Classic break barrel spring rifles

Beautiful guns, thank you for sharing.
IMG_20190928_163441.1630246254.jpg

R10 and a 25 tube 97 that I have acquired over the years.

Well, I don't have any of those, but I do have a large collection of air rifles and pistols. As for vintage break barrels, Here's a couple. My Diana 24D .177 that still shoots well and is all original.

IMG_7691.1630356023.JPG

And my RWS 320M. I had to replace the leaky breech seal not too long ago. Also .177cal.

IMG_8641.1630356127.JPG

And a Chinese B3-2 with factory sling swivels in VGC. .177cal also.

IMG_0207.1630356330.JPG

I have several other break barrels, but they're of newer vintage. Like around 2016. Like my Hatsan striker 1000XS custom .22 springer that got a modded model 95 Turkish walnut stock. Darn accurate shooter, but hard on scope mounts until I shaved down one Hatsan scope mount to fit two of'em between the rings. Giving four bolts to stop movement finally. Easy to use and shoots great!

IMG_7170.1630356814.JPG

And it's original stock that now houses an Edge vortex .25 gas ram...

IMG_6829.1630356980.JPG

And my two Crosman limited edition GuideHawk NP's from 2016. I now have both the .177cal and .22cal versions...

.177cal;

IMG_8305.1630357113.JPG

.22cal;

IMG_8652.1630357171.JPG

No offense intended Leonard but "vintage" or even "classic" is not a "relative term". While you obviously consider them classics for being older, they aren't and it's not just older that makes a rifle fit the bill for either of the above terms. If you look at the rifles being posted, they didn't get to be considered vintage or classic just for being older rifles. The companies that made them, quality of build and materials, the almost cult like following air gunners have for them, guns that have stood the test of time and in a lot today still have their original parts because they were that well made. Of all the rifles you posted, only the Diana would be considered either.

The 320M while older is just a Chinese knockoff of the HW95 if memory serves. The Chinese are actually pretty good at it but still not classics.

Nothing made by Hatsan would be considered classic or vintage and Hatsan is for all intents the Turkish version of Crosman. Your Guidehawks, while older, aren't either. Chinese B3 anything have also never been considered either classic or vintage no matter how old they are.

Mike has an incredible collection of both classic and vintage guns and if you really want an education on them, read when he does post pics of that collection.

Man I love seeing springer collections and reading the history behind them. My buddies and I always knew when we were young that the “good rifles” were break barrels with wood stocks but our parents couldn’t afford them (or just wouldn’t pony up) back then. Now that I have rediscovered airgunning and my collection is growing again, these history lessons are helping me further understand the pedigree these fine rifles carry. Thanks for posting 

Reactions: DualMagMike
Beautiful rifle you have there, specie. 

Man I love seeing springer collections and reading the history behind them. My buddies and I always knew when we were young that the “good rifles” were break barrels with wood stocks but our parents couldn’t afford them (or just wouldn’t pony up) back then. Now that I have rediscovered airgunning and my collection is growing again, these history lessons are helping me further understand the pedigree these fine rifles carry. Thanks for posting

Same here, Moto. Don't know even remotely what I'd like to about the older guns, so when Mike posts, I read and always learn a few more things about them I didn't know. The man has an amazing collection and I very much appreciate when he shares it.

Some classic break barrels that have stood the test of time and have been enjoyed by so many shooters. My first break barrel was a Crosman 6100 (aka RWS 45) which I bought in about 1984. I really enjoyed its power, simplicity and accuracy it's one of the very few airguns I have parted with. After that I began looking at Beeman airguns and fell in love with the R1 and got my first in '85 or '86. Having the R1 as my only break barrel for many years I found my first Air Arms Pro Elite and things went on from there. Here are some of what I would call my classic break barrels. Of course there are more break barrels out there and even a number I did not include in this post but these are what comes to my mind when I say or hear about classic break barrel air rifles.

Beeman R1 a powerhouse in it's day it stil has quite a following, it's still highly regarded today. It came in as wide a variety of factory offered stocks, finishes, barrel lengths, calibers and even power levels e.g. Laser versions

(standard, FT, Tyro & Laser MKI)

View attachment 169486

View attachment 169492

View attachment 169500

View attachment 169505

R7 often referred to as a junior rifle but it is not, LOP is the same as an R1. Easy to shoot and super accurate they can be handled by most anyone.

View attachment 169510

R9 a true all around air rifle that many find has all they are looking for or need.

(.177 w/barrel sleeve, adjustable recoil pad & custom rosewood and brass pistol grip cap, .20, .22 w/sleeve)

View attachment 169515

R11 an R9 all dressed up and ready to go, developed with FT shooters in mind. The stock has grown a bit over the years but the main action remains the same for all after the MKI.

(v1, v3, v4)

View attachment 169526

Beeman RX series, HW's venture into the gas ram and the most potent break barrel they offer.

RX1 20 year commemorative)

View attachment 169535

RX2

View attachment 169542

HW55 a "barrel locking" break barrel which tried to squeeze as much accuracy as possible out the platform by having the barrel held in place by a lever.

View attachment 169552

HW35 the longest in production spring air rifle, it also uses a barrel "locking" mechanism but differs from the 55. It is spring loaded and resets itself when the barrel is closed

View attachment 169559

FWB 124 among the very first to garner the title "magnum" it pales in power to todays potent rifles but still loved by so many for its light weight, accuracy and handling.

124 S San Anselmo

View attachment 169567

124 D Jnc

View attachment 169575

FWB 127 not quite as popular as the 124 but still a great rifle if not considered a little underpowered by many.

127 S San Anselmo

View attachment 169580

127 D Jnc

View attachment 169583

Air Arms Pro Elite, the only break barrel AA ever made. An air rifle with heft, performance and scarcity with just a little over 1400 produced. The .177 & walnut version are very rare.

.177 walnut & .22 beech

View attachment 169590

Webley Patriot a legitimate monster even by todays break barrel standards making up to 30fpe.

View attachment 169593

Webley Tomahawk another strong performer in the 20-24fpe range that was easier to handle than Patriot.

View attachment 169597

Theoben Eliminator the original gas ram cannon making around 30fpe it still highly desirable and a beautifully crafted machine.

v1 & v4 .22

View attachment 169604

not quite a classic like the others but at the beginning of break barrels, the Markham Chicago model. Only produced from 1887-1910 these are the worlds first BB guns.

View attachment 169606

View attachment 169610

View attachment 169617

Just had to check these out again. Should come up automatically every month. Sweet collection. Crow

OK my first gun was a Beeman HW35EB (Export Beeman) at the time Beeman flew to Germany and hand picked the guns he was going to sell over here and Weihrauch went along because Robert Beeman did more to spawn interest in quality Airguns in America that anyone before him. I still have my first catalog from Beeman Precision Airguns in 1975 and that's how we learned about the good stuff.

My HW35EB has nicer wood and a better finish than my other HW35 E (Export) non Beeman) and a 16" bbl instead of the 35E's 19" bbl. I have the 35EB set up with a Beeman /Williams Aperture rear sight, and have the other gun with the stock open sight on it. I use both of these guns as my Iron Sight Practice Guns and I shoot both about 3 times a week.

I paid $189 for the first one in 1977, found the 35E in a junk store a few years ago and gave $60 for it . It needed a stock refinish as there was pink house pain on it, all the metal was perfect and both guns are 1 hole guns at 10 yards. Both guns were made in 1976 or 77.

s
100464621.JPG
100464619.JPG

This is my Beeman R1 .22 and this photo doesn't do justice to the wood which has Fiddleback everywhere.

100464627.JPG

this one shows the Fiddleback and Leupold Scope.

100464629.JPG

I also have an HW 77 .22 It was not a Beeman gun and has a plain Beechwood Stock. good shooter!

And recently acquired an Air Venturi Avenger .25 But it's not a Springer. It is twice as powerful as the R1 and is a Repeater and that's why I got it.

IMG_2318.JPG

In case you haven't figured it out yet,,, I am a Machinist Toolmaker by trade and this is my shop.

Last edited:
OK my first gun was a Beeman HW35EB (Export Beeman) at the time Beeman flew to Germany and hand picked the guns he was going to sell over here and Weihrauch went along because Robert Beeman did more to spawn interest in quality Airguns in America that anyone before him. I still have my first catalog from Beeman Precision Airguns in 1975 and that's how we learned about the good stuff.

My HW35EB has nicer wood and a better finish than my other HW35 E (Export) non Beeman) and a 16" bbl instead of the 35E's 19" bbl. I have the 35EB set up with a Beeman /Williams Aperture rear sight, and have the other gun with the stock open sight on it. I use both of these guns as my Iron Sight Practice Guns and I shoot both about 3 times a week.

I paid $189 for the first one in 1977, found the 35E in a junk store a few years ago and gave $60 for it . It needed a stock refinish as there was pink house pain on it, all the metal was perfect and both guns are 1 hole guns at 10 yards. Both guns were made in 1976 or 77.

In case you haven't figured it out yet,,, I am a Machinist Toolmaker by trade and this is my shop.
Welcome to AGN, WR! Beautiful springers, and nice shop as well!