Clean and process squirrels

So I am kind of anal on how I clean my game, all game. I understand the pesting part of air gunning and know what damage critters such as squirrels can do if it is something I can eat I utilize it. There again I try not to do body shots. Not that a well placed shot in the chest will put your quarry down if you are off a bit a pellet can mess up some good meat. Yes I miss some head shots or am off enough I take out a front leg from time to time. From my last post I took one squirrel and did a step by step on how I process them. Also from last post you know I have a bum shoulder well I am kind of an old mess and they have been in my lumbar area four times and the last was a spinal fusion L5 S1 A bit of work on the L5 but not as invasive. So when cleaning game I prefer to sit down with game at eye level hanging from one leg on a cord. Bucket underneath. I case skin them just like I did furbearers when I trapped. This is by no way the only way to clean one or the easiest or quickest way but it works for me and it is a clean method. The tools I use,

thumbnail_0918200931_HDR.1600457707.jpg
My wife's kershaw kitchen shears , fish skinners, gloves and an old made in USA buck knife. This was bought for my grandfather in the late 60's to early 70's for Christmas. When he passed my father got it, when he passed I got it. The handle grips have no knurling as it is wore slick. Blades have seen sharpening on oil stones. I keep the little drop point surgical sharp on a fine diamond hone then finished on a leather strop. So around the back feet and across from leg to leg an start peeling down all the way down and over the front legs the fish skinners are used at the start to grab the skin,

thumbnail_0918200938_HDR.1600458235.jpg
thumbnail_0918200939_HDR.1600458253.jpg

So how many of you know about the lymph glands on a squirrel and do you remove them? I then take off each front leg like I would quartering a deer. As I separate it from the body I use kitchen shears to cut off feet.

thumbnail_0918200942.1600458534.jpg
Here are the front leg lymph nodes under the knife blade just scrape them out, 

thumbnail_0918200942a.1600458633.jpg
Here is your carcass still hanging minus front legs,
thumbnail_0918200943_HDR.1600458694.jpg
Time to split pelvis. Easy on females and need to get creative on males. Use kitchen shears to split pelvis and knife it down to beginning of rib cage. I then cut off the belly flap sides from the carcass. It is more meat! Then pull the intestines down to rib cage and let them hang out. This will be the only time to touch them. 
thumbnail_0918200944_HDR.1600459053.jpg
 Now pinch the empty rib cage and run knife over the top of ribs to get the front part of the backstrap,
thumbnail_0918200946.1600459165.jpg

thumbnail_0918200946a.1600459408.jpg
Slip the tips of the kitchen shears in far enough to separate the spine at the rib intersection. Gently pull down and front backstraps will stay with the saddle/ rocking horse and back legs. Ribs and guts into bucket below,
thumbnail_0918200947_HDR.1600459382.jpg

Take off a back leg again just like talking off a hanging deer. So now to the back leg lymph nodes. looking at back of leg in narrow part poke knife tip in and make a small opening between muscle groups. There they are take them out,
thumbnail_0918200948.1600459632.jpg
thumbnail_0918200949.1600459680.jpg
Now cut off other leg and repeat with other leg. Shears again to cut off feet. The saddle will have the hip bones still attached. You can grab them and with a twist they will come off the sides. Cut the saddle end off with shears. Here is that pic with the lymph nodes below the knife blade,
thumbnail_0918200951.1600459888.jpg
 One last thing. Into the house for a rinse and dry of meat. I know some people insist you have to soak the meat? Why? I have a pet peeve about this. Meat is waterproof by the skin. It is not made to get wet. Why introduce water? How many of you soak your steak or pork chop before cooking? Other than brining there is no reason. Just a personal thought and to make you all think a bit. Do if you wish,

thumbnail_0918201032.1600460128.jpg
 There is a bunch of meat here. Not a pellet hole in any of it. just luck this time :) . These were all mature with only one male being last Spring born. I will add a couple more old ones from the freezer and let them cycle in the instant pot for a 20 minute pressure time. Than coat with seasoned flour and fry in a little peanut oil. Coat in hot wing sauce and eat with the sides like hot wings when we watch the KC Chiefs this Sunday! Hope I did not bore you all too much,

Marty

I skin them by starting with a cut around the neck and just work my way down. For this I have a couple of old Shrade knifes that I like to use. I've heard of the lymph glands but I was never exactly sure of where they were. I've looked at your photos so maybe next time I'll be able to remove them.

I understand that you don't like to soak the meat but what I've always done is after washing the squirrel meat off I soak the meat over night in a bowl of salt water in the refrigerator. I've been told that this kills bacteria. Then I wash it again.

Another thing that I've always done is field dress the game in the field right after I kill it. I do this because I like to get this chore done before the carcuss stiffins up. It's a lot easier to clean the animal when it is fresh.I also feel you get a better quality of meat by not waiting till I get home to clean it. If snow is on the ground I will pack the cleaned carcass with snow to keep it cool. If there's no snow I just hang them up in the shade until I head home.
1600478441049-1957463846.1600478486.jpg

I take my freshly killed squirrels, no more then 30 minutes, and make an incision just above the anus and below the tail. Then I twist the tail to break it at it's base. A slice down the back of each hind leg, then step on the tail and pull the squirrel up using the hind legs. If done properly, all the skin will come off to the head and front legs. Work your fingers under the skin in the front "armpit" and pull the skin off each front leg. Done.

Several good YouTube videos on this process.

Why remove lymph nodes?

Good question Goer,

I guess a personal choice for me. I do not eat them in any game we harvest. When deer are tested for chronic wasting disease it is done by testing lymph nodes. Lymph nodes act as a sieve to filter out  infectious material as well as toxins that come via the lymphatic channels.

Heck I know for a fact in my younger years before I learned things I ate many in game. Still alive and kicking. Proper cooking kills ad stuff but I figure why take the chance. 

A couple of things..Soaking meat like chicken or squirrel in buttermilk will tenderize it by way of the lactic acid in the buttermilk which is why you often see buttermilk fried chicken offered.

Also, a word of caution to all squirrel hunters is to make sure you clean them outside. Squirrels are notorious for having lots of fleas and if you bring that squirrel inside you are at serious risk of your pet getting fleas.