• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Chronos again

I am just about ready to purchase a chronograph. A lot of the problems with different chronographs seems to be light related. I haven't seem any suggestions of using a diffuser cover from a flourscent light fixture such as used in an office setting. Does any one use an old diffuser cover to help condition bad lighting situations? I realize a diffuser would have to be cut down to length. Would it help or is this another one of my dumb ideas? Thanks

I've got a shooting chrony F-1. It is sensitive to it's light source. If the light isn't right you get a lot of errors. Yesterday 10.31.15 it was a overcast day, at midday knowing i had perfect light i got set up and i shot over 100 rounds with out a single error.
I hear the IR LED light kits work great. I'm still researching the best solution for me. Most esp. With the end of daylight savings time

When my Chrony F1 diffuser strips broke up I simply cut appropriate strips from an opaque plastic milk bottle. Works perfectly and they last; punch the holes so there is a touch of tension when installed.
The chrony doesn't require diffusers on a cloudy day but they are necessary when the sky is blue and clear.

Don't have one in shade and the other not. Don't have sun or lights shining directly into one or both light slits. Best to have the slits both shaded by the diffusers when they are used.
......... Kind regards, Harry.

Sprocket:

You have received good advice...I would only add that if you get into a situation where your Chrony gives you constant errors derived from improper lighting conditions, to either get or make some Led Illuminated diffusers...

I live in an area where the lighting conditions are terrible starting on late October and until around early March (Too gray, cloudy, low light, snowy, etc.) and this situation was a constant "error" problem...So what I did was to use miniature photography led lamps that have a diffuser of their own and are cheap & battery operated...Mine have adjustable light intensity but I operate them successfully at the minimum level and I haven't changed batteries in 2 years.

When I added these Led lamps I replaced my diffusers with new ones made out out of SS Strip that are merely diffuser supports...The lamps go attached with industrial velcro underneath these supports and I use this setup every time whether there is enough light or not...It works Indoors, outdoors, with and without sun, snow, cloudy days, night, etc..

Bottomline: All of my illuminating problems went away and I haven't seen an error after the switch. 

Best regards,

AZ

ajshootsMy shop is also all CFL and using the IR screens from Competition Electronics have provided me with 100% reliable readings. Not one single error in over 10,000 pellets since switching to the IR screens and a ProChrono. Whether you make your own or buy them, proper lighting is the key!!

Totally agree with AJ. I purchased the IR screens and it is flawless. I shoot in a basement that the only light source is at target and very little light a chrono I sometimes even turn the light a the chrono off due to glare in scope, but with the IR screens still no errors.