• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Chronograph Choices

BDX

Sep 4, 2018
CA
I have a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph (538002-SSI) and its companion Blue tooth interface. Not used much in the past but they will be in the next week or so...I'm thinking about a second but the newer model with built in Bluetooth.

Im looking at a Labrador. I know there's about a 400$ differences but then I'm an Air Gun Ho so the terms "need" and "want' are frequently interchangeable...it is a pretty steep increase...but then I went from a $200 scope budget to a SWFA scope with a few more $$$ in front...If I can gain more information and grater flexibility I'd consider it worth while.

Thoughts?

Man that Labrador looks like it could be the least fussy and trouble free chrony money can buy.

Best thing is that it is not light sensitive and measures muzzle velocity and end speed at your target.

It is like setting up 2 separate chronys one at the muzzle and one at the target, how neat is that?

Let everyone know how awesome it is after you buy one. I think it is the best one to buy for airguns.

You don't need to worry about shooting it by accident unless you try to shoot it on purpose.

My "chrony" chrony seems to be temperamental and wouldn't mind exploring the Labradar possibility.

Don't need to be sure to aim over the sensors or depend on light fixture but only thing to consider is that it is triggered by sould so it wouldn't be good to use it at a gun range while powderburners shoot their guns.

I would think the next best would be the cheaper magneto speed but worry about shooting the sensor and 

hinder accuracy since you have to mount it onto your barrel to use it and may not reliably read pellet speed unless you get the higher priced one but still need to mount it to your barrel.

Steve at AEAC uses a Labrador when making his newest video reviews and seems as though he likes it.

CA

I've got both versions of the Magneto Speed, the cheaper "sporter" and the V3 or whatever they call it. The cheaper one is junk, the other works well, but can be a hassle adjusting to fit the barrel, or moderator, where I can see the Labrador would be ready to use with any setup, no muss or fuss. BUT it will put a dent in your wallet.

I did try the add a couple of magnets to the Magneto Sporter model, and it does help, but I seldom use either model lately.

I also have 2 other chrony's, the old style, light sensitive, etc. etc. One still new in a un opened box, with light kit etc, Gathering dust.

I'll have to let you know. Mine should be here this Thursday 10-25-18. I was looking at getting a Chrono to understand what is going on with my two rifles (I'm new to Airguns). Seems after reading this forum and Youtube videos, you can't know what is going on with your rifle without one. I looked at all the others read reviews, looked at what shops were using and price. The top of the line one including software was going to be several hundred dollars with the Blue Tooth, so I just stepped up another couple hundred bucks. This way I can use it for the rest of my life (which may be shorter when the wife ask how much I'm spending on everything 🙀 ).

If anyone is in the SoCal area and would like to get together after I get it and use it for a day or so wouldn't be that big a deal.

Smitty

Man, I have to agree the flexibility and additional information one can obtain from a Labradar make it a tempting purchase. Not only muzzle velocity but several velocities can be collected at preset distances down range on the same shot, including a final at target 🎯. It’s very tempting indeed. 

I just ran across a full test of an Air Arms TX200 Mk3 by AEAC (Steve?) which features a Labradar in the test including several of it’s readouts. Impressive but I have to consider how often would I use this, what would I really use it for...well it could be a lot, but then I may find that the existing ballistics information on any number of pellets may be just fine in Strelok or another ballistics software. I doubt I’ll be getting into the business of running full tests on air guns, but it’s sure a great piece of instrumentation. Wonder how many of the accessories I’d have to buy to test suppressed air guns? Apparently they can have issues picking up on a suppressed shot.

Geo

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/aeac-video-from-aeac-vlog-on-the-air-arms-tx200-mk3-177/

My next chrony will be a LabRadar. Buy it once and be done. I got lucky buying a refurbished Beta Chrony for $80. It still works after being shot a couple times but is fussy in the sun sometimes, even with the shades and requires extra lights in the shade. The LabRadar has proven itself to work well even down to .177 with air rifles so it's only a matter of time until I own one.

Reactions: BDX
My Chrony blue one with the remote is giving up after too many years. So I ordered a new one from Amazon

Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph

$80 delivered and has a re mote feature for the smart phone.

Nice Len! You'll have to message me as to how well it works for you once it's set up. I did learn today that if the sun casts a shadow of one of the shade poles and the shadow just happens to fall falls over the detector window, you can pull the trigger and send lead downrange all you want; the little lady in my phone still wont say a thing, and the display will still read ERR...finally saw the shadow cast perfectly parallel and 💡!!! Yeah I like learning hardware the hardway...