Choosing the right Athlon, (Help please)

I'm looking at three different models of Athlon scopes.

The Helos BTR, ARES BTR and the Midas TAC.

They all fall in the price range I have in mind. I saw the review a couple of days ago that put the TAC back on my list. I know one has locking turrents and the other a zero stop.

The power option so far has been my leading point, but I don't want that to sway my opinion. 

Chime in if you have one or all of these and let me know what works the best for you.

Thanks All

Aloha sigp220,

I own all three of the scopes your looking at. Really it depends on what you need, example if you need illuminated reticles then ares or helos, if not the midas tac. As for the quality of the glass, the midas tac is the clearest with my eyes looking through the scope but the ares is really, really close in clarity. Also don't for get about the weight of the scopes, are you benchrest shooting or hunting shooting because I know the ares just feels heavier when I'm hunting with that scope. 

Aloha,

Keone

If you can, consider paying more for an Ares ETR. It’s a lifetime scope, far more value than any of their range. I have had the old Midas btr and was very happy, but the Ares etr is bonkers in every area.

i was really concerned about the 25 yard parallax, this is a problem at full magnification, but if you dial it down to 10x you can shoot at about 12 yards easily. The mil version reticle is one of the narrowest etchings I have seen in an ffp scope so at full mag they don’t become obtrusive, the target dot in the centre it small enough to not hide your impact marks at 100 yards.

if you get it and don’t like it, I am positive that you will be able to sell it in a flash, at very little loss...

TAC all the way.

Except for the awesome reticle in the Ares BTR, I prefer the TAC as well.

Helos is basically an Argos BTR with locking turrets, some friends that own the Helos have wished they'd gone higher in quality and had some problems.

The Argos BTR 6-24, I've owned 4 of them, have been surprisingly good scopes for me but the quality can be sporadic from what I've read, especially compared to the TAC which higher and has been consistent.

Haven't had an ETR yet.

Cronus BTR is of course very nice.

Gentleman,

Thank you. For your responses. 

I'm leaning heavily toward the tac now. The only thing that caught my eye was dreuf comment about clarity. Found this same thing in the aztec line. The 3X18 works great all the way to 18X, the 25X starts to fall off at about 20X in clarity. Why own a 25X scope if I'm going to leave it on 18X.

I have received my ares btr this week and today was its frst day at range.

My ares btr is above my midas tac. Optic is clear and crisp on all mag range.

The only exception is the turret which are far away better than the ares btr ( more crisp and audible ). 

The ares btr offers higher mag range, very nice reticle, illumination, top clarity and resolution. 

The tac is a very nice scope but the ares btr offers more. The price increase is fair.

I'm leaning heavily toward the tac now. The only thing that caught my eye was dreuf comment about clarity. Found this same thing in the aztec line.

Don’t know where that comment came from? The Midas TAC has HD glass and is as clear as the Vortex Razor HD LH and the Nightforce SHV when compared side by side. It’s just as good as those two for less $$$. The Aztec isn’t even in the same league as the Midas TAC.

I'm leaning heavily toward the tac now. The only thing that caught my eye was dreuf comment about clarity. Found this same thing in the aztec line.

Don’t know where that comment came from? The Midas TAC has HD glass and is as clear as the Vortex Razor HD LH and the Nightforce SHV when compared side by side. It’s just as good as those two for less $$$. The Aztec isn’t even in the same league as the Midas TAC.

My point is about MY ares btr having better glass than MY midas tac. I made a side by side compraraison looking at a tree at 150m and the resolution on my ares btr is better.

Anyway the tac remains a best in class scope.

Well, How's this for a strong hint. To buy Athlon, Last week a buddy of mine fellow airgunner stop in at the local gun shop. Low and behold the Athlon rep. was there. So having discussed this with him in length he was ready for the rep. After explaining our use for the Athlon scope to the rep. he pulls out the Tac. "This is all you'll need". 

Needless to say my friend will be stopping this week to see if he (the shop owner) decided to carry Athlon scopes. If so an order will be placed.

Side note: If you get the chance take a look at Athlon's binoculars

Seems as though the Midas tac is everyone’s current fav mid-range scope. I have a Helos 6-24x and I like it a lot. I use it for FT (Hunter) and it has several features that I now consider essential. The turrets are responsive and they LOCK. The APLR2 MOA reticle has been working out well for FT and it’s ILLUMINATED (old eyes, dark 55yd Targets, dark woods + cloudy day = wasted lead at 16X). The scope also focus ranges very well. The glass isn’t ED or HD and I don’t have a Midas-tac to compare it to. But I do have a Big Nikko and a SIII (both 10-50X60) and no the Helos isn’t quite as sharp as these guys but neither have a reticle that is as easy to see under the above conditions. The Helos just seems to fit my particular set of needs better than anything else I’ve tried. Uj

If you shoot Hunter FT and are looking for a good scope, look at the Athlon Midas HMR 2.5-15x-50 with AHMR MOA reticle. Its SFP, but with 15X, you're probably going to leave it there anyway. Good clear HD glass, very nice MOA reticle. It does have an IR reticle, and focus ranges well. Plus its cheaper than the Midas TAC...

1565121525_12346743285d49dbf5eebc31.91587053_AHMR-SFP-IR-MOA.png