• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

choosing between scopes

I am still looking for a scope for my Taipan. I went down to a local shop and looked at the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30 boy it sure is a nice clear scope. Its parallax only adjusts to 25 but if it is turned down under ten X I think I could use it no problem at ten yards. I like the reticle in the one I was looking at. One downfall is it is heavy! Have also been wanting to check out a Nightforce NX8 but have not looked thru one in awhile. They will focus down to ten yards. I wonder if I would be sorry getting a scope that I can’t use at full power at a short distance. Any ideas?

I've given up on seeing scope in person first and just buy them mail order. My next scope will likely be a black hound 6-24X. Gets good reviews and not terribly expensive. I think it focuses to 10 yards. I'd like to have a half mil dot recticle, however, and I'm not sure it has it. It seems like it would be handy for hold over.

I find 6X to be about as high as I want to use for most shots hunting. But target shooting it is handier to have more magnification. Scope with more magnification are heavier due to the size of the lenses. I currently have a Hawke 2-7 Vantage on my Prod and a Primary Arms 4-14X on my Avenger. The PA is FFP, side focus parallax. I've been pleasantly surprised with the Hawke. I will also consider getting another Hawke when I actually pull the trigger, so to speak.

Yes, the Blackhound 6-24x with the Alpha reticle has half-mil dot hash marks in vertical and 0.2 mil hashes in horizontal.

I like my Blackhound scopes.

https://www.blackhoundoptics.com/files/2019/03/ALPHA-SUBTENSION-DATA.pdf

Screenshot from 2021-06-08 20-13-59.1623197880.png

I just purchased the Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 which focuses down to 10 yards. Which I have been able to test at least at 16x. I will try at 24x and see how it looks tonight. It's around 25oz, and about 14 1/4" long. plus has good reticle for holdover the is in the FFP. 

At 6x the FFP reticle is still usable, while 24x allows for better zeroing of paper punching at longer ranges when Field of view doesn't matter much. 

20210608_214033.1623238840.jpg
EBR-2C-MRAD.1623238857.jpg
EBR-2C-MOA.1623238857.jpg

Depends on a few things, the ETR 4.5-30 is a large scope, so if you will be using 20+ magnification often it's be a decent choice. I liked mine but at the time the APRS6 reticle was not offered so ended up selling it. 

If I didn't need higher magnification I'd go for the ETR 3-18x50. A lot can be done successfully with 18x and it's not a huge scope. Plus it focuses dow to 10Y on 18x.

For me the glass in the Midas TAC's seem better than the Ares BTR's, but not as good as the ETR.

If you want milliradian go for the APRS6 with .2 reticle hashes and take note that there are not annoying mil line numbers directly off the vertical crosshair. 

When knocking pigeons I often have shots at 10 or 15 yards, sometimes less! And I don't want to be forced to change my magnification. I guess I can live with a 15y minimum parallax, but not less.

In the end, it all depends on your hunting ranges....

Really, what other requirements for a scope do you have?

FFP or SFP?

Hunting or target, or both?

How wide of a FoV do you need at minimum magnification (depending on your minimum hunting range)?

How much of a magnification do you need at the top end (depending on your maximum range and size of kill zone, AND the quality of your eyes)?

Do you dial your turrets, or use holdoffs, or do both?

Is weight very important to you? Length?

Do you need an illuminated reticle, or a grid style reticle?

And most important...: What's your budget? 😊

Matthias

I was able to look thru a couple Nightforce NX8s today. They are nice scopes. I am taking my time on this and hoping I don't buy wrong. I haven't had many front FFP scopes actually just two and they were cheapos. I thought FFP is what I would get, but I just don't know if I would be happy with a reticle that changes sizes and being able to only use half the scope ranges. I have used second focal plane for 50 years. I don't think I care foe the Ares reticle enough to buy it. Nice clear scope but I don't care for the christmas tree type reticles. 

Power I don't much ever turn a scope up over 20 because of mirage. Shooting pigeons or rabbits probably 10 or below. As my eyes age cheap glass makes me feel like I have been on a carnival ride. 

Another good scope brand that doesn't get as much attention as is should is Crimson Trace. They have pretty dang awesome glass and focus down to 10 yards. The series 5 CS scopes are going for a decent price on Midway right now, fwiw. If weight is a concern, then you probably don't want a 34mm tube, but I found out weight doesn't matter as much as I thought. I personally will take weight, for good optical clarity.