It's very difficult to really express the best way to clean them without having a lot of experience, and plenty of screw ups along the way.

As always, if you don't feel comfortable cleaning the lenses, we can always help you out and do that for you. Just let us know.

I hope that helps you out, please let me know if you have any other questions we can help you with."

After reading this and watching some videos I cleaned my scope lenses using a brush, bulb blower, q-tips, isopropyl alcohol, and lens wipes. I think I did ok . That was the first time I had done a more in depth type of rifle scope lens cleaning. Just thought to share it. I'll post a link to a helpful video I watched when I find it again.
Edit: Here's the video. It's for camera lenses, but seems to work well for rifle scopes as well.
I'm told that one's technique is key and that this sort of cleaning should only be done if necessary. In my case I had a layer of dust and dirt stuck to my lens.

Last edited: