• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Choosing a moderator is the most difficult....

Went with the STO Falx myself. 

Liked the thought put into the noise suppression with actual baffles compared to just felt and washers. I also liked that I can buy separate baffle stacks when improvements are made.

Sound suppression is very good at 30 fpe that I am shooting right now out of an FX Impact M3 Compact .22. Once I tune up the power for slugs, I'm sure it will still be very quiet.

_IMG0645-Edit-1.1629766681.jpg

I have the M3 in 22 with the 600 on order and I am wondering how STO compares to the stock MOD that is supposed to come with the M3?.

Unfortunately, the Compact doesn't come with a moderator, so I have no idea how the stock FX can sounds.

Went with the STO Falx myself. 

Liked the thought put into the noise suppression with actual baffles compared to just felt and washers. I also liked that I can buy separate baffle stacks when improvements are made.

Sound suppression is very good at 30 fpe that I am shooting right now out of an FX Impact M3 Compact .22. Once I tune up the power for slugs, I'm sure it will still be very quiet.

_IMG0645-Edit-1.1629766681.jpg

I have the M3 in 22 with the 600 on order and I am wondering how STO compares to the stock MOD that is supposed to come with the M3?.

Unfortunately, the Compact doesn't come with a moderator, so I have no idea how the stock FX can sounds.

Thanks . 

I am also a DonnyFL guy. Since I am not a physics or math person, when I look for a moderator I generally ask Donny. He generally tells me which moderator he thinks would work best to minimize the muzzle report for the particular airgun that I am looking at. I have several Tontos, a Sumo, a Shogun, a Tatsu and a Ronin. I have no real data aside from sound meters for relative readings which I do not consider especially accurate, but they all really quiet my airguns. I've been happy with all of them and would not hesitate to ask for advice from Donny again for my next airgun.

Reactions: jmohme
Just bought a Diana xr200 .22 does anyone know the adapter part# and what moderators will work for it. Just getting into the pcp world.
They don’t have it listed on their website, but email DonnyFl, he might be able to help you out with an adapter.

I have 7 moderators I try on my guns to see what performs best. And when I say perform, I mean accuracy not sound suppression. If a rifle shoots two the same, I obviously go with the one that is quieter. I have Donny’s, Huma, 0db, and Buck Rail mods. For only 40 bucks the Buck rail really does well on all my rifles, it’s just not as small as some of my other ones. My DonnyFL is also one of the mods that does well on a number of rifles. My Revere doesn’t like my 0db 110c, which is funny because it can be purchased as a combination, but it likes a Donny Tanto similar in size. Rifles I have with decent shrouds work well with the two Donny Tastu’s I have. The Huma mod 40 avalanche is my newest and I will reserve any comments until I can test it. In theory it’s nice because I can add/delete sections.

Last edited:
They don’t have it listed on their website, but email DonnyFl, he might be able to help you out with an adapter.

I have 7 moderators I try on my guns to see what performs best. And when I say perform, I mean accuracy not sound suppression. If a rifle shoots two the same, I obviously go with the one that is quieter. I have Donny’s, Huma, 0db, and Buck Rail mods. For only 40 bucks the Buck rail really does well on all my rifles, it’s just not as small as some of my other ones. My DonnyFL is also one of the mods that does well on a number of rifles. My Revere doesn’t like my 0db 110c, which is funny because it can be purchased as a combination, but it likes a Donny Tanto similar in size. Rifles I have with decent shrouds work well with the two Donny Tastu’s I have. The Huma mod 40 avalanche is my newest and I will reserve any comments until I can test it. In theory it’s nice because I can add/delete sections.
Ty for info

Since I live in a extremely quite semi-private neighborhood and only use my airguns in my backyard I have done a lot of testing with different moderators. In one of the pics from left to right are the Hugget snipe, the 3D printed Buck-Rail, the DonnyFL Sumo and FX moderators. In another pic you can see the DonnyFl FX next to my other 3D printed Cameron moderator. From my experience starting from the most efficient to the least in this same order are the Hugget snipe, followed by the DonnyFL Sumo, the FX and the two 3D printed moderators the last ones.

IMG_9013.jpeg

IMG_6553.jpeg

IMG_6552.jpeg

IMG_8774.jpeg

IMG_8723.jpeg

IMG_6518.jpeg

View attachment 435720

IMG_6390.jpeg

IMG_6450.png

Last edited:
I went with 0db on my Prophet. Good moderator. Quiet and looks good.
Then I bought a .25 barrel for the same gun, but then realized that my 0db was only for .22, so I added an RTI carbon fiber moderator to my order.
I did not expect it to be as quiet as the 0db, but I think it is. Being carbon fiber it is also very light, and it also came with a second end cap so it works with .22 through 30 caliber.

Now for the down side. The first RTI Hush I received clipped badly. I tried all the usual things, but no go.
Plus side, the folks at RTI Arms Shop jumped all over it and had a new replacement delivered in days.

On two of my .25 Marauder rifles I installed short shrouds which reduces the effective baffling inside. I did so for use hunting in thick woods as the shorter rifle is easier to manuver and not hang the shroud up in branches. What I notice is that my short shroud Marauder with a DFL Tatsu or Tanto is still noisier than my similar Marauder still with full length shroud. So I am going to say the Marauder built in suppressor is more effective than the add on type running around 56 fpe. I was a bit disappointed in that. I had thought the suppressor would have been more effective than the removed length of shroud.

I've recently started making my own moderators. I've experimented with several different sizes, baffles, materials etc. What I've found has a substantial impact on performance is bore size. The closer the bore is to the size of the projectile, the quieter it usually is. Internal volume, length, and baffle design all have a significant impact too, but none of those seem to matter if the bore is too large.

My best results have come from a 6" length, 42mm ID carbon fiber tube, with a K Baffle core that routes the blast into an outer cavity filled with felt or filter foam, and a 6 to 7 mm bore. Most of my focus has been on .22 caliber designs. I may find things change when I move up to larger calibers.

I've also been experimenting with cone baffles with decent success.

Reactions: bucketboy
After you’re done being hung up on the sound of a mod or how cool it looks, it’s time to see what it does to your accuracy. With some guns the difference between 4 or 5 different mods is subtle. On other guns the difference is really noticeable. If you only own one brand and it’s all you use on your gun, you will never know. But maybe that’s a good thing because it’s another expensive rabbit hole to go down. I don’t like them for quite a few reasons but they are necessary if you don’t have a loaded shroud. Some mods are definitely better than others and shockingly one of the most popular brands is at the bottom of my list.
You hit the nail on the head!!!! Unfortunately for me with a few guns they shoot better with mods on them just like if they were barrel tuners. Good example of this my Ghost without a mod it shoots like crap but put a mod on the end like a Donny FL shoots 25.3 JTS dime size groups 50 yards and JBS 25.3 RD no problem. Without it looks like a shotgun pattern!!!!! My Redwolf shoots better without one.

You hit the nail on the head!!!! Unfortunately for me with a few guns they shoot better with mods on them just like if they were barrel tuners. Good example of this my Ghost without a mod it shoots like crap but put a mod on the end like a Donny FL shoots 25.3 JTS dime size groups 50 yards and JBS 25.3 RD no problem. Without it looks like a shotgun pattern!!!!! My Redwolf shoots better without one.
Is your Ghost wasting air? Maybe a mod is helping strip it?

The closer the bore is to the size of the projectile, the quieter it usually is. Internal volume, length, and baffle design all have a significant impact too, but none of those seem to matter if the bore is too large.
Precisely for this same reason, I have noticed that the Huggets moderators are more efficient than the DFL, since this last ones are designed to be used one size up to avoid clipping. However, this in turn prevents them from further minimizing the noise compared to those that are designed to be used in the correct size of the desired caliber 😉.

Reactions: namo81