CL Hawke Sidewinder clearance scope performance - I am not impressed

So I jumped on the Camera Land clearance special for the Hawke Sidewinder FFP 4-16x50 scope for $319. Normally $519. First thing I noticed is the scope came with a lot of crap that inflated the price. Not a good sign when opening. Means the scope probably isn't where the funds are being paid. 

Scope felt nice, as most scopes do out of the box. But god damn those turrets are terrible. The mushiest crap I have ever felt, so mushy that the turret moves to the next line and past a little bit before clicking over (wow that's awful). The locks for the turrets are also terrible. The glass is just ok and the eye box does this weird thing when the magnification goes up, just the top of the eye box gets darker and it goes to a more crescent shape instead of round. My crimson trace series 2 for 299.99 is 10 times the scope, much better. I would have to say I pretty much hate this scope. Don't buy this particular scope. The SKU is 1740.

Curious does anyone have this particular scope where the turrets are not total crap and the eye box actually performs at 12 and above magnification? I would not buy this scope for even $200. I thought I was getting a deal...

I ordered a Hawke Frontier also, god I hope for the $800 it cost me that it's 100 times better this crap scope.

Like you I picked up on a Sidewinder although an 8.5x25x42 for $299 instead of $500 and was sorely disappointed in the turrets. Mushy and very hard to turn. So, I spent a few minutes cranking on them from stop to stop and when I was done they showed a vast improvement. Still not the best out there but much better than they were, when I started, anyway. 

Not really a fan of the Hawke Mil, MOA thing Hawke has going on but for the price I figured I could probly live with it.

The glass is OK and I find the reticle, in this second focal plain scope, to be about right in thickness and halfway easy to pick up but it doesn't get lost in the shadows too easy. I would not pay $500 for one but I feel it is worth the $300 anyway. 

I had a sidewinder and the turrets were terrible. I sent it back under warranty and they sent it back the same. Couldn't get it to zero. Sitting here looking at my paperweight. Was not pleased and if they send back the same scope without fixing it and saying it's good they lost me forever. 
Now that's my experience and I'm sure others have had great experiences with them but as for my money and me, we have moved on...

Yeah after thinking on it, I am out of the Hawke Sidewinder game. Not worth keeping, turrets are just too poor performing. I am sending the unopened one back to CL. Ordered the Element Helix and it's 2oz lighter anyway and I know it will be usable. I will take my Crimson Trace series 2 and place that on my Huben instead of the sidewinder. Take the opened one I can't return to CL and put it in the closet and I will take the fight to Hawke to see if they will make it right.

Hawke is an extremely popular scope brand based on price vs. specs. I think with time more people will realize quality internals cost money, and that particular money is still in their pocket.

For the money, a $100 Hawke is $50 better than a $35 eBay bargain and has a warranty. Anything beyond that is money that could be spent on a better scope. A $500 Hawke is worth it from the standpoint it's $100 less than a $600 scope that will outperform it with lesser specs--Hawke wins in specs but the $600 scope is the smarter investment. 

Reactions: CyberDyneSystems
Hawke is an extremely popular scope brand based on price vs. specs. I think with time more people will realize quality internals cost money, and that particular money is still in their pocket.

For the money, a $100 Hawke is $50 better than a $35 eBay bargain and has a warranty. Anything beyond that is money that could be spent on a better scope. A $500 Hawke is worth it from the standpoint it's $100 less than a $600 scope that will outperform it with lesser specs--Hawke wins in specs but the $600 scope is the smarter investment.

I agree with your point completely, but I do believe if camera land is selling this scope normally at $519 it should preform like a $500 scope however. That is my frustration. It should at least be on par with the Element Helix. Even at $319 it's still just "ok", probably what the price it should be normally, but my expectation was that I was buying a $500 scope at a clearance price. An example of this is the $299 crimson trace series 2 I got on clearance. Also a $500-ish scope, but the quality in glass and turrets and has the same specs for the most part is 10 times the scope than this sidewinder imho. Maybe I got spoiled with this deal? Who knows, but I am not out of the Hawke game, I am trying the Frontier FFP. Supposed to be their flag ship and it better be at $800. If this scope isn't the quality of at least the Titan or Optika6 or a Viper PST, I will never buy another Hawke product. I jumped in to Hawke Frontiers because of the 22oz weights on their 3-15 and 4-20 FFP models. If the Frontier knocks it out of the park, I will be happy. 

I bought a Hawke scope to install on my Cricket. Can't stand that scope. Glass is not good. UGH.

Well I got the Hawke Frontier 3-15x50 FFP today. It was $780 at camera land. I can say my initial impression is this is a vast improvement over the sidewinder in turrets and glass quality. However, it is still not as good as the Optika6 or the Viper PST Gen2 and it was $100 more, but it is 6-8oz lighter, which is significant in this magnification range. I would say this scope is about the same quality of the Crimson Trace Series 2, but with zero stop. This scope really is a $500 scope that one could compare to a Helix at 26oz. The ONLY thing this scope is good at over those others is the weight at 22oz. I think this scope will at least be useable compared to the sidewinder. Still not great and not worth $800. Feel a little ripped off actually.

I hate camera land's return policy and the cost to return, so I am going to stick it out and see how it fairs for a few months. I am going to place it on my Cricket 2 because I am trying to keep the weight as low as possible, skeleton stock, eagle rings, 22oz scope, you know the basics for off hand shooting.

I too bit on the Sidewinder clearance sale, and was not super impressed. It feels like a really dated scope. For better or worse, the first time I turned the magnification wheel, before even mounting the scope, there was a hissing sound as gas leaked from the scope, and the view in the scope from the 9 o'clock to 1'o'clock position became obscured on anything less than 8x magnification. Camerland advised me that the best resolution would come from sending it back to Hawke, so I am waiting to determine how they will handle it when the receive it beginning of next week. Hopefully a deal can be made to distance myself from that hot mess.

I will add I have a newer model sidewinder, (Model 17450) and it is much better than the prior generation that Camerland is blowing out. I purchased the updated Sidewinder at Camerlands last major sale, so I didn't pay full retail. It's lighter, the turrets are better, and the glass is better than the blowout specials. I do think the Helix is a better buy, but I don't like the 6-24 range (too much magnification, I like a low of 3 or 4) and I actually use and like an illuminated reticle. I have been running the updated Sidewinder on a Maverick Sniper in .25, and the turrets have been repeatable, although not as tight as the less expensive Helix.

I have a Frontier inbound as well, and I am hopeful that it will work well, although your review is less than inspiring. In the $800 dollar price range for scopes, there's some good choices, and they all involve some level of compromise. I have a Titan, and the glass and turrets are phenomenal, as is the illuminated reticle. But the thing is an absolute tank, and I just can't live with the 38 oz weight penalty for an air gun I am walking around with. It sounds like the Frontier is going to sacrifice in glass and turret quality, but there's a full pound of weight savings, which is worth it to me, as long as the turrets are repeatable. The reviews I have seen and read all state the Frontier has very repeatable turrets, so I am optimistic.

After looking through and handling a Hawke before I never even considered them after that. Having been spoiled by the turrets on Arken and newer Athlons, I can't go back to anything with turrets that aren't super crisp. Theres more to scopes than just glass. Glass is important but also the controls and the turrets are just as important to me. Athlon seems to be one of the best bang for the buck companies out there so I stick with them. Arken also. 

Element also comes to mind but like to see Element with some different models. Something in the 3-12 or 3-15 range, 44mm objective and FFP. Or a fixed 8 or 10 power scope.

I know there are some diehard Hawke fans out there but in my experience there's definitely better for the money out there.

After looking through and handling a Hawke before I never even considered them after that. Having been spoiled by the turrets on Arken and newer Athlons, I can't go back to anything with turrets that aren't super crisp. Theres more to scopes than just glass. Glass is important but also the controls and the turrets are just as important to me. Athlon seems to be one of the best bang for the buck companies out there so I stick with them. Arken also. 

Element also comes to mind but like to see Element with some different models. Something in the 3-12 or 3-15 range, 44mm objective and FFP. Or a fixed 8 or 10 power scope.

I know there are some diehard Hawke fans out there but in my experience there's definitely better for the money out there.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I have two Hawke Frontiers and a Sidewinder. The difference in glass is marginal at best (because overall it’s good) but the turrets are a whole other topic. World of difference. Granted so is the price. Riton, Element, Arken, Athlon, Meopta, USO and even Primary Arms and Discovery give you turrets that are tactile and crisp for the Sidewinder price. I think Hawke missed the boat on this mid level scope opportunity for consumers because their Frontier series at 22oz is a really great scope. The 4-20 Frontier FFP is magic on a 30 cal Impact imho.

I know a few guys that have VT-3 3-12 FFP scopes and it’s the nicest scope they have ever gotten to use. Guess it comes down to exposure and opportunity in some ways. Eye of the beholder

I bought a 17410 4x16 FFP 3 or 4 years ago. Really good thing I had used Buris Z rings before or I never would have gotten it sighted in. I learned to dislike both the Hawkes and FFP scopes. Being as I only shoot at 11 yards these days, I don’t have a need for either. However it is on the only airgun I can actually sight it in on, my 25 Kratos, forget about trying to sight it in on a Bullpup, you just don’t have the adjustment.

Hawke discontinued that model after a few years, would have been better stillborn. 

I did buy another scope this week, a Meopta Optik5 4x20x50 Z-plus RD reticle, it has the illuminated 3 moa red dot. I bought the only one PA had. Googling the model to see if anyone had one in stock today has gives me the idea they are unavailable right now. This Meopta is a master piece compared to that 17410 Hawke.

The workmanship is in another league compared to the 17410, the clarity is far beyond what I can utilize. 

Regards,

Roachcreek