• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Chosen my Gun but what Caliber ! ?

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some words of wisdom please. 

I Have been torn between guns and i have decided i am going to go down the route of an FX Wildcat over the Cricket, mainly down to the placement of the cocking action, and i prefer the look of the FX. 

I am now having a really hard time deciding if i should go with .22 or .25. I'm only just getting back into the sport after many years out and no longer have any permissions or my FAC ticket (that was an open, what a fool i was not to renew). SO, sub 12 it is for now, i know the wildcats can be easily made to FAC so im torn between sub 12 Cal. 

.22 i guess is going to be the better choice for Sub 12 and .25 being favored for FAC - right? ill be mainly using them for rabbiting (if i can find myself some permissions) and a bit of target work at the local club (suppose i have to jump this hoop for my FAC) so with that in mind and the chances of FAC coming this side of Autumn being bleak what should i do for the now.

Buy .25 sub 12 with the plan on my RFD FACing it up and adding to my .25 slot. 
Buy .22 Sub 12 - i suppose i could always go FAC with .22 to but sacrifice the hitting power and extra range of the .25 
Buy .22 Sub 12 and IF and WHEN i get FAC look to buy a used .25? 

Thanks all. 

PS, obviously i am open to other opinions and views.

What would I do if I where you, I am not so this may not apply.

first option

wait until you get your FAC. Patience is a virtue.

second 

talk to your RFD about a sale and return deal on a second hand 12ftlb PCP, on the promise you will buy a new .25 FAC through them.

as I understand it to convert a Wildcat from 12ftlb to FAC will cost you a few Hundred Quid, better ways to invest.

good luck

FWIW, I think it would be a complete waste to have a .25 at sub-12 while waiting on a potential FAC. Realistically, you would be limited to about 450fps with the lighter JSBs at 25.4gn, and the trajectories are just terrible at that point. You could take a chance on the lighter H&Ns at 20gn, but even that would only get you to right about 500fps, and your gun may not even like those pellets.

I would go with the .22 in sub-12, and then take it from there. As Rodeo said, buy a used one, and then you can always sell it for about the same price if you want to upgrade to a .25 if/when you get the FAC.

Just my thoughts.

No way I'd do a .25 in sub-12 fpe. The speed will be very slow,

A 14.3 grain .22 caliber will travel at 600 fps where a 25 grain .25 will travel at about 450 fps. accuracy will probably stink at the lower velocity.

An 8 grain .177 will do about 800fps. Should be pretty accurate as well.

I think the others are right. Patience is a virtue. Recommend either the .22 and shoot fairly light pellets, or just wait for the FAC. Tough choice.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some words of wisdom please. 

I Have been torn between guns and i have decided i am going to go down the route of an FX Wildcat over the Cricket, mainly down to the placement of the cocking action, and i prefer the look of the FX. 

I am now having a really hard time deciding if i should go with .22 or .25. I'm only just getting back into the sport after many years out and no longer have any permissions or my FAC ticket (that was an open, what a fool i was not to renew). SO, sub 12 it is for now, i know the wildcats can be easily made to FAC so im torn between sub 12 Cal. 

.22 i guess is going to be the better choice for Sub 12 and .25 being favored for FAC - right? ill be mainly using them for rabbiting (if i can find myself some permissions) and a bit of target work at the local club (suppose i have to jump this hoop for my FAC) so with that in mind and the chances of FAC coming this side of Autumn being bleak what should i do for the now.

Buy .25 sub 12 with the plan on my RFD FACing it up and adding to my .25 slot. 
Buy .22 Sub 12 - i suppose i could always go FAC with .22 to but sacrifice the hitting power and extra range of the .25 
Buy .22 Sub 12 and IF and WHEN i get FAC look to buy a used .25? 

Thanks all. 

PS, obviously i am open to other opinions and views.

.177 is more than adequate for the small game you note. I took many squirrels and rabbits with much older guns and less accurate/lighter pellets in .177 when I was a youngster-40+ years ago. The modern .177 guns and pellets are well beyond that level of performance and it was more than good enough back then.