N/A Cleaning a new barrel

There are shops that claim that they test every rifle before it leaves their store.
So I wonder if they are cleaning every barrel before the test, or if they are just shooting through the grease?
I never hear anything about them cleaning the barrel before they test the rifle, just the claim that they test every rifle.
I’m not complaining about it, just wondering about it since it seems weird to test a rifle without cleaning the barrel.
Does anyone else wonder about this?

There are shops that claim that they test every rifle before it leaves their store.
So I wonder if they are cleaning every barrel before the test, or if they are just shooting through the grease?
I never hear anything about them cleaning the barrel before they test the rifle, just the claim that they test every rifle.
I’m not complaining about it, just wondering about it since it seems weird to test a rifle without cleaning the barrel.
Does anyone else wonder about this?
Good question!

Reactions: Ta-Ta Toothie
I don't think the dealer or distributor is test shooting the guns, they air it up and leave it over night only for leak test or couple dry shots maybe. This would explain that after a day of shooting your gun start leaking because the orings sittin to a position.
I could be wrong but, a dealer to test your gun with shooting it that shall include your consent or request, and probably an extra cost one of you to take care of. At least that happened with my dealer and I said I will take care of it.
Can this explain the oil or grease in the barrel?

As a side note, this is not only air rifles related. I have a friend who buys he's $20K streetbikes only if he sees still sitting in a closed crate and opens only where he is present (he is on he's 3rd bike now) ... He cannot stand that somebody had a "closer look" on things he is buying ... like on shop floor visitors just want to try the seat or brakes or go for a test ride...
So there are people and people also dealers and dealers.

It will be interesting to see... I ordered a DRS from HPP, they say they test and inspect every air gun before shipping. Their shipment arrived on Saturday morning and it shipped out Monday afternoon. I did receive an e-mail stating it was shooting 18.1 grain pellets at 909FPS and they got 60 shots out of it, 58 before it dropped off the regulator. No mention of what else their test and inspection consist of, but based on that alone, I am assuming at least 60 pellets went down the barrel!

I'm going clean the barrel and go over it and check all exposed fasteners before I shoot it, so I guess I will see if the barrel is clean and everything is nice and snug.

Me personally I’d rather clean my own barrel. Whatever lubes the factory uses in the barrel making process I still want in there. How many times do you read on guys complaining they got too many air guns and some of them had never been fired, just unboxed and put in the safe? In that scenario, if I was ever in a situation with too many guns and not enough time, I would be glad knowing the barrel was internally lubed

I think dealers should place tape on the gage faces, showing the edge of tape against the needle when they do a pressure test and document date and time on the tape, and leave it on for the customer to see when the gun is unboxed. It’s a three minute task so it’s not like it takes too long to do, and I feel there will be fewer complaints of customers upset over their $2K expense that came with a leak.

Me personally I’d rather clean my own barrel. Whatever lubes the factory uses in the barrel making process I still want in there. How many times do you read on guys complaining they got too many air guns and some of them had never been fired, just unboxed and put in the safe? In that scenario, if I was ever in a situation with too many guns and not enough time, I would be glad knowing the barrel was internally lubed

For this reason, I don't clean a customers barrel unless I am asked to do so. I try to assume nothing and dont touch anything that I have not been specifically asked to address.

I think dealers should place tape on the gage faces, showing the edge of tape against the needle when they do a pressure test and document date and time on the tape, and leave it on for the customer to see when the gun is unboxed. It’s a three minute task so it’s not like it takes too long to do, and I feel there will be fewer complaints of customers upset over their $2K expense that came with a leak.
I think that method could actually lead to more complaints. For example, If I order a gun from the warm south during the winter, and it's shipped to my house here in the freezing northeast, the pressure might easily have dropped 10-20 bar below the marking tape, because of temperature change. Would I assume a slow leak?
Also, every time you fill a PCP, it will drop several bar after the internal air drops in temperature over time.
Too many variables IMHO.

Reactions: Firewalker
I think that method could actually lead to more complaints. For example, If I order a gun from the warm south during the winter, and it's shipped to my house here in the freezing northeast, the pressure might easily have dropped 10-20 bar below the marking tape, because of temperature change. Would I assume a slow leak?
Also, every time you fill a PCP, it will drop several bar after the internal air drops in temperature over time.
Too many variables IMHO.
Thats pretty simple too. On the same tape. "filled to 250bar @72 F" Date also. Of coarse the tape would have to be a bit longer than the face of the gauge.

Do dealers That do text fire clean first? No idea, but the last two I bought came with chronograph print out and another piece of paper with a very nice tight pattern that looked way too good to have come from a dirty barrel.

New_RTI_data.jpg

I'm with ya on cleaning before shooting. Especially if I was having terrible accuracy. I have a patchworm pull through with some dry pads and some in ballistal in my range bag .

I have jumped the gun before. My Urban shot great when dirty . Lol But they can be pretty bad sometimes, with grease and whatnot. The qb78 I had was terrible. Here's a couple pic's.

20230327_121409.jpg
20230327_141319.jpg

It will be interesting to see... I ordered a DRS from HPP, they say they test and inspect every air gun before shipping. Their shipment arrived on Saturday morning and it shipped out Monday afternoon. I did receive an e-mail stating it was shooting 18.1 grain pellets at 909FPS and they got 60 shots out of it, 58 before it dropped off the regulator. No mention of what else their test and inspection consist of, but based on that alone, I am assuming at least 60 pellets went down the barrel!

I'm going clean the barrel and go over it and check all exposed fasteners before I shoot it, so I guess I will see if the barrel is clean and everything is nice and snug.
Congratulations P! Do post ur thoughts which I hope are FANTASTIC!