• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Chronograph, what’s your opinion?

You must be one of the very trusting people that believe there's no nefarious activity done with various apps and software. Besides you can run the lab radar without a Bluetooth connection to a phone so how the hell does it know where you in. So since it doesn't have a limitation when you're not using it with Bluetooth why have the requirement that the phone have location turned on. By the way modern phones have various methods to locate U besides GPS and cell phone towers. They also use Wi-Fi hotspots they know the location of most hot spots around the world. Also use the location of other cell phones nearby your phone that may pick up their Wi-Fi signal or NFC signals from and therefore locate you that way. I make no assumptions that companies don't sell data to make more income. Do you know that most garbage trucks in the United States have variety of camera scanning 360° on the road while they're driving down the street collecting garbage. And this data is sold to local law enforcement as the mechanism to find stolen cars and cars belonging to people without standing warrants etc. It started as an innocent system whereby they were trying to reduce false claims of accidents against garbage companies but they soon found out that since we're collecting data we can get more money from selling it.

My next one will be the Garmin for sure, just set it on the shooting bench and have at it. I have a older shooting chrony now that I've rigged with lights and only use it in the garage and it works pretty good. But I want one I can take to the PB range and not have to set up a bunch of crap, just set it beside me and go. It's way cheaper than the FX and the lab radar (orange one) is way more set up, way bigger, and lot of errors, or so I read.
The garmin is really small and compact and no set up.

Reactions: crowski
You must be one of the very trusting people that believe there's no nefarious activity done with various apps and software. Besides you can run the lab radar without a Bluetooth connection to a phone so how the hell does it know where you in. So since it doesn't have a limitation when you're not using it with Bluetooth why have the requirement that the phone have location turned on. By the way modern phones have various methods to locate U besides GPS and cell phone towers. They also use Wi-Fi hotspots they know the location of most hot spots around the world. Also use the location of other cell phones nearby your phone that may pick up their Wi-Fi signal or NFC signals from and therefore locate you that way. I make no assumptions that companies don't sell data to make more income. Do you know that most garbage trucks in the United States have variety of camera scanning 360° on the road while they're driving down the street collecting garbage. And this data is sold to local law enforcement as the mechanism to find stolen cars and cars belonging to people without standing warrants etc. It started as an innocent system whereby they were trying to reduce false claims of accidents against garbage companies but they soon found out that since we're collecting data we can get more money from selling it.
I'm guessing you are replying to me, not sure. What part of me turning the old phone into a virtual dumb brick did you not understand. Their is no gps operable on the phone at all, I killed it, along with wi-fi and just about everything else. The labradar app, and I use a older version, asks to turn on location and I ok it, but it won't work because there is no location service on the phone, the version of software I have doesn't understand location services is not even on the phone, it is happy sending the command to turn it on but it's not there so can't be turned on. the phone can only give the 2g tower id/loc from the 911 radio and nothing more.

BTW, I killed location services on my real phone that I use, along with a lot of other google crap in android, really pisses off customer service of my carrier, there have been times they thought I was in another state, not until they pull up the tower connection do they get within a couple miles of me. Nothing they can do since the phone is my property, I bought a factory phone, not one from a carrier so no bloatware and no carrier specific crap on it and I can delete anything I want to turning on developer options and using ADB. Older versions you could actually remove "protected" software, newer stuff last few years it is in protected memory and only flips a bit telling the operating system it isn't there, has the same affect as actually removing it since the OS can't talk to it anymore. Unfortunately can't root most of the newer ones any longer.

Karl you clearly have an excellent handle and data security. My quibble was only with your statement

"Actually not true, the location data is for the power level of the unit, it can be higher in the United States than in most other countries by law. Most countries do not have the choice of setting the power level of the labradar."

This isn't always the case because you can use Labradar without any bluetooth connection to a phone, thus there isn't a requirement for location to set power in those cases. So why have it when a phone is connected? It gives the company an opportunity to collect personal information! There also may be freq. restrictions as well depending on location.

Interesting discussion around the privacy...
The level of tech required to operate a device in privacy like this is concerning (ref Karl) - and i'd say beyond the average punter. This isnt good - a "secure/safe by default" & "opt-in" model should be getting implemented.

Anyone read the privacy notice of the Mobile app? https://mylabradar.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Privacy-Policy_Labradar_2021-12-21.pdf
Usage Data may include information such as Your Device's Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that You visit, the time and date of Your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data. When You access the Service by or through a mobile device, We may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to, the type of mobile device You use, Your mobile device unique ID, the IP address of Your mobile device, Your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser You use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data. We may also collect information that Your browser sends whenever You visit our Service or when You access the Service by or through a mobile device.

We may share Your personal information in the following situations:
- With Service Providers:
- With Affiliates
- With business partners: We may share Your information with Our business partners to offer You certain products, services or promotions.

The other question is then - it may not need permissions/access to operate, but if they are available - what does it do with them!?!?!

Reactions: Coxworkshop
I have always had P.A.C.T. Chronographs.
I had a nice Shooting Chrony that I gave away to a shooter on the GTA.
Oehler chronographs were the industry standard for years.
If I did not have the P.A.C.T chronies I would get the FX or GARMIN.
Why?
Getting lazy; because there is setup time with chronies that use skyscreens.

I have always had P.A.C.T. Chronographs.
I had a nice Shooting Chrony that I gave away to a shooter on the GTA.
Oehler chronographs were the industry standard for years.
If I did not have the P.A.C.T chronies I would get the FX or GARMIN.
Why?
Getting lazy; because there is setup time with chronies that use skyscreens.
FX=$1000+
Garmin=$600+
Garmin is smaller.

my caldwell and a friends labradar averaged about the same readings per shot at 30yrds, there too close to be about the same....... but i can get readings from my shot and not any other person shooting with me at my range. He cant tell the difference if its him or me on his machine.......
I'm good (y)

I’ve been tuning a few rifles and have approx. 15 spring sets to install now. I’m not satisfied with my crony. I’m using the Caldwell. The FX was not working for me. I would like to get a good quality chronograph. I heard mention of a Garmin Zero and I’ve seen an orange one that looked serious. I don’t want one that’s complicated but simple to use and accurate.
I would really appreciate some suggestions.
‘Crow
I have the Garmin xero....so simple to use...locate 5-15 in the right/left of rifle and 5-15" rear of muzzle...always works...IMHO, has made other chrono's obsolete

I have the Garmin xero....so simple to use...locate 5-15 in the right/left of rifle and 5-15" rear of muzzle...always works...IMHO, has made other chrono's obsolete
When I did use the three cronies that I had, I was just standing in front of the tripod and just wasting shots to get a reading. Sounds like you can set the Garmin near your rest. And make every shot count on targets plus get a reading.
Sometimes my back got sore from standing for so long. I might crony 10 rifles which takes time.
The Zero and FX must be relatively new.
‘Is the FX better than the Garmin?
Crow

When I did use the three cronies that I had, I was just standing in front of the tripod and just wasting shots to get a reading. Sounds like you can set the Garmin near your rest. And make every shot count on targets plus get a reading.
Sometimes my back got sore from standing for so long. I might crony 10 rifles which takes time.
The Zero and FX must be relatively new.
‘Is the FX better than the Garmin?
Crow
I don't know anytning about the FX...sorry

Again thanks guys. I ordered a Garmin. 🤞Crow
Crow you’ll love the Garmin. Only played with mine a little but it’s definitely a game changer. If you enter the pellet weight it’ll give you the foot pounds on top of average, SD and ES. Make sure to download the app to your phone as well
IMG_5378.jpeg
IMG_5392.jpeg
IMG_5394.jpeg
IMG_5396.png
IMG_5398.png
IMG_5399.jpeg