• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Choosing my first

First, a big Thank You in advance to all advice offered. I know the "help me choose a gun" threads are quite common, and probably get a bit tiresome, but please, Help me choose a gun! 😉

I've been doing a lot of research, learned a bunch, but all the information gets overwhelming for a noob. I plan to use the gun for pest elimination (mostly squirrels, but possibly an occasional groundhog), so I'm pretty set on a 0.22. Like a recent poster, I live in a suburban development with an HOA and so I too am looking for a gun which is quiet (or can be made quiet). I'd like to be in the $300ish range. I've been looking at the rws 34 and the HW95. If I get the HW, then I'll have to wait on buying a scope. If I get the Diana, I can get a serviceable scope and still be in my price range (I think). Should I spend the extra and just get the HW? As a novice, is it worth it? Will I appreciate a difference? Should I be looking at any other options? I know...first world problems.

I appreciate the help!

Both are excellent spring guns and should give you decades of shooting fun. Both are capable hunters too. I’m partial to HW spring guns.

This is the best value I’ve seen on the hw95. https://www.krale.shop/en/weihrauch-hw95/

Whatever you choose, run at least 1500 pellets through the gun before you consider changing anything. 

good luck choosing 

R

You could get into a PCP for 300-$350

Benjamin Maximus and a cheap Chinese pump and small filter about $300. Better yet a magazine fed Fortitude and pump for around $350 You would probly want a moderator as well.

https://www.crosman.com/maximus-22

https://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles?p=2&powerplant=19

Or the gauntlet is a decent gun also.

https://www.airgundepot.com/umarex-gauntlet-synthetic.html#AGD-43118328

Remember this is just a small taste of the dark side and we would welcome you into it. Although it's a bit more spendy once you are all in. ;^)

While I don’t have experience with the 34, it’s always recommend and liked by many. 

I personally favor the Weihrauch line. I don’t have a 95, but do own 2 97s & a 30, all in .177.

On that note, don’t overlook that caliber. I find it (in my experience & against conventional wisdom) a better choice. It has a more forgiving flatter trajectory, flies faster to it’s destination, & is very effective for your intended use. I have downed more tree rats with my .177 Springers, than with my .22 Springer. 

A walther terrus would also work well. It also has 1/2x20unf threads on the muzzle which gives you the option of easily putting a sound moderator on it.

I have no experience with the HW you're considering but the D34 is a powerful springer. I'd suggest detuning it a bit if you plan on using in a neighborhood where you are in close proximity to other houses.

I like the idea of having threads present to easily install a moderator. Can either the Diana 34 or HW95 be retrofitted with a moderator? Can barrels be 'threaded' after the fact?

The Walther LGV comes threaded. The HW50 Hunter from AoA has a moderator. The LGV is a great gun, but probably heavier than the HWs. Great shooting gun! The moderator makes a good difference on the report. 

That Model 34 in .177 is a great little mid-range platform. It is usually pretty accurate from the factory. I like that one in .177 because the trajectory is a bit flatter at that power level. Pellets are inexpensive and there is an enormous selection. It is a good, solid, rifle yet not too heavy to carry all day. Not so powerful that it will destroy scopes and be a nightmare to learn to shoot. The price is generally pretty fair and the rifle is a good value for the money. All the other rifles mentioned are very nice as well, some are nicer than the Model 34. Some are more accurate out of the box. Also my M36 (which is a dandified 34) is plenty quiet without a moderator. It is in .177.

Good luck making your choice.