Chronograph, what’s your opinion?

Crow you’ll love the Garmin. Only played with mine a little but it’s definitely a game changer. If you enter the pellet weight it’ll give you the foot pounds on top of average, SD and ES. Make sure to download the app to your phone as well
View attachment 422788View attachment 422789View attachment 422790View attachment 422791View attachment 422792View attachment 422793
Another 5 minutes I’m going to ask you to stop talking!
Thanks that’s what I needed to hear. I’ve only heard positive about the Zero.
I looked up here in Canada for curiosity sake, used crony’s. Probably 10 Labs up for sale. That has to say something. Crow

Another 5 minutes I’m going to ask you to stop talking!
Thanks that’s what I needed to hear. I’ve only heard positive about the Zero.
I looked up here in Canada for curiosity sake, used crony’s. Probably 10 Labs up for sale. That has to say something. Crow
Game changer..lol.

Ho
My next one will be the Garmin for sure, just set it on the shooting bench and have at it. I have a older shooting chrony now that I've rigged with lights and only use it in the garage and it works pretty good. But I want one I can take to the PB range and not have to set up a bunch of crap, just set it beside me and go. It's way cheaper than the FX and the lab radar (orange one) is way more set up, way bigger, and lot of errors, or so I read.
The garmin is really small and compact and no set up

My next one will be the Garmin for sure, just set it on the shooting bench and have at it. I have a older shooting chrony now that I've rigged with lights and only use it in the garage and it works pretty good. But I want one I can take to the PB range and not have to set up a bunch of crap, just set it beside me and go. It's way cheaper than the FX and the lab radar (orange one) is way more set up, way bigger, and lot of errors, or so I read.
The garmin is really small and compact and no set up.
600$? Lot of change. Do you use yours that often?

Reactions: crowski
Sorry for sounding ignorant here but is there really that big of a difference in ballistic chronos? I use a cheap one from Amazon like 50$. I have to be in the shade for it to work and it takes a little tinkering sometimes but seems to give me accurate numbers. Are the higher end chronos that much better?

(If it wasn't clear - full disclaimer I make Chronographs)
A chronograph is both a simple & tricky thing to make work reliably.

If you want velocity at a distance or use with powder burners - then its gotta be a shoot through style or radar. Otherwise burnt powder on the sensors & false reads from propellant. That will then mean you have to control the environment to make it work reliably, i.e. use it in specific locations and/or at specific times (clouds, sun)

If you want muzzle velocity - then an attached Chrony that has enclosed sensors is the right solution. If the sensors are open/exposed, then put it in a box.

Batteries, apps - yeah that's a great way to lock customers in, grab their data & make them reliant upon you.
I do neither - mine is USB powered & just serves a webpage.

The answer is maybe - the cheap ones can DEFINITELY perform as good as the expensive ones. The one I make (retail ~$100) over 12 shots was 1.1fps different to a $1,600 Labradar...

The differences will be what I say above, but also potentially quality. They "can" be as good - but without good QC there may be a few or a lot of bad ones.

From what i've read & experienced, generally you'll be OK with the cheaper ones, they just dont have the features & may be niggly to get working well every shot. (which also happens on the Radars!)

Ho

I have an older shooting chrony that's a hassle to set up, it has lights mounted on the sky screens
so I need a drop cord as well.
I use it fairly often for tuning and checking my springers FPS, also testing pellet weights.
So yes compared to this the Garmin is a game changer, small compact and just sit it beside the muzzle and done.

Sorry for sounding ignorant here but is there really that big of a difference in ballistic chronos? I use a cheap one from Amazon like 50$. I have to be in the shade for it to work and it takes a little tinkering sometimes but seems to give me accurate numbers. Are the higher end chronos that much better?
Yes they are that much better especially when compared to a sky chrono. The Garmin so far for me has been 100% on recording every shot no matter if outside or in my barn with no lights on.

Yes I’ll use mine quite a bit but I shoot Rimfire and centerfire matches. With the Garmin I’ll use it for every shot other than ones fired during matches.
The answer is maybe - the cheap ones can DEFINITELY perform as good as the expensive ones. The one I make (retail ~$100) over 12 shots was 1.1fps different to a $1,600 Labradar...
The Labradar is about $600-$630 not $1600.

I have an older shooting chrony that's a hassle to set up, it has lights mounted on the sky screens
so I need a drop cord as well.
I use it fairly often for tuning and checking my springers FPS, also testing pellet weights.
So yes compared to this the Garmin is a game changer, small compact and just sit it beside the muzzle and done.
I’m in same boat. I didn’t like assembling mine every time, so I left set up in gun room, was always in way. Bump into it and it falls apart. Even carrying up to range it fell apart and I have an elevator, which I can transport 8 rifles up at a time, easily and safely.
The Caldwell on Tri-pod after testing a few guns, very hard on the back. And a waste of lead. Looks like the Garmin can be set by rest and I’ll get a reading while I plink. 👍
I’ve had them work 80% of the time as well as 50% which is a nightmare. I have a roof over head. Which I think is part of my problem.
Presently I have approx. 15 springs to change.
Garmin looks like it will fit needs. Crow

Reactions: bustachip
I’m in same boat. I didn’t like assembling mine every time, so I left set up in gun room, was always in way. Bump into it and it falls apart. Even carrying up to range it fell apart and I have an elevator, which I can transport 8 rifles up at a time, easily and safely.
The Caldwell on Tri-pod after testing a few guns, very hard on the back. And a waste of lead. Looks like the Garmin can be set by rest and I’ll get a reading while I plink. 👍
I’ve had them work 80% of the time as well as 50% which is a nightmare. I have a roof over head. Which I think is part of my problem.
Presently I have approx. 15 springs to change.
Garmin looks like it will fit needs. Crow
Same here, mine would only work outside if the lighting was perfect. I rigged permanent lights on top of the sky screens and only use it inside the garage with the over head fluorescent lights turned off, then it will work pretty consistent. I leave it put together and it's awkward to move, then have to set it up on a camera tripod and adjust every thing, and plug in the sky screen lights..lol. Does it work, yes, is it quick and convenient, no. And not an option if I want to take it to the PB range to check center fire rounds.

How do you know it is accurate ?? Did some tests many years back and found that lighting can make a big difference on velocity readings as well as height over screens and distance to the crono. Have had my Pro Chrono for well over 30 years, used daily when I had my tuning business. Built a plywood stand about 40" long with a trap at the back. Built a riser on the front that xenters the gun barrel and maintains the same height over the screens. Also has it's own light system. Set it up at the 95 world championship match, along with numerous other chrono setups. Some were in sunlite, some shade, some with different lighting systems. We moved them around to change the lights, sunny or cloudy, raised and lowered the gun barrels etc and we all watched the velocities change, some drastically !! My setup never changed and would always record the proper numbers. Point here is...moving a chrono around changing lights and barrel angle and distances above can all affect your numbers, could be as much as 30 plus fps. Fix your setup so everything stays the same even if you switch guns, distances and lighting...makes a big difference !!

How do you know it is accurate ?? Did some tests many years back and found that lighting can make a big difference on velocity readings as well as height over screens and distance to the crono. Have had my Pro Chrono for well over 30 years, used daily when I had my tuning business. Built a plywood stand about 40" long with a trap at the back. Built a riser on the front that xenters the gun barrel and maintains the same height over the screens. Also has its own light system. Set it up at the 95 world championship match, along with numerous other chrono setups. Some were in sunlite, some shade, some with different lighting systems. We moved them around to change the lights, sunny or cloudy, raised and lowered the gun barrels etc and we all watched the velocities change, some drastically !! My setup never changed and would always record the proper numbers. Point here is...moving a chrono around changing lights and barrel angle and distances above can all affect your numbers, could be as much as 30 plus fps. Fix your setup so everything stays the same even if you switch guns, distances and lighting...makes a big difference !!
Thanks for your solid advice. Makes sense to consistently keep the crony in same position. I may make a jig or mark the table to keep it the same. Crow

I just looked up the Oehlers. I’m sure of it’s accuracy, but for me too much setup.
I’ve checked out both FX and the Garmin on u-tube. I like the size of Garmin. I think the FX is a notch above with 2 radars vs. 1. Also more data avalible. They both shot within 3-4 fps. of each other.
Crow
I just looked up the Oehlers. I’m sure of it’s accuracy, but for me too much setup.
I’ve checked out both FX and the Garmin on u-tube. I like the size of Garmin. I think the FX is a notch above with 2 radars vs. 1. Also more data avalible. They both shot within 3-4 fps. of each other.
Crow
Game changer, baby.🤩

Well I checked out the two crony’s on u-tube.
Today I drove by AGS and got sucked into the shop. Wasn’t able to leave without this.
IMG_7708.jpeg
This crony is looking sweet. Almost too easy to use. The carry case keeps it simple and clean. Hopefully I can play with it tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your advice. Crow

Reactions: bustachip
Well I checked out the two crony’s on u-tube.
Today I drove by AGS and got sucked into the shop. Wasn’t able to leave without this.View attachment 424072This crony is looking sweet. Almost too easy to use. The carry case keeps it simple and clean. Hopefully I can play with it tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your advice. Crow
Sweet man. I hope it works great for you, be sure and tell us all about it.